Re: [regenrx] Re: looking for cheap interstage transformer source

  • Hue Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
      My semi-experience suggests that just about any transformer will take the paltry 100 volts
      or less you will likely be using with battery tubes, and the current rating will also be okay
      for the low milliamps they run.
      I recently bought some of CalRads high to low transformers. Just looking at the tiny things
      (or should I say, “looking FOR them” ) did not convince me that they really “transformed”
      effectively. Bill, have you found (or read) that their efficiency is less than transformers
      with more metal and perhaps, higher inductance?
      I would tend to concur, based on my experience using AC power transformers out of
      the common “AC adapter” for audio use. Worked, but not totally convincing as to
      efficiency.
      -Hue
      --- In mailto:regenrx%40yahoogroups.com, Bill M <radioexray@...> wrote:

      > Mouser had some transistor transformers a while back - maybe they still
      > do - that were rated for 200mw. I checked the specs and they were
      > saying 100vdc breakdown. I've used them as a replacement for the
      > detector in an Atwater Kent Model 20C as well as sets like two tuber
      > regens with battery level B+.
      > On the down side you don't get anywhere as much audio thru one as you do
      > a 'real' transformer. The HX124C (Hammond) is the least expensive that
      > you'll find off the shelf. They run close to $15 both at AES and RadioDaze.
      >
      > GL,
      > Bill
      >
      > w9ifz wrote:
      > > i am looking for a couple 3:1 interstage audio transformers. cheap
      > >
      > > does anyone know how much voltage these transistor transformers can take?
      > >
      > > i am going to use 3Q5 tubes so the actual voltage will be much less than a normal tube set
      > >
      > > thanks, stan

    • Bill M
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
        Hi,
        No question about it Hue, they definitely don't deliver the volume that
        a big transformer does. In the case of the A-K 20 thats no biggie -
        plenty of gain to work with there. I've tried them in the Hikers and
        other similar circuits and the little fellas will "work" but if it were
        to come to a recommendation for the "best" I'd definitely go with the
        Hammond or similar. In a Hikers the little fella may be adequate on the
        BCB where there's plenty of strong signals - it may be a different
        matter if trying to DX on SW.
        That's the best I can quantify the difference. :)
        -Bill

        Hue Miller wrote:
        > My semi-experience suggests that just about any transformer will take the paltry 100 volts
        > or less you will likely be using with battery tubes, and the current rating will also be okay
        > for the low milliamps they run.
        > I recently bought some of CalRads high to low transformers. Just looking at the tiny things
        > (or should I say, “looking FOR them” ) did not convince me that they really “transformed”
        > effectively. Bill, have you found (or read) that their efficiency is less than transformers
        > with more metal and perhaps, higher inductance?
        > I would tend to concur, based on my experience using AC power transformers out of
        > the common “AC adapter” for audio use. Worked, but not totally convincing as to
        > efficiency.
        > -Hue
        > --- In mailto:regenrx%40yahoogroups.com, Bill M <radioexray@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Mouser had some transistor transformers a while back - maybe they still
        >> do - that were rated for 200mw. I checked the specs and they were
        >> saying 100vdc breakdown. I've used them as a replacement for the
        >> detector in an Atwater Kent Model 20C as well as sets like two tuber
        >> regens with battery level B+.
        >> On the down side you don't get anywhere as much audio thru one as you do
        >> a 'real' transformer. The HX124C (Hammond) is the least expensive that
        >> you'll find off the shelf. They run close to $15 both at AES and RadioDaze.
        >>
        >> GL,
        >> Bill
        >>
        >> w9ifz wrote:
        >>
        >>> i am looking for a couple 3:1 interstage audio transformers. cheap
        >>>
        >>> does anyone know how much voltage these transistor transformers can take?
        >>>
        >>> i am going to use 3Q5 tubes so the actual voltage will be much less than a normal tube set
        >>>
        >>> thanks, stan

      • Hue Miller
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
          I actually bought some of the 200k primary transformers from CalRad for use
          in crystal radio
          circuits. Looking at the transformers, tho, I immediately thought,
          "Hmmmm.....this doesn't
          look so good." -Hue

          Hue Miller wrote:
          > My semi-experience suggests that just about any transformer will take the
          > paltry 100 volts
          > or less you will likely be using with battery tubes, and the current
          > rating will also be okay
          > for the low milliamps they run.
          > I recently bought some of CalRads high to low transformers. Just looking
          > at the tiny things
          > (or should I say, “looking FOR them” ) did not convince me that they
          > really “transformed”
          > effectively. Bill, have you found (or read) that their efficiency is less
          > than transformers
          > with more metal and perhaps, higher inductance?
          > I would tend to concur, based on my experience using AC power transformers
          > out of
          > the common “AC adapter” for audio use. Worked, but not totally convincing
          > as to
          > efficiency.
          > -Hue
          > --- In mailto:regenrx%40yahoogroups.com, Bill M <radioexray@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Mouser had some transistor transformers a while back - maybe they still
          >> do - that were rated for 200mw. I checked the specs and they were
          >> saying 100vdc breakdown. I've used them as a replacement for the
          >> detector in an Atwater Kent Model 20C as well as sets like two tuber
          >> regens with battery level B+.
          >> On the down side you don't get anywhere as much audio thru one as you do
          >> a 'real' transformer. The HX124C (Hammond) is the least expensive that
          >> you'll find off the shelf. They run close to $15 both at AES and
          >> RadioDaze.
          >>
          >> GL,
          >> Bill
          >>
          >> w9ifz wrote:
          >>
          >>> i am looking for a couple 3:1 interstage audio transformers. cheap
          >>>
          >>> does anyone know how much voltage these transistor transformers can
          >>> take?
          >>>
          >>> i am going to use 3Q5 tubes so the actual voltage will be much less than
          >>> a normal tube set
          >>>
          >>> thanks, stan

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > "In the interest of Regenerating radio's lost art of Regeneration"Yahoo!
          > Groups Links

        • Bill M
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
            Actually those aren't half bad for crystal work with the hi-z. I use
            one in my DX set. There's better ones out there for more $$$.
            But that's life. In a Perfect World there would be a parts store on
            every block with all-American made parts that last forever with all
            under 99 cents :)

            -Bill