What is the future of Reflexology

  • fohnno
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 1:15 PM
      I have been reading various information about Reflexology online that has been associating Reflexology with Massage Therapy. It seems that we may be loosing ground as it relates to being able to practice our healing art professionally as Reflexologist. This is an article that represents the future of Reflexology. http://www.abmp.com/news/reflexology-certification-bill-signed-into-law-in-washington/

      What are your thoughts....
    • Brenda Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11 4:52 PM
        What is it about the bill that you find troubling? I've just read it, and
        as I understand it, Washington now recognizes "Certified Reflexologist" as
        a professional credential required to practice, in the same way that one
        must receive a license to practice massage in that state. It does not
        require Reflexologists to train in massage, specifying that Reflexologists
        must not use "massage" or related terminology to describe their practice.
        These seem to be positive gains to me. Have I misread the bill? I also took
        from it that licensed massage practitioners are allowed to practice
        reflexology with or without being certified in reflexology, which could be
        problematic depending on the quality of reflexology training massage
        schools in the state provide.

        I have been reading various information about Reflexology online that has
        been associating Reflexology with Massage Therapy. It seems that we may be
        loosing ground as it relates to being able to practice our healing art
        professionally as Reflexologist. This is an article that represents the
        future of Reflexology.
        http://www.abmp.com/news/reflexology-certification-bill-signed-into-law-in-washington/

        What are your thoughts....

      • David Patterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13 1:43 PM
          Brenda, Every state has different requirements for Bodywork. Many states exclude Reflexology from massage law, but not all states do that. Delaware does not exclude but includes under massage and bodywork statutes and does not exempt. Reflexology is under Bodywork and requires 500 hours to be a therapist, plus a national test from the NCBTMB which is ludicrous, but it is fact. One should always check the state they live in for Bodywork that is not true massage e.g. Reflexology and Acupressure to be sure you are legal in that state. There is no one National Certifying Organization that does it all by specific disciplines. There was one person, Christine Issel, who got Reflexology exempt in many states for many years. Be happy that your state is in the right spot. Dave Patterson