Re: [Reflexology Community ] What is alternative medicine and complementary medicine?

  • David Patterson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2012
      I agree with Ken, but you really must go from state to state in the USA to find out how things are judged. My own definition of each is that alternative means in place of allopathic and complementary means in addition to allopathic. Depending on each state it is necessary to check what is listed in each law. For example, in Delaware, Reflexology is lumped in with massage. Both are in addition to, but massage can be used in a medical setting if you are a therapist by referral from a physician or insurance, but reflexology is lumped under the massage umbrella for criteria and does meet the therapist status here because you need 500 hours and a Board recognized national test to become a therapist which is at present the NCBTMB exam. Therefore, you can only work for relaxation and stress release and homeostasis (body balance). Pain and stress are symptoms, so one can work on a client for those. As we all know the real healing comes from our immune system that works well in all situations when the wires (nerves) are sending the proper messages to the brain. This means that stress release, relaxation, and balance can help the body send messages to the brain which in turn sends correction back to the unbalanced part of the body. We are actually then allowing the body to what it is designed to do......balance and correct. The body is doing the healing not us.
      Dave Patterson

    • Jane Lanverman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2012
        I have 16 year old male who suffers from migraines so bad he has to be hospitalized. The doctors believe it may be from a concussion to the brain stem after having two concussions (unknown) playing football.
        Does anyone have experience with these types of migraines? Can you share your treatment plan?

        Thanks!
        Jane