Re: [Reflexology Community ] What is alternative medicine and complementary medicine?

  • Kenneth Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2011
       Ahmed, I will atempt to address the clarification that you seek. "Traditional" medicine in general refers to  allopathic medicine which has been practiced in the "western world" for a few hundred years.allopthic medicine atempts to cure disease processes through the use of drugs. Not too many years ago ALL other forms of healing work was concidered "Alternative" in the western world. (alterative to allopathic care) in the past 40 odd years or so as the AMA and and others have "determined" that certain alterative pactices such as Chiropractic, Acupuncture, theraputic massage , and a few others may have paliative value and are therefore could be concidered to be complimentary to allopathic care. Most of us, alternative pacticioners, treat the person and not the disease process. We use techniques that have been successfully in use for thousands of years
      to help our clients by helping the functions of the body to normalize themselves. In a body that has normal function there is no place for disease.  Hope fully this helps.... Ken

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2012
        I agree with Ken, but you really must go from state to state in the USA to find out how things are judged. My own definition of each is that alternative means in place of allopathic and complementary means in addition to allopathic. Depending on each state it is necessary to check what is listed in each law. For example, in Delaware, Reflexology is lumped in with massage. Both are in addition to, but massage can be used in a medical setting if you are a therapist by referral from a physician or insurance, but reflexology is lumped under the massage umbrella for criteria and does meet the therapist status here because you need 500 hours and a Board recognized national test to become a therapist which is at present the NCBTMB exam. Therefore, you can only work for relaxation and stress release and homeostasis (body balance). Pain and stress are symptoms, so one can work on a client for those. As we all know the real healing comes from our immune system that works well in all situations when the wires (nerves) are sending the proper messages to the brain. This means that stress release, relaxation, and balance can help the body send messages to the brain which in turn sends correction back to the unbalanced part of the body. We are actually then allowing the body to what it is designed to do......balance and correct. The body is doing the healing not us.
        Dave Patterson

      • Jane Lanverman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2012
          I have 16 year old male who suffers from migraines so bad he has to be hospitalized. The doctors believe it may be from a concussion to the brain stem after having two concussions (unknown) playing football.
          Does anyone have experience with these types of migraines? Can you share your treatment plan?

          Thanks!
          Jane