Re: [Reeftank] Missing Anemone

  • Vern and Sherrie
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
      Have you checked for bristle worms? My anemone dissapeared on me also, it was there one day and the next it just seemed to have exploded I found pieces of it everywhere. My favorite LFS suggested bristle worms. I had never seen them in the year my tank had been set-up. However, I looked for them and found them all over in the rock.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2004
        If they are Bristle worms you can make a homemade trap just cut the foot off a pair of panty hose and put some sand or substrate of some kind in it along with some food (frozen) tie it off and placed it in the bottom of the tank, when the worms go after the food they will get stuck in the nylon and you can dispose of them. Give it a try.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2004
            Wait, it will show up if alive, I've had them disappear for more than a
            month

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2004
              Tony,
              Thanks, I'll keep my eye out. I had to find out if it was the
              injured one or not so I peeled him off the tank wall.
              It is the injured one.
              So now I'm going to go crazy wondering if the other one is still
              there or not. :P

              Jaz

            • jazmynethebiker
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 20, 2004

                <sspringer1204@w...> wrote:
                > Have you checked for bristle worms? My anemone dissapeared on me
                also, it was there one day and the next it just seemed to have
                exploded I found pieces of it everywhere. My favorite LFS suggested
                bristle worms. I had never seen them in the year my tank had been
                set-up. However, I looked for them and found them all over in the
                rock.

              • Tony Romano
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 20, 2004
                  I don't think bristle worms would do that, I have them in my take and they
                  don't seem to be eating anything.

                  <sspringer1204@w...> wrote:
                  > Have you checked for bristle worms? My anemone dissapeared on me
                  also, it was there one day and the next it just seemed to have
                  exploded I found pieces of it everywhere. My favorite LFS suggested
                  bristle worms. I had never seen them in the year my tank had been
                  set-up. However, I looked for them and found them all over in the
                  rock.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Tony Romano
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20, 2004
                    http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/msubpestbworm/a/aa102198.htm

                    Here read this....

                  • Tony Romano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 20, 2004
                      my tank....not take

                      <sspringer1204@w...> wrote:
                      > Have you checked for bristle worms? My anemone dissapeared on me
                      also, it was there one day and the next it just seemed to have
                      exploded I found pieces of it everywhere. My favorite LFS suggested
                      bristle worms. I had never seen them in the year my tank had been
                      set-up. However, I looked for them and found them all over in the
                      rock.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Keith Hundley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 21, 2004
                        99 percent of bristle worms are not that bad.....from what I have
                        read.....they can actually be good for a tank...they eat detritus in the
                        tank...a lot of times, a fish or invert will die for some reason and when
                        the owner looks in later...there are bristle worms in it and they think that
                        is the cause of death....when they are actually just cleaning up the
                        mess.....what you may want to do it put a screen or something on your
                        powerhead where your fish or inverts will not get caught...i have lost
                        several anemones and fish because of that....i simply went to lowes and
                        bought a piece of pvc pipe and drilled holes in it and attached it to the
                        input side of my powerfilters....

                        > If they are Bristle worms you can make a homemade trap just cut the foot
                        off a pair of panty hose and put some sand or substrate of some kind in it
                        along with some food (frozen) tie it off and placed it in the bottom of the
                        tank, when the worms go after the food they will get stuck in the nylon and
                        you can dispose of them. Give it a try.

                        Service.