Can you have too much filtration?

  • ~~Chapster~~
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hello all,
      Is it possible to have too much filtration in a tank? We have a 180 gal tank
      with 2 flu-val 403 canister filters (1 going through a UV filter), 2 intakes
      (w/ cotton fiber) leading to the sump, and a Nautilus te protein skimmer. Is
      this over kill or are we good to go? One of the flu-val's pumps has burned
      out and we need to replace it if we should keep running both canisters.

      thanks for any help

      ~~Chapster~~

    • The Grand Pooba
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        You will get a very wide difference of opinions on this. Many people just
        run a skimmer. I and currently just using a skimmer and will be adding a
        refugion soon. Many people believe that canister filters do as much harm
        as good. Because when you replace your cartridges, or clean them, you are
        getting rid of a lot of the bateria need in the tank. The tank needs to go
        through a mini cycle to grow replacements for them.

        Matt

        >From: "~~Chapster~~" <chapkl@...>
        >To: "reeftank@yahoogroups.com" <reeftank@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Reeftank] Can you have too much filtration?
        >Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:39:56 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
        >
        >Hello all,
        >Is it possible to have too much filtration in a tank? We have a 180 gal
        >tank
        >with 2 flu-val 403 canister filters (1 going through a UV filter), 2
        >intakes
        >(w/ cotton fiber) leading to the sump, and a Nautilus te protein skimmer.
        >Is
        >this over kill or are we good to go? One of the flu-val's pumps has burned
        >out and we need to replace it if we should keep running both canisters.
        >
        >thanks for any help
        >
        >~~Chapster~~

      • Tony Romano
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
          I would think it depends on what you are trying to filter. If you wants
          heavy soils removed the canisters would help. If you tank is fairly clean
          and you have lots of bio, canisters would be a waste.

          You will get a very wide difference of opinions on this. Many people just
          run a skimmer. I and currently just using a skimmer and will be adding a
          refugion soon. Many people believe that canister filters do as much harm
          as good. Because when you replace your cartridges, or clean them, you are

          getting rid of a lot of the bateria need in the tank. The tank needs to go
          through a mini cycle to grow replacements for them.

          Matt

          >From: "~~Chapster~~" <chapkl@...>
          >To: "reeftank@yahoogroups.com" <reeftank@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Reeftank] Can you have too much filtration?
          >Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:39:56 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
          >
          >Hello all,
          >Is it possible to have too much filtration in a tank? We have a 180 gal
          >tank
          >with 2 flu-val 403 canister filters (1 going through a UV filter), 2
          >intakes
          >(w/ cotton fiber) leading to the sump, and a Nautilus te protein skimmer.
          >Is
          >this over kill or are we good to go? One of the flu-val's pumps has burned
          >out and we need to replace it if we should keep running both canisters.
          >
          >thanks for any help
          >
          >~~Chapster~~

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          <http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17058404
          69:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3050
          4&media=atkins> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1663535/rand=447893605>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • John Crunk
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
            What size is your sump and what size is the powerhead in it. You can do without the other fluval, but I would put about 4 powerheads in the tank so that you can get increased circulation and consider a wave maker.

            John
            From: "~~Chapster~~" <chapkl@...>
            Date: 2003/08/01 Fri PM 12:39:56 EDT
            To: "reeftank@yahoogroups.com" <reeftank@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [Reeftank] Can you have too much filtration?

          • John Crunk
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
              I forgot to add in my last post that I do run a canister filer, a fluval, but I only run Bioballs in it and I don't rinse them. Just because there is filter media and carbon for the canister filter doesn't mean you have to use it :)

              John
              From: "The Grand Pooba" <daytonians@...>
              Date: 2003/08/01 Fri PM 01:04:12 EDT
              To: reeftank@yahoogroups.com