cleaner shrimp

  • pinky11204
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
      ive been having ick and other parasites is it true that the cleaner
      shrimp cleans them of parasites??
      any help on how to get rid of them would be appreciated
      thanks
    • blstravler
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
        -
        Yes and no, yes cleaner shrimp will "help" however you should not
        look at them as a cure. What is your salinity at? Do you use a UV
        sterilizer? Give some other parameters of your tank as well and you
        will get more suggestions form me and others.

        -- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "pinky11204" <pinky11204@y...> wrote:
        > ive been having ick and other parasites is it true that the cleaner
        > shrimp cleans them of parasites??
        > any help on how to get rid of them would be appreciated
        > thanks
      • John Crunk
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
          It is true that cleaner shrip eat parasites, but you would be better to get you an UV sterilizer. I used to have problems with this and heard much debat about using them. But as one person put it, the only people that complain about UV Sterilizers are the ones that don't have them. This turned out to be very true and all of my parasite problems have become a thing of the past :)

          John
          From: "pinky11204" <pinky11204@...>
          Date: 2003/06/02 Mon PM 03:15:40 EDT
          To: reeftank@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [Reeftank] cleaner shrimp

        • pinky11204
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
            i have a 75 gal. reef tank my saline is at 20 with the eco filter
            system no protein skimmer and my tangs keep on getting ick and my
            percula are also getting white rash like (parasites) and then
            dying my local pet store told me to get cleaner shrimp and neon
            gobies to get rid of the parasites any ideas would be appreciated
          • John Crunk
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
              Salinity should be around 1.023 - 1.025 for reef tank, if you have Fish only tank just use meds. Either way, you should get a UV sterilize as was suggested before. There is no guareentee with cleaner shrimp or any other fish and some of them can get ick just like the fish you have. This idea your LFS has suggested just doesn't make a lot of sense. Joe at Island aquatics can make you a great deal on a UV sterilizer if you email him. joe@...

              John
              From: "pinky11204" <pinky11204@...>
              Date: 2003/06/03 Tue AM 11:54:44 EDT
              To: reeftank@yahoogroups.com

            • John Crunk
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                Salinity should be around 1.023 - 1.025 for reef tank, if you have Fish only tank just use meds. Either way, you should get a UV sterilize as was suggested before. There is no guareentee with cleaner shrimp or any other fish and some of them can get ick just like the fish you have. This idea your LFS has suggested just doesn't make a lot of sense. Joe at Island aquatics can make you a great deal on a UV sterilizer if you email him. joe@... and tell him John Crunk sent you :)

                John
                From: "pinky11204" <pinky11204@...>
                Date: 2003/06/03 Tue AM 11:54:44 EDT
                To: reeftank@yahoogroups.com

              • blstravler
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                  First thing is first bring your salinity, gradually up to 24-26, most
                  parasites can't live at this level, many reef keepers including
                  myself keep there leves this high. If you have a reef you have live
                  rock, I would keep the eco filter but you need to invest in a
                  skimmer, I have kept an eco system before, as in my experience and
                  others that I know that use this type of filtration, we all used a
                  skimmer. Also what type of macro algea do you have in the ECO and how
                  often doyou need to trim it back, remember to leave the light on over
                  the eco system on 24/7 as this is key. Neon gobies? total waste of
                  money, besdies they will not solve your parasite problem, I might be
                  worng but I have never heard of a gobie or seen a gobie take
                  parasites off of a fish? If some one has, fill me in. Next invest in
                  a UV sterilizer. I use one for about 2 hours every night, just set
                  the timer and forget about it. You can pick up a decent UV unit for
                  not a lot of cash.

                  Last but not least, DO NOT BY A RED SEA BERLIN SKIMMER!!!

                  Contact Joe at Island Aquatics, and he can set you up with a better
                  berlin skimmer then the one from red sea, trust me. He can also set
                  you up with a UV Sterilizer, he's a goos guy and won't screw you on
                  prices.

                  Also one thing i did with my eco system was I changed out approx 1/2
                  cup of "mud" a qaurter. I saw very good improvement in coral life
                  when I did this.

                  In sumation-

                  Raise your salainity up to 24-26 (make sure you use a good quality
                  salt as well, reef crystalsa seems to be agreed on by many to be good
                  product.

                  Invest in a good skimmer, if you want to keep other things in your
                  tank alive. I use a DAS skimmer, a little pricey but like lighting
                  this is not an area you want to go cheap on. I don't care what you
                  LFS has to say.

                  Invest in a UV sterilizer.

                  Just my thoughts

                  Keith

                  One last question what do you keep your temp at?

                  --- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "pinky11204" <pinky11204@y...> wrote:
                  > i have a 75 gal. reef tank my saline is at 20 with the eco filter
                  > system no protein skimmer and my tangs keep on getting ick and my
                  > percula are also getting white rash like (parasites) and then
                  > dying my local pet store told me to get cleaner shrimp and neon
                  > gobies to get rid of the parasites any ideas would be appreciated
                • MICHAEL COVELLI
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                    HELP.
                    I also have Powder Blue Tang and percula clown with ick for a month now.
                    I had cleaner wrasse and cleaner shrimp. wrasse disappeared as (well as flame scallop shell and all)!
                    The cleaner shrimp does a good job on my pigmy angel and damsel but the Tang runs away from the shrimp.

                    Mike
                    pinky11204 <pinky11204@...> wrote:
                    i have a 75 gal. reef tank my saline is at 20 with the eco filter
                    system no protein skimmer and my tangs keep on getting ick and my
                    percula are also getting white rash like (parasites) and then
                    dying my local pet store told me to get cleaner shrimp and neon
                    gobies to get rid of the parasites any ideas would be appreciated

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • John Crunk

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                        Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,Thank You,Thank You!THANK YOU,

                        John Crunk <jcrunk@...> wrote:UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer! UV Sterilizer!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                          Sorry, but that question has been asked at least a dozen times in the past week. As you can see the answer is the same every time :)

                          John

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                            that was funny

                            --- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "John Crunk" <jcrunk@b...> wrote:
                            > Sorry, but that question has been asked at least a dozen times in
                            the past week. As you can see the answer is the same every time :)

                            > John

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                          • MICHAEL COVELLI
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                              WHERE CAN i GET A CHEAP ONE FOR NOW ,i AM NOT WORKING AT THIS TIME and money is low
                              blstravler <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:that was funny

                              --- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "John Crunk" <jcrunk@b...> wrote:
                              > Sorry, but that question has been asked at least a dozen times in
                              the past week. As you can see the answer is the same every time :)

                              > John

                              Service.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Brett
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                                Remember, there is not always one right answer.

                                John Crunk <jcrunk@...> wrote:
[...]

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              • John Crunk
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                                  http://www.islandaquatics.com/

                                  John
                                  WHERE CAN i GET A CHEAP ONE FOR NOW ,i AM NOT WORKING AT THIS TIME and money is low
                                  blstravler <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:that was funny

                                  --- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "John Crunk" <jcrunk@b...> wrote:
                                  > Sorry, but that question has been asked at least a dozen times in
                                  the past week. As you can see the answer is the same every time :)

                                  > John

                                  Service.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Service.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Service.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Service.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Lydz
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 11, 2003
                                    Keith....is a uv sterilizer a must in a coral reef tank? And I have a protein skimmer shall I still have to use an overhead filter with submirsible pump? IMy coral reef tank is 55 gallon one with approximately 20 lbs. rocks/.

                                  • bgoodwin
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 11, 2003
                                      I've never had a sterilizer and have healthy fish. I do think they are a
                                      good idea, just not an absolute requirement.

                                      Bob

                                      Keith....is a uv sterilizer a must in a coral reef tank? And I have a
                                      protein skimmer shall I still have to use an overhead filter with
                                      submirsible pump? IMy coral reef tank is 55 gallon one with
                                      approximately 20 lbs. rocks/.

                                      blstravler <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      First thing is first bring your salinity, gradually up to 24-26, most
                                      parasites can't live at this level, many reef keepers including
                                      myself keep there leves this high. If you have a reef you have live
                                      rock, I would keep the eco filter but you need to invest in a
                                      skimmer, I have kept an eco system before, as in my experience and
                                      others that I know that use this type of filtration, we all used a
                                      skimmer. Also what type of macro algea do you have in the ECO and how
                                      often doyou need to trim it back, remember to leave the light on over
                                      the eco system on 24/7 as this is key. Neon gobies? total waste of
                                      money, besdies they will not solve your parasite problem, I might be
                                      worng but I have never heard of a gobie or seen a gobie take
                                      parasites off of a fish? If some one has, fill me in. Next invest in
                                      a UV sterilizer. I use one for about 2 hours every night, just set
                                      the timer and forget about it. You can pick up a decent UV unit for
                                      not a lot of cash.

                                      Last but not least, DO NOT BY A RED SEA BERLIN SKIMMER!!!

                                      Contact Joe at Island Aquatics, and he can set you up with a better
                                      berlin skimmer then the one from red sea, trust me. He can also set
                                      you up with a UV Sterilizer, he's a goos guy and won't screw you on
                                      prices.

                                      Also one thing i did with my eco system was I changed out approx 1/2
                                      cup of "mud" a qaurter. I saw very good improvement in coral life
                                      when I did this.

                                      In sumation-

                                      Raise your salainity up to 24-26 (make sure you use a good quality
                                      salt as well, reef crystalsa seems to be agreed on by many to be good
                                      product.

                                      Invest in a good skimmer, if you want to keep other things in your
                                      tank alive. I use a DAS skimmer, a little pricey but like lighting
                                      this is not an area you want to go cheap on. I don't care what you
                                      LFS has to say.

                                      Invest in a UV sterilizer.

                                      Just my thoughts

                                      Keith

                                      One last question what do you keep your temp at?

                                      --- In reeftank@yahoogroups.com, "pinky11204" <pinky11204@y...> wrote:
                                      > i have a 75 gal. reef tank my saline is at 20 with the eco filter
                                      > system no protein skimmer and my tangs keep on getting ick and my
                                      > percula are also getting white rash like (parasites) and then
                                      > dying my local pet store told me to get cleaner shrimp and neon
                                      > gobies to get rid of the parasites any ideas would be appreciated

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3425083.4707139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                      840469:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16npghuv8/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
                                      Rhd=1055340915%3eM=247865.3425083.4707139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17058404
                                      69:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1055340915%3eM=247865.3425083.4707139.1261774/D=egro
                                      upweb/S=1705840469:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3425083.4707139.1261774/D=egrou
                                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=645097355>

                                    • Brett
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 11, 2003
                                        I don't use a sterilizer, skimmer, or even a filter. There are several different methods to reef keeping. No one way is best. My corals are multiplying all the time. I like the simple method, but you should find what works for you.