Water Purification

  • lactrain10
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2003
      Can anyone give me some insight on water purification units.

      These are my cicumstances. I will be setting up a 55gal display with
      approximately 30gal of water in my sump. I am using water from a
      municipal source. I will be lighting my tank with 6 55w compacts. I
      am new to reef keeping and plan on keeping mainly fish and soft
      corals. Will be staying away from stonies seeing they seem to be a
      bit more difficult and my lighting seems to be insuffcient.

      Should I purchase a RO or RO/DI?

      How many gallons per day should shoot for?

      What stage unit single, two, three?

      Any reccomendations will be appreciated?

      I have gone to two somewhat local fish stores and one recommende RO
      and the other RO/DI.

      Thanks in advance
      Len
    • John Crunk
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2003
        I did some research on RO and RO/DI units some time back and this is what I found. An RO unit is enough for a fish tank and their requirements, but the membranes in the units are pretty expesive. If you can afford it, the RO/DI units are actually better I think for the fish and the membrane last a lot longer. Additionally, if you have more stages, the the membrane will last even longer.

        I bought a 5 stage RO/DI unit from Island Pacifics and the deal was better than anything else I could find, plus the guy that sold it to me is on this group I think.

        John

        > From: lactrain10 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: 2003/05/02 Fri AM 08:41:36 EDT
        > To: reeftank@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Reeftank] Water Purification

      • Island Aquatics
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2003
          A 4 stage RO/DI will be more than sufficient for your aquarium. Depending on your evaporation rate and the amount of water you need to make often, you can choose from a 25 gallon per day to a 60 gallon per day.

          Check out these units.
          I highly recommend them.

          http://www.islandaquatics.com/prod_pur_sp_units.html

          Can anyone give me some insight on water purification units.

          These are my cicumstances. I will be setting up a 55gal display with
          approximately 30gal of water in my sump. I am using water from a
          municipal source. I will be lighting my tank with 6 55w compacts. I
          am new to reef keeping and plan on keeping mainly fish and soft
          corals. Will be staying away from stonies seeing they seem to be a
          bit more difficult and my lighting seems to be insuffcient.

          Should I purchase a RO or RO/DI?

          How many gallons per day should shoot for?

          What stage unit single, two, three?

          Any reccomendations will be appreciated?

          I have gone to two somewhat local fish stores and one recommende RO
          and the other RO/DI.

          Thanks in advance
          Len

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor