Re: I Need Help With Red Slime!!!!!!!!!!

  • steelersfan_44720
    Message 1 of 1109 , Dec 1, 2000
      How old are your bulbs? When they age the
      spectrum shifts and certain types of algae become more
      prone to thrive. I had a problem with cyanobacteria
      (Red Slime), changed the oldest bulb and it went away.
      Also how much is your skimmer skimming from the
      tank...does it seem to be efficent?, is the waste from it a
      dark to medium greenish brown? Have you tested for
      DOC's (Dissolved Organic Compounds)..this will tell you
      how efficently your skimmer is, and can be a major
      cause in Red Algae. Phosphates can also increase the
      growth of this, and if you are using tap water instead
      of RO water this is usualy a major cause of high PO4
      readings....this can be corrected cheaply with a phosphate sponge
      and then adding RO water at water changes and
      top-offs. Since cyanobacteria is only half algae, and half
      bacteria, medications/cures such as vanish will help to
      depleat the population of it, it can also have a negative
      effect on your biological filter, and kill that bacteria
      too. Before I would start adding anything to the tank
      as a "quick cure" I would look into lighting as the
      #1 cause. If the bulbs are still good (less than 8-9
      months old), then I would test for DOC's and PO4, and if
      they are in check you have another option before
      adding medication. What you can do is take a bucket of
      tank water, place the effeced rocks/corals into it 1
      at a time and brush the slime off of them in the
      bucket(an old tooth brush works great for this), and return
      them to the tank clean, or you can take a turkey
      baster and simply suck the red slime off of them in the
      tank and dispose of it.<br>One additions
      thought....how much current do you have in the tank? In dead
      spots or slow areas cyanobacteria will start very
      quickly, and spread rapidly.<br><br>Hope this gives you
      some ideas,<br><br>Mat
    • bubblez502
      Message 1109 of 1109 , Sep 4, 2002
        deffanitly get the prizem skimmer. I have one and it works great. But
        one thing if you do decide to get it, when you put it on the second
        nosil, just put it on the tip. If you put it one all the way, the
        collection chamber will fill up with water in like 10 minuts. Hop i
        was helpful! Kelly