Anthias

  • blstravler
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      Anyone know what anthias favorite food is ?
    • Jason Dahling
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
        They're planktonivores, so anything small and meaty will do. You might need
        live foods to get them feeding initially. The key is that you should feed
        them in small doses multiple times per day rather than the traditional one
        big daily feeding. What species of anthias do you have? This will
        definitely have an impact on how much of a chance you have in adapting it
        to captive diets.

        Jason

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
          Jason-
          They are "queen" anthias. 1 domminant male 3 others (Female)I have
          a ton of different food I will try I always mix in live brine to lure
          them to eating traditional food. They eat the brine somewhat but not
          that much ?? DO you know who often or how much they usually eat per
          day?

          Thanks for your input greatly appreciate it.

          Keith

          --- In reeftank@y..., Jason Dahling <jdahling@v...> wrote:
          > They're planktonivores, so anything small and meaty will do. You
          might need
          > live foods to get them feeding initially. The key is that you
          should feed
          > them in small doses multiple times per day rather than the
          traditional one
          > big daily feeding. What species of anthias do you have? This will
          > definitely have an impact on how much of a chance you have in
          adapting it
          > to captive diets.
          >
          > Jason
          >

          > At 12:39 AM 11/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
          > > Anyone know what anthias favorite food is ?

          Service.
        • Jason Dahling
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
            Keith,
            Yikes, you've definitely got your work cut out for you. I personally have
            no experience with this species as they are reputed to be very, very
            difficult to keep alive in captivity. My experience is limited to hardier
            species (lyretail, huchtii, & bartlett's), but a few general tips:
            1) Queens need lots of space for the best chance at survival. What size
            tank do you have?
            2) Go exclusively with live foods for now. It's not at all uncommon for
            anthias to go on hunger strikes for the first several days, but queens in
            particular are considered difficult to get feeding. I would stick with
            gut-loaded brine shrimp and hope for the best. If they do start eating,
            keep them on a varied diet to minimize color loss.
            3) Let them rule the tank...no competition from other planktonivores or
            aggressive tankmates.

            As far as a feeding schedule, try to feed at least 3x per day (eg, once in
            the morning, once when you get home, once just before lights-out). Anthias
            have a pretty active metabolism, so don't skimp on the feedings, especially
            if you can actually get them to actively eat. A healthy, responsive anthias
            will jump on brine shrimp like a starving coyote on a pork chop, so don't
            hold back!

            FWIW, if I were you, I would plan on returning these fish if they aren't
            vigorously eating within 3-4 days. Queens are hit and miss under the best
            of circumstances, and you would have much better chances of success with a
            more reliable anthias species.

            HTH,
            Jason

            At 07:48 PM 11/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
            > Jason-
            > "" anthias. 1 domminant male 3 others (Female)I have
            > a ton of different food I will try I always mix in live brine to lure
            > them to eating traditional food. They eat the brine somewhat but not
            > that much ?? DO you know who often or how much they usually eat per
            > day?
            >
            > Thanks for your input greatly appreciate it.
            >

            > Keith
            >

            ><> wrote:
            >> They're planktonivores, so anything small and meaty will do. You
            > might need
            >> live foods to get them feeding initially. The key is that you
            > should feed
            >> them in small doses multiple times per day rather than the
            > traditional one
            >> big daily feeding. What species of anthias do you have? This will
            >> definitely have an impact on how much of a chance you have in
            > adapting it
            >> to captive diets.
            >>
            >> Jason
            >>

            >> At 12:39 AM 11/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >>> Anyone know what anthias favorite food is ?

            >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.

          • blstravler
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
              Ah the things I get myself into.

              I did see the fish eat in my LFS for 2 weeks, I was cautious before
              buying them. I have a 180 reef up and running for about 3 years,
              lot's of space in fact they have managed to take over the left 1/3 of
              the tank. Other fish leave them alone. I have several large Tang's
              but they pay no attention to each other. I always feed them live
              food, but here's the big problem, they swim around the take all 4
              togther but when I approach to feed they hide in the rock and they
              don't get any, sometimes they do but it is usually the dominant male
              and/or female that gets the food. I had 6 lyretail anthias in my old
              tank but I lost them in a power outage, sucked. I had them almot 2
              years, so I figured great fish why not try it again? All well but I
              think I can make this work I have see a color improvement since
              taking them from my LFS. Trying to get the fish out of my tank would
              be all but impossible. Thay have adapted a large SPS in the top of my
              tank which I know they usually do in nature so I am hopeful they are
              starting to settle in further.

              Thanks again for all the info,

              I'll keep you updated I'll try to post a picture, my tank pictures on
              the post are under my username, blstravler.

              Regards-

              Service.