Re: 20 Gal Mini Reef

  • rao1_99
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Does anyone have any good DIY plans for a wet/dry filter and sump. I
      agree she has too much stuff but it seems she is using my reef tank
      as her model. I am thinking that a wet/dry filter with a 10 gal sump
      should move at least the heaters and the protein skimmer out of her
      main tank. Of course convincing her that I need to spend 100 bucks
      for her is out of the question (unless it involves a jewerly store or
      something)but I think If I build it, she will use it.

      Ray
    • rao1_99
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2002
        My wife started a 20 gal mini reef but while I built my live rock and
        live sand base up little by little, she lacks the patience I had. She
        had about 5 pounds of live rock, argo/sand mix seeded with live sand
        from my tank and various decorations, one 160 GPH powerhead, one lee
        counter current skimmer, 20 Watt Flourscent strip, 300 Gph external
        power filter. She cycled the tank with a scat ( I had two acclimated
        to seawater that decided that they didn't like to be together
        anymore.) some bumblebee gobies, (mine had babies in a fish only
        tank, all salt water raised), and about 10 or so hermit crabs, a
        couple of astra snails and a 4 striped damsel from my tank. (I am
        slowly replacing the damsels with fish I want in my tanks). The
        chemistry was showing perfect for about 2 weeks. Then on Saturday,
        to my horror, she had purchased about 6 more pounds of live rock, 3
        more pounds with 3 anemones attached to it. One I have discovered is
        the Condaylitic (haitian pink tip) and the other two is a
        Ench****something or other and its offspring. Two percula clowns.
        And because I don't happen to like fake ornaments in my salt tanks (
        I worry about the paint leeching crap back into my water) she removed
        all the ornaments and just dumped the anemones and rock and fish into
        her tank. (she equalized temps then dumped...doesn't realize you
        can't do to salt like her freshwater tanks.) I have managed to feed
        the anemones, and I am of the opinion that someone at a new lfs sold
        her the anemones (with both pieces of rock about 20 bucks, dirt
        cheap) if she bought the clownfish, which I told her that it would be
        alright to buy a percula if she wanted to. I didn't know she would
        buy all this. Made her buy all kinds of reef supplement crap ( she
        doesn't realize i put all of this in what I call my saltwater sludge)
        and I am thinking I should go back to this new store. However she is
        wanting to try to keep these anemonies. The clowns have adopted one
        in short order, but the baby is hiding under a rock. The haitian (
        already made a meal of a goby) is proud and perched on the highest
        formation of the live rock.

        The other bad news part to all this, after checking chemistry last
        night, amonia went up as well as nitrites. Nitrates kinda stayed
        level but it looks as though all the live stock (my wife doesn't
        realize that live rock is livestock in my opinion due to die off and
        the organisms)was a bit too much and causing another cyclying of the
        tank. I prepared water for about a 30 percent water change tonite (
        I make my water the night before as a rule).

        Ray