Re: VHO LIGHTS

  • sethifur
    Message 1 of 67 , Feb 24, 2000
      First off, I think you are making a mistake in
      choosing VHO. VHO bulbs last 1/5 as long as standard 40
      watt 48" flourescents. On average, you should change
      your bulbs every two months. I think you should either
      consider standard flourescents, which last 9-10 mo. Or, go
      with metal halide, Initial cost is expensive but in
      the long run it is the least expensive. Whatever way
      you choose I recommend that you make your own
      enclosure, if you are mechanically inclined. <br> I have a
      55 gallon reef that has 4, 40 watt standard
      flourescent lamps, 1 10,000 kelvin coralife, 1 actinic
      coralife, 1 50/50 coralife, and 1 full spectrum vita lite
      (to fill in color, so there is not so much blue). I
      have very good luck with every type of coral that I
      put in there. I have a pink Gorgonia that came out of
      Florida waters that is propagating and covering an entire
      rock. Trumpet coral, Mushrooms, Button Polyps. I also
      have an assortment of hermit crabs and Macroalgaes,
      Invertibrates and only 2 fish. Quite a variety. I may not be
      giving you information that the books would agree with,
      but I can tell you that I have been working
      succesfully in reef aquariums for 8 years with little loss. I
      have also had experience with many different types of
      lighting. If you want the higher intensity lighting that
      the VHO provides I would suggest considering Metal
      Halide, as it is easily purchased at approximatly $50
      from wholesale catologs. You could make a housing and
      add Actinics to balance out the spectrum all for
      under $200. Keep in mind that Halide lighting is very
      hot and you will want to place it above aquarium
      Slightly to prevent overheating. Also build a fan and some
      air ports into the hood. Simply, you could also build
      a fixture that housed nothing but 5-6 flourescents.
      This would end up costing approximatly $100-120 in
      light bulbs alone. Balasts and other equipment probably
      $175, then, you need to replace your flourescents on a
      regular basis to ensure they are performing in the
      correct wavelengths. Overall I'm saying if you want the
      best lighting maybe consider some other options.<br>
      Well, I could go on and on about this but I will stop
      and I hope I have shed a little more light on the
      subject. Oh. And the biggest thing is to go slow, add
      specimens at long intervals. Thanks.
    • bettaboy37379
      Message 67 of 67 , Aug 26, 2001
        and havent you heard that the cure for cancer
        just might be in the coral or in the fish that live
        off the reef so if the reef goes their goes the cure
        for many problems. sorry i couldnt read any more with
        out saying my part bettboy37379