Re: [ReefCheck-list] Sibolga corals

  • habib
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2006
      dear ivan and reefcheckers,

      thank you to share your underwater experience at your fun dive activity at sibolga. it certainly will give us an additional perspective on indonesian coral reefs.

      at march 2005, erdi (former Indonesian Reef Check Network Assistant) already has sent an invitation to they who attend the Reef Check Indonesia Network National Meeting at Bali to involve Indonesian Reef Check Network mailing list. if you have not accept the invitation email last year, please kindly send email to [reefcheckind-subscribe@yahoogroups.com] to subscribe your email address and i will be more than happy to process your memberships.

      FYI Indonesian Reef Check Network currently managing and analysing data collected in Indonesia since 1997 until recent to build a national report. it will be a great contribution to indonesian coral reef management since its first launching at 1997, reef check methodology currently has been adopted at 59 locations, 15 provinces and involving 1157 volunteers and more than 100 institutions. at the same time, we'd like to build a website as a tools to increase awareness and promote the independency of local reef check coordinator. in this email i invite reef checkers and other institutions to involve and support our activity to promote awareness, conservation and management of Indonesian coral reefs. please do not hesitate to contact me for further details regarding this project

      regards,
      habib
      Indonesian Reef Check Network PIC on Data and Website

      p.s. in my opinion your second photograph is not a bleaching as an impact of the COT & temperature rising, im afraid it is an evidence of the white band disease.

      "Ivan Kuswandi K. Silaban" <ivan_silaban@...> wrote:
      Dear Greg and all,

      Hope all of you are well. Just had fun dive in Putri
      Island and Mursala Island, Sibolga. I took some
      snapshots of corals and got these threats:

      1. Bleaching in Putri Island
      2. Achantaster plancii in Putri Island
      3. Trash covering coral in Labuhan Kapal, Mursala
      Island. (I am sorry, the focus not so good)

      I am not sure the cause of the bleaching, may be it
      corespondence with the presence of Achantaster sp. The
      team was here while visiting Sibolga for Tsunami
      Damage Assesment, I have no idea if you already saw
      this, at the time. Just saw a little number of fish.

      In Labuhan Kapal, Mursala Island, there are 4 houses
      directly built on the seawater. And, 1 is building
      while we were there. Please, Consult the pics
      properties to see the date. The sources of the trash
      must be from the houses or the activities of fishermen
      that visiting this area. The fish were more abundant
      here than in Putri Island. This area plotted as
      COREMAP area, and may be the programs will be
      implemented in the coming months.

      I wonder if you have any ideas, what Reef Check can do
      in the area?

      By the way, I do not know the Reef Check Indonesian
      yahoogroups email address, would anybody please email
      me the address?

      Best Wishes,

      Ivan

      Ivan Kuswandi K. Silaban