FW: New Products from the Reefs at Risk team

  • Abdullah Habibi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2012
      Dari milis tetangga. Semoga bermanfaat.

      salam, Habib

      Dear Friends of Reefs at Risk,
      Greetings from Australia! The Reefs at Risk team is attending the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS) in Cairns this week, where we are releasing several new products:
      • Report: Reefs at Risk Revisited in the Coral Triangle. Building on Reefs at Risk Revisited,* and using more recent and detailed data for the Coral Triangle region, this report is a map-based analysis of threats to coral reefs that focuses on the six countries of the Coral Triangle—Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Solomon Islands, and Timor-Leste. The report provides detailed examination of present and projected pressures on coral reefs, social and economic vulnerability of countries to reef loss, and existing management efforts. We produced the report in close collaboration with the USAID-funded Coral Triangle Support Partnership (CTSP), a consortium of the World Wildlife Fund, The Nature Conservancy, and Conservation International that assists the six Coral Triangle governments in implementing their regional and national Coral Triangle Initiative plans of action.
      • Animated Film: Coral Reefs: Polyps in Peril. We teamed up with ocean advocate Céline Cousteau and cartoonist Jim Toomey (creator of Sherman's Lagoon) to create a 4-minute animated film that tells the story of coral reefs. Based on research from Reefs at Risk Revisited, the film highlights the importance and value of coral reefs, their unique biology, threats to these ecosystems, and what individuals can do to help save coral reefs. If you like the film, please share it widely!
      • Posters: We created a global Reefs at Risk Revisited poster with maps, as well as a poster that promotes the animated film Coral Reefs: Polyps in Peril.
      • Multimedia Page: We brought together all of the latest Reefs at Risk videos onto one page on our website.
      We wrote blogs about the new Coral Triangle report and the animated film, and the Coral Triangle report has already received good media coverage, including articles by Agence France-Presse, BBC News Asia, ABC News Australia, and ABS-CBN News (Philippines).
      At ICRS, Katie and Lauretta will be presenting the Reefs at Risk Revisited in the Coral Triangle report—look for us and the report in the Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI) booth. On Thursday, Lauretta will also present some of our coastal ecosystem valuation work at a talk called “Coastal Capital: taking stock of coral reef valuations in five Caribbean countries.”
      If you are in Cairns this week, please drop us a line (lauretta@... or kreytar@...).
      All the best,
      WRI’s Reefs at Risk team

      For more information, visit www.wri.org/reefs.
      If you do not wish to receive any future quarterly updates, please reply to this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

      * Reefs at Risk Revisited is an update of WRI’s 1998 global analysis of threats to coral reefs using new high-resolution data and improved modeling methods, and was released in February 2011.  This is the first Reefs at Risk study that evaluates climate-related threats and the social vulnerability of coastal communities to reef degradation.  WRI led the project in collaboration with more than 25 partner organizations.
      tel: +1 202-729-7600
      fax: +1 202-729-7610
      10 G Street NE, Suite 800
      Washington, DC 20002, USA