Art viewing in the wake (fwd)

  • Greg Lam
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2001
      Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:02:51
      From: Barney Gage <barneygage@...>
      Subject: Art viewing in the wake

      We have been encouraged to get out and look at art in the wake of the
      tragedy in Manhattan two weeks ago.  I have done so and want to encourage
      others to do so.  Hearing that the Museum of Fine Arts had free
      admission, I went to check it out.  My brief tour started with "A Studio
      of Her Own" about the development of female artists in the Boston area.
      From there a combination of laziness and whim took me through the Nubian
      gallery to see traditional Hindu art and Persian textiles.  I learned
      that Iranian artists could indeed depict the human body.  (I had assumed
      that they could not being Islamic.)  I also went out to Salem to the
      Peabody Maritime Museum two see two temporary exhibits there.  The Iziro
      photographs of sacred places exhibit certainly did give me a sense of
      durability.  The only photos of the West here are of neolithic sites in
      Brittany and Orkney.  But even the photos of plants eroding Angkor Wat or
      the view of Kailas ("navel of the world") were somehow reassuring.  The
      Forbidden City exhibit brought me face to face with other cultures'
      values: how many of us here play thigh bone flutes as Tibetan monks do?
      I came out much soberer about the place of American civilization (and its
      architecture) in the world, but also rejuvenated and more hopeful.  I
      want to encourage the experience.

      Unfortunately, the Forbidden City exhibit closes after this weekend, but
      the Iziro photographs will remain open for another month or two.
      Meanwhile, the Museum of Fine Arts will be free admission until Sunday 30
      September.

      Barney

      PS: Remember to get out and socialize this weekend.  Say no to tyrrany
      from either side!