Summer Events

  • Greg Lam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      This should be arriving in your mailboxes shortly, but here it is in
      advance. This summer's schedule.

      -Greg

      Reed on the Road
      Thursday, June 20 at 7 pm
      Tremont Hotel, 275 Tremont Street, Boston, MA
      Cost: $10 per person (includes light hors doeuvres)
      Register by calling the alumni office at (503) 777-7789
      Professor Edward B. Segel, Professor of History and Humanities
      Musical Prometheus: Beethoven as a Transition Figure
      between the Classical and the Romantic

      Cookout Picnic Potluck
      Hosted by Rebecca Ferris, 04
      Saturday, June 29 at 3 pm
      14 Chestnut Place, Jamaica Plain, MA
      Contact: (617) 522-2631
      Cost: Free
      Current student Rebecca Ferris hosts our first ever summer cookout in her
      acre large back yard in Jamaica Plain. She has a grill, so we can do
      barbecue. Bring barbecue things and picnic trimmings.

      From Green Street Station:
      From the station take a left up Green Street. Turn right on
      Chestnut Ave. Walk to the top of the hill, and turn left on Chestnut
      Place. There is a firebox at the bottom of the driveway and walking any
      further would be going down hill - it is a bit hidden, but it is there.
      The house is the lavender one on the left at the top of the driveway.

      From the 39 bus:
      Get off on Centre St. at the stop by the Mary Curley Middle
      School. Spring Park Ave is on the left. Walk to the end of Spring Park
      Ave and turn right on Chestnut Ave. Go up the hill and turn Right at the
      fire box- Chestnut Place. The house is the lavender one on the left at
      the top of the driveway.

      The Great Tanglewood Caper
      Hosted by Greg Lam 96
      Sunday, July 28 at 2:30 pm
      Lenox, MA
      Price per ticket: $14.50
      Weve purchased a block of 20 lawn tickets to a concert at Tanglewood, the
      summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. We will meet at 2:00 pm at
      the front gate on the grounds of Tanglewood before staking out a spot on
      the lawn to enjoy the All Mozart concert. Lodging and transportation is
      the responsibility of each attendee. Both the Boston and New England Reed
      alumni chapters are invited.

      People interested in going should contact Greg Lam at slam@...
      or (617) 497-2189. The tickets are offered on a first come, first served
      basis. If the original batch of lawn tickets are sold out, additional
      tickets may be purchased at the same price from the Tanglewood box office.

      In addition, Barrington Stage Co., a nearby theatre company, is producing
      Black Sheep by Reed playwright Lee Blessing. If there is interest, we can
      arrange for a group to see it at on Saturday, July 27. See
      www.barringtonstageco.org for info.
      For information about Tanglewood, see www.bso.org
      For information about lodging, see www.berkshires.org

      Charles River Canoe/Kayak Day Trip
      Hosted by Greg Lam 96
      Saturday, July 13 at 5:00 PM
      Soldiers Field Road, Brighton, MA
      Cost: From $11-$16 per boat per hour.
      Contact: slam@... or (617) 497-2189
      The Charles River canoe company offers canoe and kayak rentals on the
      Charles. Last year we had a wonderful impromptu outing.
      For more information, see http://www.ski-paddle.com/

      On Foot From Harvard Square: Cross the river on JFK St. and turn right on
      Soldier's Field Rd. Follow sidewalk along river for 1 mile. The
      Green-Roofed Kiosk is located 200 yards past the Eliot Bridge.

      By MBTA: Take the Red line to Harvard. Take #86 (Sullivan Sq.-Cleveland
      Circle) to Smith Playground. Walk across playground toward Harvard Stadium
      and out onto Soldier's Field Rd. The Green-Roofed Kiosk is across the
      street, 100 yds. to your right.

      By Car - From Boston: Take Storrow Drive West and bear left onto Soldier's
      Field Rd before crossing the Eliot Bridge. Park at the first or second
      parking lot on the right. Look for the Green-Roofed Kiosk. Free parking is
      available.

      Red Sox vs. As
      Hosted by Alan Park, 98
      Wednesday, August 7 at 7pm
      Fenway Park, Boston,MA
      Price per ticket: $20
      Contact: alanpark10@... or (617) 547-5795
      Weve purchased a block of 20 bleacher tickets for a late season matchup at
      Fenway. The tickets will be offered at a first come, first served basis.
      To reserve your ticket, contact Alan Park.

      Email List Events
      This summer, we will likely be putting together these events, among
      others, on our email mailing list this summer.

      Guided Trip to the Museum of Fine Arts
      Hosted by Rebecca Ferris

      Overnight Hiking Trip
      Hosted by Barney Gage

      Restaurant Outings
      Hosted by Greg Lam and Miriam Moore

      If you are interested in these, please email
      Greg Lam at slam@... to join the email list

      As resources allow, the Office of Alumni Relations publishes and mails
      newsletters for its organized chapters, primarily as a means of
      communicating about regional alumni events. Other appropriate materials
      may be included as space is available.

      --
      Greg's .sigku:

      Mail From Greg Lam