Find & Replace

  • S. M. Kelly
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
      Greetings, I have a large amount of texts that need to have verse numbers reformatted. I'm working with UTF files that have references like this "01:13" for chapter 1 verse 13. I want to strip off the "##:" part. and leave only the last two digits. (actually it would be nice to remove any preceding 0's as well)

      I haven't figured out how to create the search and replace expression to do such a beast. Anybody care to help??

      On another note, I'm looking for the ability to take a CCAT Greek (ASCII) text file and reformat it to UTF. Anybody know how? (you can email me off-list for this part, please)

      Thanks!

      S. M. Kelly  <SMKSensei@...>
      ===================================
       "The selling of bad beer is a crime against Christian love."
      13th Century  Law, City of Augsburg, Germany.

    • Paul M
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
        Not hard at all, thanks to the Redlers' good work:

        1: Insert a Digit symbol in the "Find" part of the Find window, from
        the "Insert Element" menu. Double-click on it and in the dialog that
        opens choose "Once or More" or "Exactly 2" repetitions, or whatever
        suits your needs.

        2: Follow it with ":0" (just type it in).

        3: Select the zero only, and click the Grouping button immediately
        below the Find field. Double-click the grouping parentheses that now
        surround the zero. In the dialog that appears choose "Zero or More"
        repetitions and make sure that "Greedy" is checked. This will find
        any number of leading zeros (if there are any).

        4: Insert another Digit symbol. Double-click it and set the required
        number of repetitions. Close the dialog, select just the last digit
        symbol and click the Grouping button. Double-click the resulting
        parentheses and make sure the "Capturing" check box is marked. Close
        the dialog.

        5: Select the last Grouping parentheses and the Digit symbol between
        them. Drag the group down to the Replace field below, where they
        should show up as a box with a back-arrow and a number (either 1 or
        2) in it.

        That's it. The operation will now strip the chapter numbers, the
        colon and any leading zeros, leaving only the verse numbers. If it's
        something you have to do on multiple documents you can save it for
        reuse with the "Save Find Action..." button.

        Hope that helps. The Mellel Guide (from the Redlex website) has a
        section on Find and Replace that's well worth reading through.
        Regular Expression searches are very un-Mac-like and can be
        complicated to explain even at their simplest, but Mellel now has a
        really approachable implementation of them.

        Paul M.

        On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:51 PM, S. M. Kelly wrote:

        > Greetings, I have a large amount of texts that need to have verse
        > numbers reformatted. I'm working with UTF files that have
        > references like this "01:13" for chapter 1 verse 13. I want to
        > strip off the "##:" part. and leave only the last two digits.
        > (actually it would be nice to remove any preceding 0's as well)
        >
        > I haven't figured out how to create the search and replace
        > expression to do such a beast. Anybody care to help??

      • Sean M. Kelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
          On Tue, October 3, 2006 12:09 am, Paul M wrote:
          > Not hard at all, thanks to the Redlers' good work:

          Paul, thanks so much. I've not had an opportunity to try this yet, but
          thank you for your ready reply!

          Sean M. Kelly
          =========================
          SMKSensei@...
          "Irish Without The Brogue"
        • S. M. Kelly
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            Paul,
            This worked like a charm, saving my hours of work. The grouping feature is
            incredible! I've already put it to much more use!

            Kudos again Redlers! Mellel continues to excel beyond its peers!

            --

            S. M. Kelly
            ----------------------------

            On Tue, October 3, 2006 12:09 am, Paul M wrote:
            > Not hard at all, thanks to the Redlers' good work:
            >
            > 1: Insert a Digit symbol in the "Find" part of the Find window, from
            > the "Insert Element" menu. Double-click on it and in the dialog that
            > opens choose "Once or More" or "Exactly 2" repetitions, or whatever
            > suits your needs.
            >
            > 2: Follow it with ":0" (just type it in).
            >
            > 3: Select the zero only, and click the Grouping button immediately
            > below the Find field. Double-click the grouping parentheses that now
            > surround the zero. In the dialog that appears choose "Zero or More"
            > repetitions and make sure that "Greedy" is checked. This will find
            > any number of leading zeros (if there are any).
            >
            > 4: Insert another Digit symbol. Double-click it and set the required
            > number of repetitions. Close the dialog, select just the last digit
            > symbol and click the Grouping button. Double-click the resulting
            > parentheses and make sure the "Capturing" check box is marked. Close
            > the dialog.
            >
            > 5: Select the last Grouping parentheses and the Digit symbol between
            > them. Drag the group down to the Replace field below, where they
            > should show up as a box with a back-arrow and a number (either 1 or
            > 2) in it.
            >
            > That's it. The operation will now strip the chapter numbers, the
            > colon and any leading zeros, leaving only the verse numbers. If it's
            > something you have to do on multiple documents you can save it for
            > reuse with the "Save Find Action..." button.
            >
            > Hope that helps. The Mellel Guide (from the Redlex website) has a
            > section on Find and Replace that's well worth reading through.
            > Regular Expression searches are very un-Mac-like and can be
            > complicated to explain even at their simplest, but Mellel now has a
            > really approachable implementation of them.
            >
            > Paul M.
            >
            > On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:51 PM, S. M. Kelly wrote:
            >
            >> Greetings, I have a large amount of texts that need to have verse
            >> numbers reformatted. I'm working with UTF files that have
            >> references like this "01:13" for chapter 1 verse 13. I want to
            >> strip off the "##:" part. and leave only the last two digits.
            >> (actually it would be nice to remove any preceding 0's as well)
            >>
            >> I haven't figured out how to create the search and replace
            >> expression to do such a beast. Anybody care to help??
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rutie Adler
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
              Hi

              How do you save Mellel files without zipping them; whenever i save the
              saved files are not zipped and some of my students get only zipped
              files when they save.

              thanks
              rutie
            • Martin Stadtmüller
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
                Mellel never zips a file while saving and you couldn’t set it to do
                so. If your students get zipped files, they either zip them
                themselves or the files will be automatically zipped if they send
                them by mail. In both cases, Mellel isn’t the reason for the files
                being zipped.

                Even if they are zipped (which isn’t a bad thing, usually) you should
                be able to expand (unzip) them if you double click the zipped file.

                Best regards,

                Martin