Fwd: telling mellel not no mess with font face?

  • kurwi05@mac.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2006
      Is there a way to tell Mellel not to change the font face when
      changing characters?

      I use two different character sets, one for "crude thinking" and one
      for "the real text". But both contain a mix of regular, bold and
      italics. I'd like to switch between them without resetting everything
      to "normal".

      Does anybody understand what I mean, and in that case: how do I do it?

      Kurt

      Kurt Wicke
      Univerity West
      Department of Social and Behavioural studies
      SE-461 86 Trollhättan

      E-mail: kurt.wicke@...
      Phone: 0520 - 22 38 15

      Sweden
    • Behnam Rassi
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2006
        I don't have a good solution but I think I know what you mean.
        The problem is that when you change the font of a text to something else, the new font should also contain bold and italic faces that you assigned to your text otherwise they are lost for good.
        Just make sure your font has those faces you used, before changing to it.
        Behnam

        On 3-Jun-06, at 6:05 AM, kurwi05@... wrote:

        Is there a way to tell Mellel not to change the font face when
        changing characters?

        I use two different character sets, one for "crude thinking" and one
        for "the real text". But both contain a mix of regular, bold and
        italics. I'd like to switch between them without resetting everything
        to "normal".

        Does anybody understand what I mean, and in that case: how do I do it?

        Kurt

        Kurt Wicke
        Univerity West
        Department of Social and Behavioural studies
        SE-461 86 Trollhättan

        E-mail: kurt.wicke@...
        Phone: 0520 - 22 38 15

        Sweden

        Desktop publishing Desktop publishing training Word processing
        Desktop publishing programs Word processing services Desktop publishing computer

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • kurwi05@mac.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2006
          Ah, I knew I should have explained it better. It's not just the fonts
          - their are plain standard fonts, like Gill sans and Times - i'ts my
          stile sets. I can't find a way 'round the problem that each stile set
          has to be in either regular, bold, italics. So when I change
          something containing a few words in italics from one stile set to
          another, all my italics are replaced by the standard font face
          "regular".

          As far as I understand I have to manually change one parameter at
          after another - Gills Sans to Times New Roman, blue to black, and 10
          to 12, to preserve my precious italics. Ok, I can do that, but I was
          kinda hoping for a way to change all of them in one swift move ...

          Kurt

          3 jun 2006 kl. 16.22 skrev Behnam Rassi:

          > I don't have a good solution but I think I know what you mean.
          > The problem is that when you change the font of a text to something
          > else, the new font should also contain bold and italic faces that
          > you assigned to your text otherwise they are lost for good.
          > Just make sure your font has those faces you used, before changing
          > to it.
          > Behnam
          >
          > On 3-Jun-06, at 6:05 AM, kurwi05@... wrote:
          >

          >> Is there a way to tell Mellel not to change the font face when
          >> changing characters?
          >>
          >> I use two different character sets, one for "crude thinking" and one
          >> for "the real text". But both contain a mix of regular, bold and
          >> italics. I'd like to switch between them without resetting everything
          >> to "normal".
          >>
          >> Does anybody understand what I mean, and in that case: how do I do
          >> it?
          >>
          >> Kurt

        • Igor Kramberger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2006
            Hi to all:

            Kurt wrote:
            > Is there a way to tell Mellel not to change the font face when
            > changing characters?
            >
            > [...]

            > Does anybody understand what I mean, and in that case: how do I do it?
            Yes!

            But, in case of Mellel this is not a bug, it's a feature.

            You should write with style -- and do not expect that Mellel works
            similar to most other word processor you used in the past.

            Define *two* style sets -- with the same number of styles, each in
            both sets with the same name, but different attributes. Define also
            style variations for italics, bold, underline etc as substyles of
            defined character styles.

            You must do this just once -- and you should also change after this
            is completed just a bit your habits during the writing. This should
            not be a huge problem for you.
            > Univerity West
            > Department of Social and Behavioural studies

            Enjoy the power of the Mellel's defined styles (it is not just the
            Hebrew meaning of the name, which is the same with some other WP).

            Kind regards,

            --
            Igor
            -----

            Gregor'ci'ceva 23, SI-2000 Maribor
            pri Tom'si'c, Ulica Toma Brejca 11 a, SI-1241 Kamnik

            Slovenija, Evropa
          • Maria Shinoto
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2006
              Igor,

              Am 04.06.2006 um 03:59 schrieb Igor Kramberger:

              > you should also change after this
              > is completed just a bit your habits during the writing. This should
              > not be a huge problem for you.
              > > Univerity West
              > > Department of Social and Behavioural studies

              Great kind of humour,

              M, thanks, made my day :-)
            • Erithacus rubecula
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 12, 2006
                Hi Kurt,
                On 4/06/2006, at 4:24 AM, kurwi05@... wrote:

                > Ah, I knew I should have explained it better. It's not just the fonts
                > - their are plain standard fonts, like Gill sans and Times - i'ts my
                > stile sets. I can't find a way 'round the problem that each stile set
                > has to be in either regular, bold, italics. So when I change
                > something containing a few words in italics from one stile set to
                > another, all my italics are replaced by the standard font face
                > "regular".
                >
                > As far as I understand I have to manually change one parameter at
                > after another - Gills Sans to Times New Roman, blue to black, and 10
                > to 12, to preserve my precious italics. Ok, I can do that, but I was
                > kinda hoping for a way to change all of them in one swift move ...

                I think I know what your problem is. Namely I am assuming that you've
                set the font face according to 'style variations', rather than simply
                a font face that you see in the palettes. The style variation has to
                be set for each style set. I have to admit that this comes across as
                a bit clunky when for the most part I want to set the style
                variations to be the same.

                This is what some o the gefuffle is on the list, that is not
                understanding the difference between a font face (cmd - b for bold)
                vs. pressing a function key (I've set mine to be F2) to give me a
                style variation such as 'bold'. I find like you that if I change the
                overall style set and the new style set has not had it's style
                variations set up to reflect the same variations then either they
                'revert' to being a standard face, or they change to whatever they
                were set up in the style set. I find that if I reconfigure the style
                variations to be the same as they were in the new style set as it was
                from the original one that I was using, the 'style variations'
                returns, ie my 'F2' label is preserved in the change, so that when I
                ask Mellel to make all my F2 marked text now become 'bold' in the new
                style set, then all the variations come back - as if by magic.

                If this is all kind of confusing, then either I'm not explaining this
                correctly (more than possible), or I've misunderstood you (more than
                possible), or you're not using style variations (I think many Mellel
                users don't). If the latter's the case, then go to the Mellel's
                manual or go to Don Broadribb's tutorial which I think also covers
                this (err sorry Don I didn't look this up specifically but can't
                imagine that you would not have covered this).

                As bizzare as this sounds, your request is actually why Mellel uses
                style variations, so that you won't lose your individual word styling
                variations. It's very clever and it's very confusing - until you use it.

                Did someone say ... 'but wait this would be a perfect opportunity to
                use non-contiguous selection?' ;-)

                best

                Robin
              • kurwi05@mac.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2006
                  13 jun 2006 kl. 08.00 skrev Erithacus rubecula:

                  > Hi Kurt,
                  > On 4/06/2006, at 4:24 AM, kurwi05@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ah, I knew I should have explained it better. It's not just the
                  > fonts
                  > > - their are plain standard fonts, like Gill sans and Times - i'ts my
                  > > stile sets. I can't find a way 'round the problem that each stile
                  > set
                  > > has to be in either regular, bold, italics. So when I change
                  > > something containing a few words in italics from one stile set to
                  > > another, all my italics are replaced by the standard font face
                  > > "regular".
                  > >

                  > I think I know what your problem is. Namely I am assuming that you've
                  > set the font face according to 'style variations', rather than simply
                  > a font face that you see in the palettes. The style variation has to
                  > be set for each style set. I have to admit that this comes across as
                  > a bit clunky when for the most part I want to set the style
                  > variations to be the same.
                  >
                  > This is what some o the gefuffle is on the list, that is not
                  > understanding the difference between a font face (cmd - b for bold)
                  > vs. pressing a function key (I've set mine to be F2) to give me a
                  > style variation such as 'bold'.

                  been there, done that: defined style variations so that all contain
                  F3 = italics, changed my habits from cmd+i to F3, and now I can
                  toggle between paragraph stiles as much as I like.

                  It works!

                  Thanks alot!

                  Kurt
                • Manfred Kropp
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
                    Hi all Mettamlalin,
                    when exporting a short article with some footnotes from the
                    mellel.format to .doc there is no valid word document produced.
                    Neither Word nor NWE can read it. And, even more seerious, when I try
                    to re-import it in Mellel, Mellel crashes.
                    Any ideas about it?
                    Manfred
                  • Sorin Paliga
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
                      Export as rtf, which preserves footnotes and tables (if the case).
                      This is a long-known issue of doc. export.

                      --
                      Sorin Paliga, Ph.D.
                      Univ. din București / Univ. of Bucharest
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
                        I don't have any idea, but what I do is exporting Mellel into RTF,
                        and then open it with Word.
                        Generally (all the time for me) it works.
                        Raymond
                        On 16/06/2006, at 10:30, Manfred Kropp wrote:

                        > Hi all Mettamlalin,
                        > when exporting a short article with some footnotes from the
                        > mellel.format to .doc there is no valid word document produced.
                        > Neither Word nor NWE can read it. And, even more seerious, when I try
                        > to re-import it in Mellel, Mellel crashes.
                        > Any ideas about it?
                        > Manfred

                        > ~-->
                        > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email
                        > design.
                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/MqWylB/TM

                      • Nicholas Allott
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 18, 2006
                          > This is because Word-Mac is not capable of working with Unicode other
                          > than Word-Windows or Mellel.

                          Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure what you meant, but if you
                          were saying that Mac Word does not support Unicode at all, that's not
                          correct. Unicode support was added a few years ago with the latest
                          release, Word 2004
                          (See, for example, <http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/
                          utilities_editors_macosx.html#word2004>)

                          My point was that Mac Word's Unicode support is rather unreliable
                          (surprise surprise!). These days, if I get a Word file from a PC user
                          with logical symbols in it I usually find that Mellel renders all of
                          the symbols correctly whereas Mac Word substitutes generic characters
                          for a few of them.

                          The more general point that I was implying is that there's no perfect
                          way of seeing a Word file the way the creator intended it (except
                          sitting next to them and looking at it on their PC's screen). Word
                          Mac is usually close but not perfect; OpenOffice generally does a
                          good job; but for some purposes, Mellel import via rtf is at least as
                          good or better.
                        • Martin Stadtmüller
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 18, 2006
                            Sorry for my wrong post, you’re right. The fact, ›that Word for
                            Windows was unicode enabled in 1997 and Word for Mac got unicode
                            support with the 2004 version‹ and therefore the thought that Word
                            Mac still hasn’t proper unicode support still glued in my mind. Even
                            with unicode support some problems are still there in Word 2004.
                            (see: http://jardar.nvg.org/mac/word2004.html for example).

                            To revise my old post: Office:Mac 2004 has unicode support (but there
                            may still be small problems with that)

                            Best regards

                            Mart°n