editing references to other notes in notes

  • Lionel Lovitch
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2006
      Can someone please advise me?

      I am writing a lengthy document with Mellel
      in which I have quite a number of footnotes.
      My problem is of the following type:

      In footnote number 34 (for example, at the moment that is its number!)
      I want to say among other things "see note number 27".
      However in successive editing of the document
      if I insert other footnotes or eliminate some footnotes
      the numbers of the footnotes will change automatically.
      At the same time, I would like the number 27 in "see note number 27"
      to adjust automatically.

      So, how do I do that?

      Thanks in anticipation
      lionel lovitch
    • Erithacus rubecula
      Message 2 of 19 , May 7, 2006
        Hello,
        On 07/05/2006, at 9:02 PM, Lionel Lovitch wrote:

        For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've got
        an auto-title 'Table' style atttached to it. But I can't seem to
        change the attributes of the style. Everything that I change on
        either the 'Style set' menu or the 'character' style makes no
        difference to the styling of the set. The only thing that I can see
        that's wrong with the character style is that Mellel tells me that
        there's a font missing (Ariel Hebrew) in my secondary font setting. I
        can't remember setting it to that (is it a default?) and I can't
        change this either. Not sure if this is making my problem.

        Any ideas greatly appreciated.

        Best

        Robin
      • Erithacus rubecula
        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2006
          Hi,
          Sorry I sent' before I looked and changed the subject header.

          On 07/05/2006, at 9:46 PM, Erithacus rubecula wrote:

          > Hello,
          > On 07/05/2006, at 9:02 PM, Lionel Lovitch wrote:
          >
          > For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've got
          > an auto-title 'Table' style atttached to it. But I can't seem to
          > change the attributes of the style. Everything that I change on
          > either the 'Style set' menu or the 'character' style makes no
          > difference to the styling of the set. The only thing that I can see
          > that's wrong with the character style is that Mellel tells me that
          > there's a font missing (Ariel Hebrew) in my secondary font setting. I
          > can't remember setting it to that (is it a default?) and I can't
          > change this either. Not sure if this is making my problem.
          >
          > Any ideas greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Robin
        • Max Haas
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2006
            You need a text processing program with cross reference capabilities.
            This you can't find in Mellel but (e.g.) in Word. Make a cross
            reference to a footnote and the footnote number will be updated when
            you insert other footnotes in between.
            Max

            Am 07.05.2006 um 11:02 schrieb Lionel Lovitch:

            > Can someone please advise me?
            >
            > I am writing a lengthy document with Mellel
            > in which I have quite a number of footnotes.
            > My problem is of the following type:
            >
            > In footnote number 34 (for example, at the moment that is its number!)
            > I want to say among other things "see note number 27".
            > However in successive editing of the document
            > if I insert other footnotes or eliminate some footnotes
            > the numbers of the footnotes will change automatically.
            > At the same time, I would like the number 27 in "see note number 27"
            > to adjust automatically.
            >
            > So, how do I do that?

          • Lionel Lovitch
            Message 5 of 19 , May 9, 2006
              Thanks a lot Max for your answer to my query.
              Question: Is cross referncing slated for inclusion in Mellel in the near future?
              I had actually thought that a word processor was a text processing program !
              But I don't want to go back to Word
              so for a rather long paper with cross referencing
              the alternative to Mellel for me is clearly LaTeX.
              lionel

              Max Haas wrote:
[...]

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/MqWylB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Joel Shurkin
              Message 6 of 19 , May 9, 2006
                Re: [redlex] editing references to other notes in notes Also indexing. Surprised it’s not in there.

                --
                Joel N. Shurkin
                Baltimore, Maryland
                Message 7 of 19 , May 15, 2006
                  Hi,

                  On 9 May 2006, at 10:34, Lionel Lovitch wrote:

                  Thanks a lot Max for your answer to my query.
                  Question: Is cross referncing slated for inclusion in Mellel in the near future?

                  Yes....

                  Max Haas wrote:
[...]

                  Desktop publishing Desktop publishing training Word processing
                  Desktop publishing programs Word processing services Desktop publishing computer

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • RedleX Mail
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 15, 2006
                    On 9 May 2006, at 15:45, Joel Shurkin wrote:

                    Also indexing. Surprised it’s not in there.

                    Yes to that too...

                    Ori

                  • Igor Kramberger
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 16, 2006
                      Hi to all,

                      Ori wrote:
                      > Yes to that too...
                      Again ceterum censeo: first, please, very improved find / replace function.

                      Please, *not* innovative and unique, but as it was common sense for
                      the users of some other old, but still used and loved word processor.

                      Mellel means word; but nisus means endeavour.

                      Just one example:
                      it should be possible to find / insert / replace *any* object (as
                      objects are defined by the application, for instance: numbering
                      variables; style attribute 'index', etc.).

                      For the preparation and creation of good, different indici such a
                      function is indispensable.

                      Thanks for listening.

                      Respectfully,

                      --
                      Igor
                      -----

                      Gregor'ci'ceva 23, SI-2000 Maribor
                      pri Tom'si'c, Ulica Toma Brejca 11 a, SI-1241 Kamnik

                      Slovenija, Evropa
                    • Rutie Adler
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Does Mellel have a spellcheck? if yes, how do you activate it?

                        Thanks

                        Rutie
                      • Ed Hanley
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                          Rutie,
                          I see it under "Edit." Look there - it's simple.
                          Ed

                          On May 19, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Rutie Adler wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Does Mellel have a spellcheck? if yes, how do you activate it?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Rutie

                          > ~-->
                          > Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email
                          > arrives
                          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/MqWylB/TM

                        • Charly Avital
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                            From Mellel's Guide:
                            ----------------------------
                            Spelling and Thesaurus
                            Mellel offers you the option to check the spelling in your document
                            using the spell checker built into Mac OS X, third party spelling
                            services (like CocoASpell) and third party spell checkers. Mellel also
                            work with a variety of third party free, shareware and commercial thesauri.
                            Check spelling
                            The simplest way to check the spelling in your document is to open the
                            Spelling dialogue box and go through the document to view all the
                            suspect spelling errors and correct them (or tell Mellel to learn new
                            words, so they would not be marked as errors the next time you check
                            spelling). To check spelling in a document:
                            • Choose Edit > Spelling > Spelling... The Spelling floating palette
                            will open:
                            Figure 29: The Spelling palette
                            The Spelling palette offers several options to scan the document for
                            spelling errors and fix them:

                            I suggest (recommend) cocoAspell <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/>,
                            version 2.0.4 now for PPC and Intel. Donation-ware.

                            By default the cocoAspell package comes only with the English dictionary
                            that contains American, British, and Canadian variations. The Aspell
                            Dictionaries FTP site contains dictionaries for 74 languages, including
                            Hebrew.

                            Regards,
                            Charly