[OT] reversed lines chm

  • Michel Eytan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      Folks,

      sorry to bother you all with a pb only remotely related to Mellel.

      I have bought and dl-ed the Parallel Hebrew Old Testament (it costs $5 and is
      well worth it cf http://www.htmlbible.com/downloadhtml/hebrewparallel.htm ).
      Although advertised as a Windoze "HTML Help" file to be used with Explorer,
      it's in fact a .chm file and perfectly readable with xchm on my box. However
      the Hebrew text has its lines *reversed* (it's L-to-R). Any ideas for getting
      it straight? I cannot copy text and insert it into Mellel because the files
      are *not* plain HTML -- "Due to Software Piracy, this copyrighted software is
      no longer available in plain HTML." as the site says. Thanks for any help.

      My setup: G4/450 AGP, OSX Panther9, 896MB RAM,
      Shiira1.2/Camino1.0b1/Firefox1.5

      --
      Michel Eytan
      eytan@umb.u-strasbg.fr
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hi Michael,

        as I don’t have your Old Testament, I couldn’t definitely test any of
        my tips, but here are some:

        You could test CHMox instead of xchm (it’s also free and has a nicer
        interface: http://chmox.sourceforge.net/

        Some months ago, there was a discussion on this list, regarding web-
        pages that also were displayed in reversed hebrew on some browsers
        (other than Windows Internet Explorer) and there were two solutions.
        As CHM files are bundled HTML files, the same problem could be true
        for your Testament. One solution was to change the encoding of the
        browser. As I have seen, this is not possible with either xchm nor
        CHMox. The second solution was, to copy the text and let it reverse
        by some online web pages. I have copied this from one of this old
        mails (from Danny Rosin):

        Am 30.10.2005 um 00:19 schrieb Danny Rosin:

        This happens since some of the sites use "logic" Hebrew while others
        use "visual"- I think the latter functions with inverted text at its
        core.
        You can use hebrew-reversal sites, such as
        http://www.guides.co.il/hebrew.php
        or
        http://www.corky.net/hebflip.html
        or
        http://bananot.com/hebflip.html
        by simple copy-paste.

        As you could copy text from within CHMox and xchm, you could paste it
        into one of the pages above and should get a usable result.

        A third solution could be a cheap windows machine or windows
        installed via Virtual PC on your Mac (neither cheap nor fast, but it
        works)

        Best regards,

        Martin Stadtmüller

        P.S.: Thanks for the hint, that an OS X chm viewer exists. I needed
        one some time ago, but couldn’t find (or haven’t searched) one. Now
        I’ve found two.

        Am 02.02.2006 um 12:38 schrieb Michel Eytan:

        > Folks,
        >
        > sorry to bother you all with a pb only remotely related to Mellel.
        >
        > I have bought and dl-ed the Parallel Hebrew Old Testament (it costs
        > $5 and is
        > well worth it cf http://www.htmlbible.com/downloadhtml/
        > hebrewparallel.htm ).
        > Although advertised as a Windoze "HTML Help" file to be used with
        > Explorer,
        > it's in fact a .chm file and perfectly readable with xchm on my
        > box. However
        > the Hebrew text has its lines *reversed* (it's L-to-R). Any ideas
        > for getting
        > it straight? I cannot copy text and insert it into Mellel because
        > the files
        > are *not* plain HTML -- "Due to Software Piracy, this copyrighted
        > software is
        > no longer available in plain HTML." as the site says. Thanks for
        > any help.
        >
        > My setup: G4/450 AGP, OSX Panther9, 896MB RAM,
        > Shiira1.2/Camino1.0b1/Firefox1.5
        >
        > --
        > Michel Eytan
        > eytan@umb.u-strasbg.fr
        > I say what I mean and mean
        > what I say

      • raymond
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          Shalom Michel,

          I don't know the answer to your question, but there exists a free
          version of the Tanach made available by Machon Mamre here:
          http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0.htm

          HTH

          Raymond
          On 02/02/2006, at 13:38, Michel Eytan wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > sorry to bother you all with a pb only remotely related to Mellel.
          >
          > I have bought and dl-ed the Parallel Hebrew Old Testament (it costs
          > $5 and is
          > well worth it cf http://www.htmlbible.com/downloadhtml/
          > hebrewparallel.htm ).
          > Although advertised as a Windoze "HTML Help" file to be used with
          > Explorer,
          > it's in fact a .chm file and perfectly readable with xchm on my
          > box. However
          > the Hebrew text has its lines *reversed* (it's L-to-R). Any ideas
          > for getting
          > it straight? I cannot copy text and insert it into Mellel because
          > the files
          > are *not* plain HTML -- "Due to Software Piracy, this copyrighted
          > software is
          > no longer available in plain HTML." as the site says. Thanks for
          > any help.
          >
          > My setup: G4/450 AGP, OSX Panther9, 896MB RAM,
          > Shiira1.2/Camino1.0b1/Firefox1.5
          >
          > --
          > Michel Eytan
          > eytan@umb.u-strasbg.fr
          > I say what I mean and mean
          > what I say

        • Janet Nussbaum
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            Michel,

            Raymond only gave you the link to one of Machon Mamre's pages [TANACH
            + NIKUD].
            Actually their offering is much broader.

            http://www.mechon-mamre.org/

            I rely heavily on TANCAH + NIKUD + TAAMIM (I've downloaded it to my
            disk)

            http://www.mechon-mamre.org/c/ct/c0.htm

            Also available, but less useful for me are

            http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/tan/index.htm
            http://jewish.com/modules.php?
            name=Content&pa=list_pages_categories&cid=3 [1985 JPS translation]

            Janet S.S. Nussbaum
            Kiriat Ono, Israel

            ג'נט נוסבאום
            קרית אונו

            On 2 Feb, 2006, at 2:32 PM, raymond wrote:

            > Shalom Michel,
            >
            > I don't know the answer to your question, but there exists a free
            > version of the Tanach made available by Machon Mamre here:
            > http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0.htm
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > Raymond
          • Dr. Dania Shapira
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              You can try (if you have this feature) Text Encoding, and change that
              (when you have the text upfront) to Hebrew (Windows). Unfortunately, I
              cannot do that with the Microsoft Word program on my Mac 5. Good luck!

              Dania Dhapira

              On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:38 AM, Michel Eytan wrote:

              > Folks,
              >
              > sorry to bother you all with a pb only remotely related to Mellel.
              >
              > I have bought and dl-ed the Parallel Hebrew Old Testament (it costs
              > $5 and is
              > well worth it cf
              > http://www.htmlbible.com/downloadhtml/hebrewparallel.htm ).
              > Although advertised as a Windoze "HTML Help" file to be used with
              > Explorer,
              > it's in fact a .chm file and perfectly readable with xchm on my box.
              > However
              > the Hebrew text has its lines *reversed* (it's L-to-R). Any ideas for
              > getting
              > it straight? I cannot copy text and insert it into Mellel because the
              > files
              > are *not* plain HTML -- "Due to Software Piracy, this copyrighted
              > software is
              > no longer available in plain HTML." as the site says. Thanks for any
              > help.
              >
              > My setup:    G4/450 AGP, OSX Panther9, 896MB RAM,
              > Shiira1.2/Camino1.0b1/Firefox1.5
              >
              > --
              > Michel Eytan
              > eytan@umb.u-strasbg.fr
              >                                       I say what I mean and mean what
              > I say

              > Desktop publishing
              > Desktop publishing training
              > Word processing
              >
              > Desktop publishing programs
              > Word processing services
              > Desktop publishing computer
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > ▪  Visit your group "redlex" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Michel Eytan
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                My grateful thanks to all the kind people who have given me URLs or softs
                for the Hebrew Bible. However the Parallel does *much more* than all these:

                It gives *IN PARALLEL* and for each sentence: Modern Hebrew (Ashuri), Paleo
                Hebrew (before 585 BCE), Hebrew Transliterated, Latin Vulgate, King James
                Version, American Standard, Bible in Basic English, Darby's English
                Translation, Douay Rheims Bible, Noah Webster Bible, World English Bible,
                Young's Literal Translation. I *said* it was worth the $5 I paid for it.
                On-line it's obviously free.

                Of course the standard Hebrew HTML Bible, available on the same site is
                *free* on- or off-line and the lines read OK on recent browsers.

                Finally Chmox solved the problem -- thank you Martin -- and it's very much
                faster than xchm.

                As for the rest: mechon-mamre.org is a nice site (specially for Mishne Tora)
                but if you want really good Sifrut Kodesh go to http://kodesh.snunit.k12.il/:
                they have, beside T"NKh, Mishna, Tosefta, Talmud Yerushalmi, Talmud Bavli,
                Mishne Tora LHaRambam. The home site http://www.snunit.k12.il/ has a *lot* of
                stuff in Ivrit, unrelated to Kodesh. I strongly recommend it for `Amkha...

                S"S
                Cheers
                ~=michel
                --
                Michel Eytan
                eithn@...
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Snunit is the educational station, so to speak, Michel.

                  Martha

                  On 03 Feb 2006, at 05:59, Michel Eytan wrote:

                  > My grateful thanks to all the kind people who have given me URLs
                  > or softs
                  > for the Hebrew Bible. However the Parallel does *much more* than
                  > all these:
                  >
                  > It gives *IN PARALLEL* and for each sentence: Modern Hebrew
                  > (Ashuri), Paleo
                  > Hebrew (before 585 BCE), Hebrew Transliterated, Latin Vulgate, King
                  > James
                  > Version, American Standard, Bible in Basic English, Darby's English
                  > Translation, Douay Rheims Bible, Noah Webster Bible, World English
                  > Bible,
                  > Young's Literal Translation. I *said* it was worth the $5 I paid
                  > for it.
                  > On-line it's obviously free.
                  >
                  > Of course the standard Hebrew HTML Bible, available on the same
                  > site is
                  > *free* on- or off-line and the lines read OK on recent browsers.
                  >
                  > Finally Chmox solved the problem -- thank you Martin -- and it's
                  > very much
                  > faster than xchm.
                  >
                  > As for the rest: mechon-mamre.org is a nice site (specially for
                  > Mishne Tora)
                  > but if you want really good Sifrut Kodesh go to http://
                  > kodesh.snunit.k12.il/:
                  > they have, beside T"NKh, Mishna, Tosefta, Talmud Yerushalmi, Talmud
                  > Bavli,
                  > Mishne Tora LHaRambam. The home site http://www.snunit.k12.il/ has
                  > a *lot* of
                  > stuff in Ivrit, unrelated to Kodesh. I strongly recommend it for
                  > `Amkha...
                  >
                  > S"S
                  > Cheers
                  > ~=michel
                  > --
                  > Michel Eytan
                  > eithn@...
                  > I say what I mean and mean
                  > what I say
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Friedrich F. Grohmann
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 6, 2006
                    Dear all,

                    I'm a Mellel newbie and hope the answer to the following question
                    seems ridiculously simple to experienced users. The situation is this:
                    I've created a template with the main font set to LiHei Pro (which
                    means the main part of the documents is in Chinese) and the secondary
                    font to Gentium.

                    This combination works fine and as expected as soon as I begin to
                    write. The problem starts when I copy text from another document which
                    was created in Nisus Writer Express. As far as I can see, main font and
                    secondary font settings do not apply to the text pasted. So my question
                    is: what can I do to change the behaviour of pasted text so that it
                    complies with the template stipulations?

                    Thanks in advance,
                    Fritz
                  • Friedrich F. Grohmann
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 6, 2006
                      I think I found the solution myself. I was confused about paragraph and
                      character styles but now it seems I've sorted that one out.

                      All the best,
                      Fritz
                    • Friedrich F. Grohmann
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2006
                        My setup is OS 10.3.9 with Mellel 2.0.4 on a G4 powerbook. In a
                        document in which the main font is set to LiHei Pro and the secondary
                        font to Gentium I'm running into the following problem:

                        When I change the keyboard to insert some Roman bits and pieces into
                        the Chinese text it works fine as long as it is text. The moment I try
                        to type Arabic numerals LiHei Pro is displayed and not Gentium although
                        the selected keyboard is British English.

                        What do I have to do in order to get the numerals in Gentium?

                        Thanks in advance,
                        Fritz
                      • Janet Nussbaum
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2006
                          I don't use Chinese, so I'm just I'm guessing here, but I think the
                          source of your problem is that you've placed LiHei Pro as primary
                          font and Gentium as secondary font.

                          I think you need to switch them.

                          Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                          Kiriat Ono, Israel

                          ג'נט נוסבאום
                          קרית אונו

                          On 7 Feb, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Friedrich F. Grohmann wrote:

                          > My setup is OS 10.3.9 with Mellel 2.0.4 on a G4 powerbook. In a
                          > document in which the main font is set to LiHei Pro and the secondary
                          > font to Gentium I'm running into the following problem:
                          >
                          > When I change the keyboard to insert some Roman bits and pieces into
                          > the Chinese text it works fine as long as it is text. The moment I try
                          > to type Arabic numerals LiHei Pro is displayed and not Gentium
                          > although
                          > the selected keyboard is British English.
                          >
                          > What do I have to do in order to get the numerals in Gentium?
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance,
                          > Fritz
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Joe Wicentowski
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2006
                            Janet's right, Fritz. Make Gentium your primary font and LiHei Pro
                            your secondary font, if you want to be drawing on Gentium for its
                            Roman text and Arabic numerals, and LiHei only for its Chinese
                            characters. (And don't forget to set your Secondary Font's 'Script'
                            to CJK.) LiHei contains a full set of Roman letters and Arabic
                            numerals, so setting it as Primary Font shouldn't give Gentium a
                            chance to display anything.

                            (Why, as you say, Gentium is used to display Roman text at all given
                            your settings is a mystery to me. On my system if I use your same
                            Primary & Secondary font settings, LiHei appears for Roman text as
                            well as Arabic numerals and Chinese.)

                            You shouldn't set primary and secondary fonts based on their
                            'frequency of use in the document' but rather by which font you want
                            to have get first dibs at trying to display your font, and which font
                            should be relied on to pick up the glyphs that aren't in your primary
                            font. Ideally, the Redlers will add a 'tertiary font' to sweep up
                            the rest; but for now, if your needs aren't met by the Primary/
                            Secondary font model, you'll have to either add more styles or rely
                            either on ad-hoc formatting.

                            Best,
                            Joe

                            On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Janet Nussbaum wrote:

                            > I don't use Chinese, so I'm just I'm guessing here, but I think the
                            > source of your problem is that you've placed LiHei Pro as primary
                            > font and Gentium as secondary font.
                            >
                            > I think you need to switch them.
                            >
                            > Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                            > Kiriat Ono, Israel
                            >
                            > ג'נט נוסבאום
                            > קרית אונו
                            >

                            > On 7 Feb, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Friedrich F. Grohmann wrote:
                            >
                            >> My setup is OS 10.3.9 with Mellel 2.0.4 on a G4 powerbook. In a
                            >> document in which the main font is set to LiHei Pro and the secondary
                            >> font to Gentium I'm running into the following problem:
                            >>
                            >> When I change the keyboard to insert some Roman bits and pieces into
                            >> the Chinese text it works fine as long as it is text. The moment I
                            >> try
                            >> to type Arabic numerals LiHei Pro is displayed and not Gentium
                            >> although
                            >> the selected keyboard is British English.
                            >>
                            >> What do I have to do in order to get the numerals in Gentium?
                            >>
                            >> Thanks in advance,
                            >> Fritz
                          • Friedrich F. Grohmann
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 7, 2006
                              My gratitude to Janet and Joe, the problem is solved. Janet wrote

                              > I think the
                              > source of your problem is that you've placed LiHei Pro as primary
                              > font and Gentium as secondary font.

                              Well, I was just following what the documentation suggests: "The Main
                              font settings should be used with the main script you intend to use."
                              Since about 90% of the document are in Chinese, I dutifully set LiHei
                              Pro to the primary font. But judging from what Joe said,

                              > You shouldn't set primary and secondary fonts based on their
                              > 'frequency of use in the document' but rather by which font you want
                              > to have get first dibs at trying to display your font, and which font
                              > should be relied on to pick up the glyphs that aren't in your primary
                              > font.

                              there seems to be a discrepancy between the MellelGuide's advice and
                              the actual behaviour of the application.

                              Joe wondered:

                              > Why, as you say, Gentium is used to display Roman text at all given
                              > your settings is a mystery to me. On my system if I use your same
                              > Primary & Secondary font settings, LiHei appears for Roman text as
                              > well as Arabic numerals and Chinese.

                              I have no idea. I thought it might have to do with the fact that the
                              document was originally created in Nisus Writer Express but in order to
                              check I created a new document in Mellel from scratch and, again,
                              Gentium displays beautifully. If this weren't the case and, as you
                              describe your situation, everything would be LiHei Pro I would despair.

                              Again, thanks for your kind help.

                              Fritz
                            • Waldfried Premper
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                                Hi Mellelers,

                                can anybody kindly provide once and for all some precise information
                                or even perhaps a sort of official statement by the authors about the
                                meaning of the word "mellel"? I am not so good in Hebrew; The
                                standard Hebrew-German dictionary (Langenscheidt) in which I looked
                                up the word just tells something like "empty words; talking" ("leere
                                Worte; Reden"), which does not sound very appropriate ...
                                Unfortunately I cannot find the solution on the Mellel homepage,
                                either.

                                Always curious about the meaning behind things (or words)
                                Waldfried
                              • raymond
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                                  Mellel for what I know is text but also what you see in the attach
                                  picture.
                                  Raymond
                                • Joshua Yarden
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                                    "Mellel" is a collective noun, which - objectively speaking - means
                                    'wordage' or 'verbal text,' often referring to the words as opposed
                                    to the numbers or pictures in a text.

                                    (This might give us some insight as to why the software is great with
                                    words, but leaves something to be desired when it comes to numbering
                                    schemes, not to mention the manipulation of pictures and diagrams...
                                    but I'm very pleased with the recent improvements!)

                                    The Hebrew word "Mellel" (מלל) comes from the same root as
                                    "Mila" (word - מילה). It can be used in a specific context to mean
                                    "verbiage," as in excessive or empty wordiness, but not necessarily,
                                    and I don't imagine it's what the Redlers had in mind.

                                    jy..

                                    On Feb 22, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Waldfried Premper wrote:

                                    > Hi Mellelers,
                                    >
                                    > can anybody kindly provide once and for all some precise information
                                    > or even perhaps a sort of official statement by the authors about the
                                    > meaning of the word "mellel"? I am not so good in Hebrew; The
                                    > standard Hebrew-German dictionary (Langenscheidt) in which I looked
                                    > up the word just tells something like "empty words; talking" ("leere
                                    > Worte; Reden"), which does not sound very appropriate ...
                                    > Unfortunately I cannot find the solution on the Mellel homepage,
                                    > either.
                                    >
                                    > Always curious about the meaning behind things (or words)
                                    > Waldfried
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Simi Chavel
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                                      verbiage.
                                      - Simi

                                      On Feb 22, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Waldfried Premper wrote:

                                      > Hi Mellelers,
                                      >
                                      > can anybody kindly provide once and for all some precise information
                                      > or even perhaps a sort of official statement by the authors about the
                                      > meaning of the word "mellel"? I am not so good in Hebrew; The
                                      > standard Hebrew-German dictionary (Langenscheidt) in which I looked
                                      > up the word just tells something like "empty words; talking" ("leere
                                      > Worte; Reden"), which does not sound very appropriate ...
                                      > Unfortunately I cannot find the solution on the Mellel homepage,
                                      > either.
                                      >
                                      > Always curious about the meaning behind things (or words)
                                      > Waldfried
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Janet Nussbaum
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                                        MELLEL in modern usage means "text."

                                        The source verb MEM-LAMED-LAMED means to speak or express.
                                        See Genesis 21:7
                                        וַתֹּ֗אמֶר מִ֤י מִלֵּל֙ לְאַבְרָהָ֔ם הֵינִ֥יקָה בָנִ֖ים שָׂרָ֑ה
                                        And she added, Who would have said to Abraham That Sarah would suckle children!

                                        Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                                        Kiriat Ono, Israel

                                        ג'נט נוסבאום
                                        קרית אונו

                                        On 22 Feb, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Waldfried Premper wrote:

                                        Hi Mellelers,

                                        can anybody kindly provide once and for all some precise information
                                        or even perhaps a sort of official statement by the authors about the
                                        meaning of the word "mellel"? I am not so good in Hebrew; The
                                        standard Hebrew-German dictionary (Langenscheidt) in which I looked
                                        up the word just tells something like "empty words; talking" ("leere
                                        Worte; Reden"), which does not sound very appropriate ...
                                        Unfortunately I cannot find the solution on the Mellel homepage,
                                        either.

                                        Always curious about the meaning behind things (or words)
                                        Waldfried

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Paolo Tramannoni
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 24, 2006
                                          Waldfried,

                                          >... just tells something like "empty words; talking" ("leere
                                          >Worte; Reden"), which does not sound very appropriate

                                          This, because you have never read what I write with Mellel :-)

                                          Tschuss,
                                          Paolo

                                          --
                                          Paolo Tramannoni