Automatic "curly quotes"

  • Steven Folberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi,

      Just a feature request, as the subject implies. I know that I've
      mentioned this before, but hope it doesn't slip through the cracks as
      updates come out. I'm just completing a major project in Mellel, for
      public distribution. It's been a pleasure to put Mellel through its
      paces; styles, in particular, have worked great. But real automatic
      "open" and "closing" quotes would make my document look that much more
      professional, and inserting them by hand would just take too much time.

      Steve

      "You are not required to complete the work, but neither are you free to
      abstain from it."
      -- Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot
    • Lambert Dickmeis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2003
        Steven Folberg wrote:
        > Just a feature request, as the subject implies. I know that I've
        > mentioned this before, but hope it doesn't slip through the cracks as
        > updates come out. I'm just completing a major project in Mellel, for
        > public distribution. It's been a pleasure to put Mellel through its
        > paces; styles, in particular, have worked great. But real automatic
        > "open" and "closing" quotes would make my document look that much more
        > professional, and inserting them by hand would just take too much time.

        There's a free OS X Service - called "Word Service" - that will change the quotation marks in selected text (and much more).

        <http://www.devon-technologies.com/freeware.php>
        --
        Lambert

        Top posting.
        > What's the most annoying thing on usenet?
      • bookleafus
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
          > There's a free OS X Service - called "Word Service" - that will change the quotation
          marks in selected text (and much more).

          It seems to have a problem with Mellel on this. I have tried several times, and though
          Word Services does indeed change plain quotes to smart quotes, it removes the text
          formatting at the same time, e.g. changes italics to plain text, and on one occasion also
          turned my justified text to left aligned text. Has anyone else experienced this?

          By the way, this may or may not have been mentioned before:
          Although the Apple spelling checker which is supported by Mellel, when using contextual
          menus (i.e. control plus shift) does not show the usual "learn spelling" or list of suggested
          corrections, there is a way around this. If the misspelled word is hilighted by the spell
          checker, if the hilighted word is copied (command-C or F3) and the Spelling option in the
          spelling submenu of Edit (accessed by command-:) is chosen, the hilighted word appears
          in the appropriate spot in the submenu; if "guess" is then clicked, the usual suggested
          corrections then appear, and "learn" or "correct" can be selected. This is a cumbersome
          workaround, and given that there seems to be no user-friendly way to make a macro to
          perform the operation (something QucKeys used to be useful for in pre-X days), it is a
          nuisance. But it does work. Obviously it is desirable to Mellel fix this situation by having
          contextual menus show the "learn spelling" and the suggestions, as other X applications
          do.

          On the other hand, congratulations to Mellel for giving the user the extra possibility the
          other programs for X do not do: the choice to check spelling by paragraph.

          Finally, a very subjective and picky point: Mellel's way of hilighting misspelled words is
          very ugly. Could we be allowed to choose a different color for that hilighting. I have my
          normal hilighting color set to yellow, in OS X preferences. It'd be nice to have a choice of
          setting the misspelling hilighting to a nice pale blue or pink or orange or something.

          Don Broadribb
        • Lambert Dickmeis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
            I wrote:
            >> There's a free OS X Service - called "Word Service" - that will
            >> change the quotation marks in selected text (and much more).

            bookleafus replied:
            > It seems to have a problem with Mellel on this. I have tried several
            > times, and though Word Services does indeed change plain quotes to
            > smart quotes, it removes the text formatting at the same time, e.g.
            > changes italics to plain text, and on one occasion also turned my
            > justified text to left aligned text. Has anyone else experienced this?

            Well, I guess that's the "much more" part. :-) But kidding aside, I've just run the Word Service Convert > Smart Quote command on formatted text and the first character style being used in the selected text was applied to the whole of it. Bummer. Since this doesn't happen in TextEdit (RTF documents) there seems to be a compatibility problem with Mellel somewhere.

            Apologies if I've pointed anybody in the wrong direction.
            --
            Lambert

            Top posting.
            > What's the most annoying thing on usenet?
          • Eyal Redler
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hi Don,

              > It seems to have a problem with Mellel on this. I have tried several
              > times, and though
              > Word Services does indeed change plain quotes to smart quotes, it
              > removes the text
              > formatting at the same time, e.g. changes italics to plain text, and
              > on one occasion also
              > turned my justified text to left aligned text. Has anyone else
              > experienced this?

              This makes sense... Mellel passes a plain string (no formatting) to the
              service. And a plain string is returned. Mellel then inserts this using
              the first character attributes...
              It is possible to pass a formatted string but since Mellel uses custom
              attributes this can be tricky.
              On the brighter side, we plan to incorporate a "curly quote" feature
              soon...

              > By the way, this may or may not have been mentioned before:
              > Although the Apple spelling checker which is supported by Mellel, when
              > using contextual
              > menus (i.e. control plus shift) does not show the usual "learn
              > spelling" or list of suggested
              > corrections, there is a way around this. If the misspelled word is
              > hilighted by the spell
              > checker, if the hilighted word is copied (command-C or F3) and the
              > Spelling option in the
              > spelling submenu of Edit (accessed by command-:) is chosen, the
              > hilighted word appears
              > in the appropriate spot in the submenu; if "guess" is then clicked,
              > the usual suggested
              > corrections then appear, and "learn" or "correct" can be selected.
              > This is a cumbersome
              > workaround, and given that there seems to be no user-friendly way to
              > make a macro to
              > perform the operation (something QucKeys used to be useful for in
              > pre-X days), it is a
              > nuisance. But it does work. Obviously it is desirable to Mellel fix
              > this situation by having
              > contextual menus show the "learn spelling" and the suggestions, as
              > other X applications
              > do.

              For some strange reason, Apple doesn't provide a programmatic way to
              "learn" spelling (and I suspect this is a custom feature of Cocoa's
              text system - which Mellel doesn't use) we trying to figure out a way
              to "hack" this...

              > Finally, a very subjective and picky point: Mellel's way of hilighting
              > misspelled words is
              > very ugly. Could we be allowed to choose a different color for that
              > hilighting. I have my
              > normal hilighting color set to yellow, in OS X preferences. It'd be
              > nice to have a choice of
              > setting the misspelling hilighting to a nice pale blue or pink or
              > orange or something.

              A preferences option to do just that is planned... Along with the color
              of "invisible characters" and note highlights...

              Eyal Redler
              ------------------------
              "If Uri Geller bends spoons with divine powers, then he's doing it the
              hard way."
              --James Randi
            • Steven Folberg
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                Whew! I'm glad I didn't try it. ;-) I have a 20-page document full of
                complex formatting! Not worth redoing all that to get the curly quotes!

                Steve

                On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 02:54 AM, Lambert Dickmeis wrote:

                > I wrote:
                > >> There's a free OS X Service - called "Word Service" - that will
                > >> change the quotation marks in selected text (and much more).
                >
                > bookleafus replied:
                > > It seems to have a problem with Mellel on this. I have tried several
                > > times, and though Word Services does indeed change plain quotes to
                > > smart quotes, it removes the text formatting at the same time, e.g.
                > > changes italics to plain text, and on one occasion also turned my
                > > justified text to left aligned text. Has anyone else experienced
                > this?
                >
                > Well, I guess that's the "much more" part. :-) But kidding aside, I've
                > just run the Word Service Convert > Smart Quote command on formatted
                > text and the first character style being used in the selected text was
                > applied to the whole of it. Bummer. Since this doesn't happen in
                > TextEdit (RTF documents) there seems to be a compatibility problem
                > with Mellel somewhere.
                >
                > Apologies if I've pointed anybody in the wrong direction.
                > --
                > Lambert
                >
                > Top posting.
                > > What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

                <image.tiff>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Steven Folberg wrote:
                  > Whew! I'm glad I didn't try it. ;-) I have a 20-page document full of
                  > complex formatting! Not worth redoing all that to get the curly
                  > quotes!

                  Well, there is always the Undo command (Cmd-Z), no?

                  When you're done with your document, you could also use Find And Replace, but this is quite a hassle because you have to distinguish between opening and closing quotation marks, single and double quotation marks, and apostrophes.
                  --
                  Lambert

                  A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
                  (Mitch Ratliffe)
                • Romanian Association of Slavic Studies
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Hi all,

                    Well, there is always a problem with 'word services' in general, and this o=
                    ne in
                    particular. I assume Word Service was not planned for complex doc import, s=
                    o I
                    assume no one can ask for more.
                    Exchanging data in a complex, multi-cultural and multi-script world has bec=
                    ome a
                    challenge, theoretically solved by the gradual implementation of unicode. S=
                    o the
                    efforts, no doubt difficult, should be directed towards identifying a solid=
                    , reliable
                    import-export capability.
                    In my tests, rtf import is very good with Mellel, anyway not worse than in =
                    NWX. There
                    is indeed a problem with .doc import, but I assume this task is on its way =
                    ahead.
                    Please note that, theoretically, NWX imports .doc. Please also note that it=
                    took me
                    more than 10 minutes to import some 70 .doc pages in NWX. Definitely, this =
                    is not a
                    solution. If Mellel has to implement such a feature, then it should be a so=
                    lid, reliable
                    one, fast enough â€" well, several seconds, depending on the doc length, an=
                    d assuming
                    that there are not huge docs of over 300 pages! :)