image resizing probs

  • Yaacov Lefcoe
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      So I scanned an image to preview (TIFF), cropped, and copied and pasted
      to Mellel, but when I resize to integrate it with text, the image
      'grabs' about another third of its own size above itself that can't be
      used. Anyone know why this is and what might be done?
      Thanx!
      YL
    • Shuguang Wen
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
        Have you tried to use JPEG format instead of TIFF?
        There is a very small but nifty Japanese application (free)
        called DND Converter which can convert pictures to any
        size/resolution/quality JPG you want. DND C is available
        on the Japanese Apple site from where a link directs you to:
        <http://homepage.mac.com/yhanda/soft.html>

        I was able to handle pictures successfully in Mellel
        by using a page-big table to incorporate both paragraphs
        of text and pictures in table cells exactly the size of the
        respective contents. Typically, it would be made up of
        at least three columns (two large columns to accomodate
        the text and one tiny 4-5mm column between them to
        separate the text of the two main columns). And then,
        by creating as many horizontal subdivisions as you need,
        you may drag your pictures into the appropriately sized
        table cells — the picture widths could range from anything
        between or below the width of one or both (ie all three)
        columns, up to the very full width of the whole table:
        For example a picture cropped to a "panorama size" (of
        eg 180mm x maybe only 45mm high) spanning right
        across your A4. I even did tables stretching across the full
        A4 width (210mm), using only those cell spaces i wanted
        to. Needless to say that basically none of the table lines
        ever shows in the final print or PDF, i use the tables only
        as the invisible structure underlying the page layout
        (Mellel Palettte>Table>Attributes>Line Type: None).

        HTH,

        Heinz.

        On 2005 Sep 2, at 04:10, Yaacov Lefcoe wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > So I scanned an image to preview (TIFF), cropped, and copied and pasted
        > to Mellel, but when I resize to integrate it with text, the image
        > 'grabs' about another third of its own size above itself that can't be
        > used. Anyone know why this is and what might be done?
        > Thanx!
        > YL
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michel Eytan
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
          Thus hath held forth Shuguang Wen at 4:20 pm +0800 on 2/9/05 re Re: [redlex]
          image resizing probs:

          > There is a very small but nifty Japanese application (free)
          > called DND Converter which can convert pictures to any
          > size/resolution/quality JPG you want. DND C is available
          > on the Japanese Apple site from where a link directs you to:
          > <http://homepage.mac.com/yhanda/soft.html>

          Great app! My only pb is that I neither speak, nor read nor even understand
          Japanese, which is the language the menus are written in ;-)
          --
          Michel Eytan
          eithn@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
            Hello,
            I notice under Mellel 1,9,1 that the command copy / paste  usual allows to restore the style of the text (arrangement of fonts, colour, PAO, etc.....).

            On the other hand when from an application as Safari one remits in the menu "service" apple + @ ,  then there one does not preserve any more the style.

            Can one change to it anything?

            Who has in mind a solution?

            Thank you in advance for your answers.

            jp.w

            _______

            Jean-Philippe WAECHTER

            waechter@...

            AIM jpwaechter

            SKYPE jpwaechter

          • Charly Avital
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
              On Sep 2, 2005, at 7:25 AM, Michel Eytan wrote:

              > Thus hath held forth Shuguang Wen at 4:20 pm +0800 on 2/9/05 re Re:
              > [redlex]
              > image resizing probs:
              >

              >> There is a very small but nifty Japanese application (free)
              >> called DND Converter which can convert pictures to any
              >> size/resolution/quality JPG you want. DND C is available
              >> on the Japanese Apple site from where a link directs you to:
              >> <http://homepage.mac.com/yhanda/soft.html>
              >>

              > Great app! My only pb is that I neither speak, nor read nor even
              > understand
              > Japanese, which is the language the menus are written in ;-)
              [...]

              Neither do I, Michel. I just did the obvious thing: dragged a TIF
              file and dropped it over DnD.app's icon, got a .jpg file
              But the important thing is to be able to set the .app's Preferences
              where the size/resolution/quality calibration can be made.

              Maybe the author, Yuji Handa (in Bcc: in this message) could provide
              an English.lproj?
              The Localizable.strings file can be "rewritten" to English, without
              having to understand Japanese, since the basic terms are already in
              English.
              But without knowing Japanese, nothing can be done with the
              MainMenu.nib (Interface Builder.app).
              Thanks in advance.

              Charly
            • raymond
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                You may wish to try a very useful tool
                "DropJPEG 2.1b1
                by Kevin Wojniak
                kainjow@...

                What is it
                DropJPEG is a simple program that converts images dropped on its icon
                into JPEG. DropJPEG is has been tested and is compatible with the
                following image formats: TIFF, BMP, JP2, GIF, and PNG (see version
                history below for more).

                How does it work?
                To use DropJPEG, drag an image or a folder of images onto its icon. The
                images will then be converted to a JPEG. If your image's name is
                "mypic.tiff" then it will be renamed to "mypic.jpg" in the same folder.

                DropJPEG is freeware and requires Mac OS 10.1 or higher."

                Unfortunately, I do not recall from where I downloaded it, but I assume
                a quick googling will do it.

                HTH

                Raymond

                On 02/09/2005, at 14:25, Michel Eytan wrote:

                > Thus hath held forth Shuguang Wen at 4:20 pm +0800 on 2/9/05 re Re:
                > [redlex]
                > image resizing probs:
                >
                >> There is a very small but nifty Japanese application (free)
                >> called DND Converter which can convert pictures to any
                >> size/resolution/quality JPG you want. DND C is available
                >> on the Japanese Apple site from where a link directs you to:
                >> <http://homepage.mac.com/yhanda/soft.html>
                >
                > Great app! My only pb is that I neither speak, nor read nor even
                > understand
                > Japanese, which is the language the menus are written in ;-)
                > --
                > Michel Eytan
                > eithn@...
                > I say what I mean and mean what
                > I say
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Charly Avital
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                  At 4:38 PM +0300 9/2/05, raymond wrote:
                  >You may wish to try a very useful tool
                  >"DropJPEG 2.1b1
                  >by Kevin Wojniak
                  >kainjow@...
                  [...]

                  >Unfortunately, I do not recall from where I downloaded it, but I assume
                  >a quick googling will do it.

                  The author's e-mail domain is a good enough pointer.

                  <http://www.kainjow.com/software/>

                  Current version is 2.3

                  Take care,

                  Charly
                • manfred kropp
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Hi all,
                    does anyone know how to change the background colour of the document
                    windows. I have sored eyes from years of reading micro films on
                    screen und my doctor recommended my to put complementary colours to
                    green, i.e. yellow and blue for background and characters; best is
                    the darker (blue) background and yellow script. That is how I use
                    other word processors.
                    If this option is not yet implemented in Mellel I would suggest to do it.
                    Thanks and greetings
                    Manfred
                  • Michel Eytan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Thus hath held forth raymond at 4:38 pm +0300 on 2/9/05 re Re: [redlex] image
                      resizing probs:

                      > You may wish to try a very useful tool
                      > "DropJPEG 2.1b1
                      > by Kevin Wojniak
                      > kainjow@...
                      >
                      > What is it
                      > DropJPEG is a simple program that converts images dropped on its icon
                      > into JPEG. DropJPEG is has been tested and is compatible with the
                      > following image formats: TIFF, BMP, JP2, GIF, and PNG (see version
                      > history below for more).

                      Sorry to butt in Folks. It's actually called "DropJPG" and it's available in
                      version 2.3 at versiontracker.com.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Toda for the link and the update.
                        I forgot to write that it turns PDF screen pictures into JPG formats.
                        Raymond
                        On 02/09/2005, at 18:23, Charly Avital wrote:

                        > The author's e-mail domain is a good enough pointer.
                        >
                        > <http://www.kainjow.com/software/>
                        >
                        > Current version is 2.3
                        >
                        > Take care,
                        >
                        > Charly

                      • Shuguang Wen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005
                          [This post was to be sent not long after the first one (Sept 2),
                          but due to a temporary failure (somewhere between our
                          computer and the internet provider) i couldn t send it off
                          before today. Now (i ve just got and seen the newest mails
                          from Mellel listers), i feel even more sorry for the confusion i
                          have created with the Japananese DnD Converter!]

                          Dear Yaacov (& other Mellusers)

                          I just realised that the present version of the DnD Converter
                          (2.1) has menus and ReadMe all in Japanese exclusively.
                          I have DnD C 1.5.5 of which there existed also an English
                          version for download. I m sorry if i have caused you (or any
                          body else) any inconvenience. Who is interested in getting
                          this tiny program (it s a mere 200+KB) can contact me
                          and i will be happy to send it attached to an empty mail.
                          As there was an English edition of earlier versions like 1.5.5,
                          i guess that there will eventually be one available for 2.x
                          as well . . .

                          Better, of course, would be using Graphic Converter for this
                          job. GC is a shareware (and i think it should be included
                          in the OS X Tiger upgrade package for free use, so if you
                          are already on Tiger you don t need look for anything else).
                          In terms of picture (format, size and quality) conversion
                          you will soon find that there is really nothing that GC could
                          not do for you. And GC not only can do whatever you would
                          want to do, but it also can do it very well.

                          Shalom!

                          Heinz.

                          2005.09.02, 04:10, Yaacov Lefcoe:

                          > Hi all,
                          > So I scanned an image to preview (TIFF), cropped, and copied and pasted
                          > to Mellel, but when I resize to integrate it with text, the image
                          > 'grabs' about another third of its own size above itself that can't be
                          > used. Anyone know why this is and what might be done?
                          > Thanx!
                          > YL
                        • Shuguang Wen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 6, 2005
                            2005.09.06, 07:37, Michel Eytan:

                            > Thus hath held forth Shuguang Wen at 7:05 pm +0800 on 4/9/05 re Re:
                            > [redlex]
                            > image resizing probs (apology):
                            >

                            >> Better, of course, would be using Graphic Converter for this
                            >> job. GC is a shareware (and i think it should be included
                            >> in the OS X Tiger upgrade package for free use, so if you
                            >> are already on Tiger you don t need look for anything else).
                            >> In terms of picture (format, size and quality) conversion
                            >> you will soon find that there is really nothing that GC could
                            >> not do for you. And GC not only can do whatever you would
                            >> want to do, but it also can do it very well.
                            >
                            > Heinz,
                            >
                            > I do have GC. I would like to change a PDF file to a certain specified
                            > size
                            > (90 x 52 mm) but I just can't get it to do this correctly. Thanks for
                            > any
                            > help.

                            I have to confess that i am no "power-user" of CG myself, and i have
                            never used it for dealing with PDF, but mostly with JPEG and TIFF.
                            I know i will have to be more familiar with use and resizing of PDF,
                            too — in the future. From my own experience i can only say that
                            GC could do whatever i wanted it to do in terms of file conversion,
                            but *others* told me that GC can do much more than that . . .

                            So i m sorry i can t give you a good answer right away, i hope some
                            one else can do that in the meantime. I am going to look into how
                            i could deal with PDF using GC (so far i only used Acrobat for this
                            kind of job, and on a Windoze peecee, for that; so i have to learn
                            a bit more about this subject as well . . .

                            Cheers!

                            Heinz.
                          • RedleX Mail
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 6, 2005
                              Hi,

                              You cannot change the background colour... Yet. This option will be
                              available with Mellel 2.0.

                              Ori

                              On 02/09/2005, at 18:26, manfred kropp wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              > does anyone know how to change the background colour of the document
                              > windows. I have sored eyes from years of reading micro films on
                              > screen und my doctor recommended my to put complementary colours to
                              > green, i.e. yellow and blue for background and characters; best is
                              > the darker (blue) background and yellow script. That is how I use
                              > other word processors.
                              > If this option is not yet implemented in Mellel I would suggest to
                              > do it.
                              > Thanks and greetings
                              > Manfred

                            • manfred kropp
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 7, 2005
                                Thank you, good news. When will Mellel 2 be out?
                                I enjoy already the Syriac parts of Mellel a lot. It has become my
                                favourite word processor for Arabic, Ethiopic and Syriac.
                                Greetings
                                Manfred