Styles

  • John Tiftickjian
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello group,

      I am a new user of Mellel. I like a lot about this program but am still
      learning its idiosyncrasies. One thing I am having trouble with is the
      concept of "global" styles. That idea is fine, but what if I want styles
      specific to a particular document and I want to edit those styles so that
      they affect ONLY that document. Is there really no way for a document to
      have its own local styles that are editable? That seems counterintuitive.

      I may have some styles that only make sense in one document. But if I
      define those styles (globally), then close that document and later delete
      the global styles (because I will not use them again in any other
      document), when I open that document again, I can't edit the styles
      anymore.

      Am I interpreting this correctly? Does anyone have tips on the best way
      to use global versus document styles?

      Thanks,

      John.

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      John D. Tiftickjian, Ph.D. Department of Biological Sciences
      Delta State University
      Professor of Biology, DSU Cleveland, Mississippi 38733
      jtift@... 601-846-4246
    • Erithacus rubecula
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi John,
        On 02/09/2004, at 2:18 PM, John Tiftickjian wrote:

        > I am a new user of Mellel.
        Welcome.
        > I like a lot about this program but am still
        > learning its idiosyncrasies. One thing I am having trouble with is the
        > concept of "global" styles. That idea is fine, but what if I want
        > styles
        > specific to a particular document and I want to edit those styles so
        > that
        > they affect ONLY that document. Is there really no way for a document
        > have its own local styles that are editable? That seems
        > counterintuitive.
        >
        > I may have some styles that only make sense in one document. But if I
        > define those styles (globally), then close that document and later
        > delete
        > the global styles (because I will not use them again in any other
        > document), when I open that document again, I can't edit the styles
        > anymore.
        >
        > Am I interpreting this correctly? Does anyone have tips on the best way
        > to use global versus document styles?

        You're interpreting this correctly. You can however, do a sort of work
        around on this. If you have a document with unique styles and you
        subsequently delete those styles (because you don't want to scroll
        through a list of hundreds), and then open the document in Mellel
        again, you'll still have your styles unique to the document but they
        will be called 'imported style such and such'. You can select a
        paragraph and then reapply the style. The one bad thing of this is if
        you delete a paragraph which is the last example of that particular
        unique style, then it disappears from the document (ie you can't reappy
        that style again from the styles menu).

        Apparently one of the features that's coming (1.9?) is the ability to
        save 'sets' of styles, ie a suite of styles for business letters,
        another for academic papers, another for grant proposals etc. That
        still doesn't address the issue that you're bringing up. I for one
        would want to see the ability to keep styles unique to a document and
        have previously petitioned so.

        Best

        Robin