Re: variable dates

  • amcawood
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
      This illustrates Mellel's Achilles heel. I'm a professional writer dealing with a world that
      only acknowledges .DOC, .RTF and .TXT formats. Mellel's styles only allows information to
      be inserted into headers and footers, but Mellel's export function doesn't export header
      and footer information. Therefore I'm obliged to use the OS X stationary function to create
      templates, but variable dates, etc, apparently don't function within stationary templates.

      I'll be sticking to Mellel for the time being, though. I've recently given MS Word a test run,
      and boggle at the thought of actually having write something with it. Mellel is the best
      writing machine I've come across. At the same time, Mellel's inability to trade anything but
      fairly basic text with the rest of the publishing world is a daily source of frustration. I'm
      aware of the difficulties in trying to match competing RTF formats, but if the wizards of
      Tel Aviv can't do it, I'll probably have to buy Word just so that I can talk with the rest of the
      world. Dammit.

      Matt

      --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Browsing <gwilson188@e...> wrote:
      > Matt,
      >
      > At first I thought perhaps you had put in the "normal date, text", but
      > you have indicated you are using the Document Creation Date. I
      > experimented for the past couple of days, and I find that both time and
      > date work properly for me when I insert them as data into a document I
      > open from one of my styles. I cannot "save" a style after editing with
      > the variable as part of the header, as the option is greyed out. I
      > realized it had been working for me because I tend to use a template
      > file rather than style only when I am writing letters. I just open and
      > copy a file for that. I am using Mellel v. 1.7.5 (build 31) on a PB4
      > with OS 10.2.8. Anyone else have a comment on this?
      > Gloria
      >
      > On Wednesday, July 28, 2004, at 09:32 PM, amcawood wrote:
      >
      > > I still don't get variable dates.
      > >
      > > I have a Mellel stationary template that has a series of standard
      > > headings, one of them
      > > being the date. My understanding is that if I make up the stationary
      > > with <Insert/Date/
      > > Document Creation Date> following the Date header, Mellel should
      > > insert a field that is
      > > updated with the current date each time I use the stationary.
      > >
      > > It doesn't. And if it doesn't, what does it do?
      > >
      > > Matt
    • RedleX Mail
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
        Hi Matt,

        Perhaps you should use Insert > Date > Document Opening Date if you
        want the date to change every time you use the stationary.

        Regarding your other note: Fret not, we will attend to exporting
        headers/footers in RTF soon.

        Ori

        On Jul 29, 2004, at 07:32, amcawood wrote:

        > I still don't get variable dates.
        >
        > I have a Mellel stationary template that has a series of standard
        > headings, one of them
        > being the date. My understanding is that if I make up the stationary
        > with <Insert/Date/
        > Document Creation Date> following the Date header, Mellel should
        > insert a field that is
        > updated with the current date each time I use the stationary.
        >
        > It doesn't. And if it doesn't, what does it do?
        >
        > Matt
      • John Laudun
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21, 2004
          You know the word "Mellel" across the bottom is mostly unreadable at smaller
          icon sizes. What would folks think of simply using the app's typewriter as
          the graphic identity for its documents? I sometimes scroll right past my
          Mellel documents in list view.

          Just one of those Saturday morning thoughts. I'm a fairly new user here and
          as I learn the "Mellel way" of doing things, as opposed to the "Word way,"
          I'm beginning to realize the program's strengths and advantages.
        • Behnam
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 21, 2004
            I'm with you on this. But the icon should be a document icon
            (rectangular with folded corner) as it is now. Instead of the word
            "Mellel" there can be the typewriter.
            I however, have some concern about the visibility of gray color of the
            typewriter icon altogether. Even in the dock, sometimes it's difficult
            to find it amongst all those colorful icons!

            On 21-Aug-04, at 9:56 AM, John Laudun wrote:

            > You know the word "Mellel" across the bottom is mostly unreadable at
            > smaller
            > icon sizes. What would folks think of simply using the app's
            > typewriter as
            > the graphic identity for its documents? I sometimes scroll right past
            > my
            > Mellel documents in list view.
            >
            > Just one of those Saturday morning thoughts. I'm a fairly new user
            > here and
            > as I learn the "Mellel way" of doing things, as opposed to the "Word
            > way,"
            > I'm beginning to realize the program's strengths and advantages.
          • Andrew Rodger
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2004
              On 21 Aug 2004, at 14:56, John Laudun wrote:

              > You know the word "Mellel" across the bottom is mostly unreadable at
              > smaller
              > icon sizes. What would folks think of simply using the app's
              > typewriter as
              > the graphic identity for its documents? I sometimes scroll right past
              > my
              > Mellel documents in list view.

              In my list view I can't read anything in the icons and recognize them
              by the colour and shape. I can't say I have a problem recognizing
              Mellel files in lists but then maybe I don't have other applications
              which produce similar colours. I suppose if your screen resolution is
              such that you can hope to read what is on the file icon it might work
              better if the word was shortened to mell ( as in the file suffix ). At
              the resolutions I use, even the typewriter would appear like a blob of
              grey, which would make it both less colourful and less recognizable.
              Too busy watching the rowing to be musing this Saturday morning :0)

              Drew
            • Donald Broadribb
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 21, 2004
                > > You know the word "Mellel" across the bottom is mostly unreadable at
                > > smaller
                > > icon sizes. What would folks think of simply using the app's
                > > typewriter as
                > > the graphic identity for its documents?

                I like this idea very much.

                Admittedly I use a large screen on which the typewriter icon stands out beautifully;
                presumably on a small screen no icon would be very outstanding. But why not try it for
                yourself?

                Superimpose the Mellel application's typewriter image on the Mellel document icon. You
                can get a very pretty result that way. (Photoshop users might do this best; but [shudder!]
                you can do it in AppleWorks too.) This way you get the typewriter image above the colored
                word Mellel on a dog eared application style icon. On my screen it looks very good, even in
                very small size.

                Don Broadribb
              • Browsing
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24, 2004
                  I just wanted to add my vote for this idea ... mixed listings do tend
                  to "run together" and the typewriter does help the Mellel documents
                  stand out. I just tried it by editing a copied Icon and it is much
                  easier to pick out quickly. ... is there a way to make this the
                  default for Mellel? I do not have Photoshop, etc., I just used
                  Omnigraffle to try the idea.
                  Thanks,
                  Gloria

                  On Saturday, August 21, 2004, at 09:19 PM, Donald Broadribb wrote:

                  >>> You know the word "Mellel" across the bottom is mostly unreadable at
                  >>> smaller
                  >>> icon sizes. What would folks think of simply using the app's
                  >>> typewriter as
                  >>> the graphic identity for its documents?
                  >
                  > I like this idea very much.
                  >
                  > Admittedly I use a large screen on which the typewriter icon stands
                  > out beautifully;
                  > presumably on a small screen no icon would be very outstanding. But
                  > why not try it for
                  > yourself?
                  >
                  > Superimpose the Mellel application's typewriter image on the Mellel
                  > document icon. You
                  > can get a very pretty result that way. (Photoshop users might do this
                  > best; but [shudder!]
                  > you can do it in AppleWorks too.) This way you get the typewriter
                  > image above the colored
                  > word Mellel on a dog eared application style icon. On my screen it
                  > looks very good, even in
                  > very small size.
                  >
                  > Don Broadribb
                • Dave Lyon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
                    I also would prefer a simple document icon using the great typewriter
                    logo.