bogus; was Re: [redlex] Typography, kerning, tracking....

  • Michel Eytan
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 1, 2004
      Thus hath held forth Robert Sykes at 8:31 pm -0400 on 31-05-2004 re Re:
      [redlex] Typography, kerning, tracking....:

      > Isn't it
      > obvious that noncommercial software is bogus?

      Not in the Mac world, Sirreeee
      --
      Michel Eytan eytan@umb.u-strasbg.fr
      I say what I mean and mean what I say
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 4, 2004
        2004 06 04, 16:53, RedleX Mail:

        > On Jun 3, 2004, at 04:09, Shuguang Wen wrote:
        >
        >>> for more accurate adjustment. I suggest to also offer some default
        >>> values (like Auto). With Kerning "auto" would mean using the kerning
        >>> tables in the font. Should Auto for tracking mean using the spacing
        >>> tables in the font? Are there such tables
        >> Don t know. Auto tracking should guarantee that default letter spacing
        >> is being equally applied to the selected text.
        >
        > Auto means, in this case: no change.
        Ok, so i understood it the same way.

        >>> C. Changes should affect the text "live"
        >> is there something else than "live"? – Yes of course it should be
        >> live.
        >>
        > Yes. If you change things in a modal dialogue box that's not "live".
        i see.

        >> Ok, i confess, i m spoilt with regard to ncs. When working with Nisus
        >> in
        >> the last century, this feature became indispensable for me very
        >> quickly.
        >> In fact, the only thing that smoothened the painful transition from
        >> Mac/
        >> Nisus/non-Unicode to PC/WeirdXP/Unicode for me, was the fact that
        >> WordXP offered non contiguous selection even better that that of old
        >> NW (it s better because i m able to deselect an item that i eventually
        >> – contrary to my intention – happen to select, and thereby include
        >> among the whole bunch of already selected fragments; this undoing of
        >> a mistaken selection may be achieved quite easily after some practice,
        >> whereas after a mistake in NW i always lost the whole list of
        >> selections
        >> and had to start all over again, trying to be more careful than in the
        >> previous process. In this particular respect, NW is unforgiving, but
        >> Word
        >> is flexible and gives you a second chance while still at it which i
        >> really
        >> appreciate.
        >
        > Still on our mind...
        That s great! Thank you for all your truly admirable efforts.
        I m still not really using Mellel. But i decided to try to use it
        together with Intaglio for composing the next volume of study
        materials (textbook with lots of tables, graphics and illustra-
        tions) which should be due in autumn.

        Regards,

        Heinz Wunderli-Errico