Crash with BookLightning

  • Donald Broadribb
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
      I have come across a very peculiar event: I have made a 36 page table (catalog) with
      Mellel, saved it as a pdf, and then used BookLightning to make it into a booklet, Mellel
      approximately 9 times out of 10 crashes in the process. Because Mellel so rarely
      crashes, I tested this out a number of times, including after logging out and in of
      Panther, and also after restarting the computer.

      Whether the problem lies in the pdf-izing itself, via Apple's system, I do not know;
      except that I have had no difficulties in that respect previously. It only occurs when
      Mellel and BookLighting are both running at the same time.

      Don Broadribb
    • RedleX Mail
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hi Don,

        I've encountered this myself. I'm not sure where the problem lies here.
        I think that the fact that BookLighting is not updated (I think it is
        still 1.0) causes me to wander what exactly is going on here.

        Does anyone know?

        Ori

        On Jan 1, 2004, at 10:45, Donald Broadribb wrote:

        > I have come across a very peculiar event: I have made a 36 page table
        > (catalog) with
        > Mellel, saved it as a pdf, and then used BookLightning to make it into
        > a booklet, Mellel
        > approximately 9 times out of 10 crashes in the process. Because Mellel
        > so rarely
        > crashes, I tested this out a number of times, including after logging
        > out and in of
        > Panther, and also after restarting the computer.
        >
        > Whether the problem lies in the pdf-izing itself, via Apple's system,
        > I do not know;
        > except that I have had no difficulties in that respect previously. It
        > only occurs when
        > Mellel and BookLighting are both running at the same time.
        >
        > Don Broadribb
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Chaim Forgacs
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
          On 1 Jan 2004, at 13:01, RedleX Mail wrote:

          > BookLighting

          Sorry for my ignorance, but what is BookLighting?

          Chaim
        • Gene van Troyer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
            On 1/1/04 9:08 PM, "Chaim Forgacs" <forgacs@...> wrote:

            > Sorry for my ignorance, but what is BookLighting?
            >
            > Chaim

            It is a booklet-generating utility from Meta Objects (makers of PDF
            Compress). You drop a PDF file on it, and it automatically lays the pages
            out for printing as booklets, sorting the pages into the correct order. A
            four page document would thus be rearranged to fit on two sides of one
            sheet, pages 1 & 4 on one side and pages 2 & 3 on the other. A 40 page
            document would be reduced to 10 pages printed on both sides, the first sheet
            having pages 1 & 40 on one side, and pages 2 & 39 on the other, and so on.
            It's a nifty little utility, IMHO. If you have a PDF services folder in your
            Library, it places a plug-in there so you can call it from the Print dialog
            box.

            Gene van Troyer
            ---
            BASIC (adj.)

            Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control
          • Paolo Giovanni Maria Cordone
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
              At 23:37 +0900 01/01/2004, Gene van Troyer wrote:

              > > Sorry for my ignorance, but what is BookLighting?
              >>
              >> Chaim
              >
              >It is a booklet-generating utility from Meta Objects

              Well, just in case you are looking for it on the Net, it's
              BookLightning, not BookLighting.

              Paolo
            • raymond
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
                Hello,

                Mellel saves automatically, when configured in the preferences, after
                the time you placed, only in already saved files.

                I wish mellel could auto saves even in non saved files, after starting
                to write, and even before saving the file for the first time.

                TIA

                Raymond
              • S. M. Kelly
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
                  From those of us who originally grew up in the Windows world, (or even
                  used Office on a Mac, for that matter) we're used to naming and saving
                  our docs before the first keystroke, so I personally don't see the need
                  for this. But, hey I do see your point! :)

                  SMK

                  On Jan 1, 2004, at 2:25 PM, raymond wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Mellel saves automatically, when configured in the preferences, after
                  > the time you placed, only in already saved files.
                  >
                  > I wish mellel could auto saves even in non saved files, after starting
                  > to write, and even before saving the file for the first time.
                  >
                  > TIA
                  >
                  > Raymond
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > <image.tiff>
                  > <image.tiff>
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

                • raymond
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
                    I have grown for the last eleven years on Mac. And, on all the word
                    processors I used these years, from Rav Ktav to WorldWrite and NW, This
                    feature existed, so I got used to it.

                    Raymond

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
                      On 1/2/04 6:30 AM, "S. M. Kelly" <SMKSensei@...> wrote:

                      > From those of us who originally grew up in the Windows world, (or even
                      > used Office on a Mac, for that matter) we're used to naming and saving
                      > our docs before the first keystroke, so I personally don't see the need
                      > for this. But, hey I do see your point! :)

                      You don't have to name a new document in Office any more to work on it--but
                      it's a good idea if you do name it.

                      I've always considered "Name It First" to be a safety feature, though. If
                      the app crashes while the unnamed document is open, most if not everything
                      goes poof.

                      Gene van Troyer