Indexing

  • Tim W
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      I was wondering if anyone knows of a tool that might be used to help with the creation of an index for a Mellel document. The document is a little over 100 pages, and I would like to have an index of terminology, scriptural passages, etc., without needing to do this all by hand, one page at a time.

      Thanks for any help!

      All the Best,

      Tim

      "The essence of faith is an awareness
      of the vastness of Infinity"
    • Danny Rosin
      Message 32 of 32 , May 2, 2010
        The problem is that for a complete indexing solution you need to use your final publishing software, every transfer may change the paging and the relevant page numbers.
        As long as Mellel doesn't go "all the way", producing a book with it will be limited, and dependent on external solutions.

        Danny Rosin.

        ב-02/05/2010, בשעה 07:51, raymond <raymond@...> כתב/ה:

        Would it be possible for you to copy and paste your book into NeoOffice, where an indexing tool exists.
        I have never utilized it.
        Raymond
        On 2 May 2010, at 03:14, Gideon Goldenberg wrote:

        Thanks for your help. I read the Mellel (interim 'hack') guide for creating an Index and I don't intend to try it (I wonder whether anyone did). If the preparation of the final product had not become urgent, I would rather wait until the real feature of "Creating an Index" is added to Mellel. About 12 years ago I made an excellent index by copying rtf files scanned from various sources into Nisus Writer, creating a copy of the whole book which did not represent correctly anything but was a skeleton of the real text and kept page numberg. On this skeleton I marked items that should enter the index, and since I knew my text I named the entries correctly. The index came out with one click well sorted and ready for editing with the right page numbers following each entry. It sounds crazy, but the preparation was far easier, smoother and faster than! the "hack" suggested in the Mellel guide would ever produce, and the result was impeccable. The text itself was made of photo copies and of files made with various old word processors. My present Mellel text cannot be read correctly by any other word processor, and for making an index by any indexing-capable processor will be easier than the present "hack", but when can we expect to enjoy the real Mellel index creator?
        Gideon.

        Waiting for a "formal" solution is still easier...
        Meanwhile, what I recently did, is getting all the index words to! a list (manual copy-paste to a different file), sorting the words using text-services, and submitting the list to the publisher, to apply it in their setting software. Manual work can't be avoided...

        Danny Rosin.

        On 01/05/2010, at 23:15, raymond wrote:

        Mellel provides a reply to this issue in the support page of the redlers site they give an explanations to how to create an Index
        http://www.redlers. com/supporttutor ials.html

        And I attach it here. I have never tried it, but I hope you will succeed and let us know if and how.

        Raymond

        On 1 May 2010, at 22:50, Gideon Goldenberg wrote:

        Do you know whether there is a chance that preparing an index in Mellel will be made possible? What should we do if we need an index for a book written in Mellel?
        Many thanks to any of you who can help.
        Gideon.

        <CreatinganIndex. pdf>