Table import-export

  • drosin@mac.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      What is the current status of tables regarding connectivity with the
      Word world? And what is planned in the near future?
      I wrote a paper that included a table, which eventually will be sent to
      the publisher as doc or at least rtf, and after playing for some time I
      couldn't find a way to smoothly export- and ended up writing the whole
      thing in Word. It's a pity.
      (I even thought of creating the table in Excel, and importing first to
      Mellel and eventually to the final doc version- but even here I failed)

      Danny Rosin
    • Gene van Troyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 06:21 PM, drosin@... wrote:

        > I wrote a paper that included a table, which eventually will be sent to
        > the publisher as doc or at least rtf, and after playing for some time I
        > couldn't find a way to smoothly export- and ended up writing the whole
        > thing in Word. It's a pity.
        > (I even thought of creating the table in Excel, and importing first to
        > Mellel and eventually to the final doc version- but even here I failed)

        Saving you document to PDF might be a better option.

        ========
        Gene van Troyer
        gevantry@...
        ========
      • drosin@mac.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
          > Saving you document to PDF might be a better option.

          Better- that depends on the publisher. Even though most papers will
          eventually end up as PDFs, the requirements for submission are usually
          for doc (or rtf). It is usually distributed to reviewers before
          publishing- and a Word format is more prevalent and familiar to most.
          What we need is compatibility- and this is not a new issue. It does get
          better, but specifics such as tables, graphics etc. are still behind.
          Danny Rosin.

          On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 02:36 PM, Gene van Troyer wrote:

          > On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 06:21 PM, drosin@... wrote:
          >
          >> I wrote a paper that included a table, which eventually will be sent
          >> the publisher as doc or at least rtf, and after playing for some time
          >> couldn't find a way to smoothly export- and ended up writing the whole
          >> thing in Word. It's a pity.
          >> (I even thought of creating the table in Excel, and importing first to
          >> Mellel and eventually to the final doc version- but even here I
          >> failed)
          >
          > Saving you document to PDF might be a better option.
          >
          > ========
          > Gene van Troyer
          > gevantry@...
          > ========

          > ---------------------~-->
          > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
          > Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson,
          > Lexmark & more.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/MqWylB/TM

        • RedleX Mail
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
            Danny,

            You can easily import a table from Excel and place it in a table in
            Mellel. The whole procedure is explained in detail in Mellel's guide.
            Look it up in the tutorial called: "From Spreadsheet to Table"

            Concerning exporting Mellel documents with tables, footnotes, etc. to
            RTF. The good news is that Mellel 1.6.5 (now in internal Alpha) will
            support importing such files, with export capability following not long
            afterwards.

            Ori

          • drosin@mac.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
              Thanks Ori,
              I was looking in the Help file and not in the Guide (shouldn't they be
              combined?). My mistake was to select the first cell and not the whole
              table.
              So I guess my plan to use Excel will work (in the next paper...), I
              hope by then 1.6.5.1 will be ready :-)

              Danny Rosin.