Re: Macinto lives on as Tiger, but italics lost importing from RTF

  • ameddo
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
      Courier New is a good font for editing Arabic text, but its Italic and Bold Italic versions just disappear when chosen. I installed a newer edition of the font, but it still has the same problem with the Mac 10.8. The font is both OT and TT. Anybody knows if there's a fix for this - I would be grateful for that...

      --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Behnam Rassi <behnamrassi@...> wrote:

      > There is also another possibility.
      > Once you import your file initially, it is opened with a font that
      > doesn't have italic. Then that information is lost and if you change
      > the font later to one containing italic is useless.
      > Make sure you initially open the file with a font containing italic.
      > Behnam
      >
      > On 13-May-07, at 2:23 PM, Bob McKenzie wrote:
      >
      > > All...
      > >

      > > Ran into another oddity with Mellel and Courier. Courier New has
      > > Italics but I can't get them to display as Italics in Mellel! I
      > > wonder what causes that?
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >
      > > On May 13, 2007, at 3:37 AM, Donald Broadribb wrote:
      > >
      > >> The Macintosh version of Courier does not include italics, only
      > >> Regular and Bold. The Listing
      > >> "oblique" is an error (actually, a bug) in Mellel. If you check in
      > >> your Fontbook and click on
      > >> Courier, you will see there is no italics version.
      > >>
      > >> Microsoft's Courier New does have italics, and bold italics, as
      > >> well. This font is one of the set
      > >> that comes with Microsoft Windows. Its Regular is not identical
      > >> with that of the Courier font
      > >> supplied with the Mac, but is a bit thinner; its Bold appears
      > >> identical with that of Apple's
      > >> Courier. You may have a friend who uses Windows and would be
      > >> willing to give you a copy
      > >> of Courier New. Windows fonts work fine on Mac OS X.
      > >>
      > >> Don Broadribb

    • e.e.p.
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20, 2013
        @ammedo:

        I was thinking, hey I have the copyright on my system's name being called "Macinto" . . . named after the famous Seminole Indian chief, but then I saw that I was the OP . . . returning again from the past, etc. I have no instant answer for you and perhaps what I found is posted in that thread. At that time I think I was working on a 3 year project that was written in Courier . . . with italics, lots of italics . . . and ranging through various OSX's and Mellel versions. It could be that I got the Courier font from Adobe Reader's fonts and installed them into OSX fonts . . . and then OSX and Mellel had no problem with italics. I think this is one of those issues where Apple and Mellel point the finger at each other. Possibly it was Don B. who gave me the tip to check that the font was "officially" installed in OSX Fonts, or check for corrupted Fonts in the OSX fonts folder . . . something like that. Or it might have been someone else, sorry, no time to check . . . . Hope that helps . . . .

        e.e.p.