Re: Transparent background

  • tedgoranson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2013
      Thanks, Janet. But it appears that the image I referenced is something of a hoax.

      The image gives the impression that the document page/window background can be made transparent as in common, for instance, in terminal apps. But what they have done is pasted images of the desktop in.
    • Manfred Kropp
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10 2:28 AM
        Hello,
        lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
        While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
        Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
        What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
        I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
        Then:
        Why does undo not work for any action?
        Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?

        Thanks for any help
        Manfred

      • MMayer
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 10 2:35 AM
          I'd like the answer to this, too.
          This happened to me a few years ago. I had a semester's worth of notes I was adding to, and then I looked down and there was one word and my original was gone.
          From then on, I saved each week's notes in a new file.

          Monique

          On 10 Apr 2013, at 10:28, Manfred Kropp wrote:

          Hello,
          lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
          While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
          Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
          <Mellel backup settings.tiff>
          What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
          I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
          Then:
          Why does undo not work for any action?
          Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?

          Thanks for any help
          Manfred
        • Richard C. Vervoorn
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 10 2:54 AM
            Hi Manfred,

            I don't know if this is a bug. My backup's work properly. The only difference in the setting is I use "System Standard (Lion or better) while you have "Save every 1 minute" of in German "Speichern alle 1 Minuten".
            But it should work in both settings. Maybe something with writing privileges?

            I have selected all in a document and typed one word and tried "undo". I had all the words of my original text back.
            So, in my version of Mellel (3.1.31b) I could restore the things you couldn't.
            Maybe you can try to install Mellel with a fresh downloaded version.

            I hope you will find a solution.
            Richard

            Op 10 apr. 2013, om 11:28 heeft Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> het volgende geschreven:

            > Hello,
            > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
            > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
            > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
            > <Mellel backup settings.tiff>
            > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
            > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
            > Then:
            > Why does undo not work for any action?
            > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
            >
            > Thanks for any help
            > Manfred

          • e.e.p.
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 10 10:51 AM
              Manfred:

              I'm willing to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the Mellel "backup" is a "temp" file, one that might last until you hit "save"??? I'm still in Sno Leopard, or Linux Mint . . . and in SL, the backups might last longer, but it does take RAM to do a back-up every minute--I think I have mine set to 30 mins, might be a bit long for paranoics . . . but SL is very stable, very stable.

              I'm a "belt AND suspenders" guy . . . when I'm working on a project I copy the day's work to a USB stick, or any time I'm logging out, any chance that something might "change" . . . and, then, at home do a CCC clone/back-up . . . to an ext HD, AND, when project is finished it goes to off-site ADrive storage . . . . Never enough back-ups . . . certainly can't depend upon an app to take care of everything, etc.

              e.e.p.

              --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
              > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
              > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
              >
              > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
              > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
              > Then:
              > Why does undo not work for any action?
              > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
              >
              > Thanks for any help
              > Manfred

            • Manfred Kropp
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 10 1:11 PM
                One first auto-diagnosis:

                After eliminating the old, very old backup of the file in the backup-folder of Mellel, during the next session Mellel created a new and actual backup file.
                Just an idea: the old backup file was in an old and obsolete format of Mellel. Could it be possible that the automatic backup routine in the newer version of the program was not able to replace format and file?
                Manfred

                Am 10.04.2013 um 19:51 schrieb e.e.p.:

                Manfred:

                I'm willing to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the Mellel "backup" is a "temp" file, one that might last until you hit "save"??? I'm still in Sno Leopard, or Linux Mint . . . and in SL, the backups might last longer, but it does take RAM to do a back-up every minute--I think I have mine set to 30 mins, might be a bit long for paranoics . . . but SL is very stable, very stable.

                I'm a "belt AND suspenders" guy . . . when I'm working on a project I copy the day's work to a USB stick, or any time I'm logging out, any chance that something might "change" . . . and, then, at home do a CCC clone/back-up . . . to an ext HD, AND, when project is finished it goes to off-site ADrive storage . . . . Never enough back-ups . . . certainly can't depend upon an app to take care of everything, etc.

                e.e.p.

                --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
                > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
                > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
                >
                > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
                > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
                > Then:
                > Why does undo not work for any action?
                > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
                >
                > Thanks for any help
                > Manfred

              • Dania Shapira
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 10 6:45 PM
                  Interestingly enough I have been having this problem lately with Word, that even if I don't save the document, and quit it to get back the original version, unfortunately I find out that I don't have the "old" version anymore. Therefore, many times I prefer to duplicate the first version, and make the changes on the second one. Luckily (avoid the evil eye!) I haven't experienced the same problem with Mellel- maybe, because I barely deal with the general settings. In case I need to change any settings, I do it for the specific page/document. Yet again, most of the time I don't have long documents in Hebrew, and for English I am using Word.

                  Good luck!

                  Dania

                  On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM, e.e.p. <este.el_paz@...> wrote:

                  Manfred:

                  I'm willing to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the Mellel "backup" is a "temp" file, one that might last until you hit "save"??? I'm still in Sno Leopard, or Linux Mint . . . and in SL, the backups might last longer, but it does take RAM to do a back-up every minute--I think I have mine set to 30 mins, might be a bit long for paranoics . . . but SL is very stable, very stable.

                  I'm a "belt AND suspenders" guy . . . when I'm working on a project I copy the day's work to a USB stick, or any time I'm logging out, any chance that something might "change" . . . and, then, at home do a CCC clone/back-up . . . to an ext HD, AND, when project is finished it goes to off-site ADrive storage . . . . Never enough back-ups . . . certainly can't depend upon an app to take care of everything, etc.

                  e.e.p.

                  --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
                  > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
                  > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
                  >
                  > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
                  > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
                  > Then:
                  > Why does undo not work for any action?
                  > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any help
                  > Manfred

                • Gideon Goldenberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11 2:05 AM
                    Dear Manfred and all Mellel users,
                    I had no problems with Mellel backups on the Snow Leopard. Also it happend to me that texts were deleted by mistake but reappeared by Undo. Anyway, whatever solution is found to the problem of Mellel backups, it is essential to have an external Time Machine backup disk to assure houry backups.
                    Gideon.

                    On 10 Apr 2013, at 11:11, Manfred Kropp wrote:

                    One first auto-diagnosis:

                    After eliminating the old, very old backup of the file in the backup-folder of Mellel, during the next session Mellel created a new and actual backup file.
                    Just an idea: the old backup file was in an old and obsolete format of Mellel. Could it be possible that the automatic backup routine in the newer version of the program was not able to replace format and file?
                    Manfred

                    Am 10.04.2013 um 19:51 schrieb e.e.p.:

                    Manfred:

                    I'm willing to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the Mellel "backup" is a "temp" file, one that might last until you hit "save"??? I'm still in Sno Leopard, or Linux Mint . . . and in SL, the backups might last longer, but it does take RAM to do a back-up every minute--I think I have mine set to 30 mins, might be a bit long for paranoics . . . but SL is very stable, very stable.

                    I'm a "belt AND suspenders" guy . . . when I'm working on a project I copy the day's work to a USB stick, or any time I'm logging out, any chance that something might "change" . . . and, then, at home do a CCC clone/back-up . . . to an ext HD, AND, when project is finished it goes to off-site ADrive storage . . . . Never enough back-ups . . . certainly can't depend upon an app to take care of everything, etc.

                    e.e.p.

                    --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
                    > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
                    > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
                    >
                    > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
                    > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
                    > Then:
                    > Why does undo not work for any action?
                    > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
                    >
                    > Thanks for any help
                    > Manfred

                    --------------------------------------
                    Prof. Gideon Goldenberg
                    48 Ben-Maimon Avenue
                    IL-92261 Jerusalem
                    Israel
                    Telephone: +972-2-5665135
                    Fax: +972-2-5634891
                    ---------------------------------------

                  • Manfred Kropp
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11 3:52 AM
                      Dear Gideon and dear others,
                      in fact, I always work with an external hard disk for time machine. This allowed me to retrace at least a version of four days ago.
                      One new phenomenon to these already described:
                      Even if undo was inactive and I see on the screen only one word left, the volume of the file remains the same as before: 4 MB (for one word)!
                      Could it be that the data are still there? And how cxan one recover them from this file?
                      Perhaps a stupid question, but the fact is there.
                      Thanks for any idea and help
                      Manfred

                      Am 11.04.2013 um 11:05 schrieb Gideon Goldenberg:

                      Dear Manfred and all Mellel users,
                      I had no problems with Mellel backups on the Snow Leopard. Also it happend to me that texts were deleted by mistake but reappeared by Undo. Anyway, whatever solution is found to the problem of Mellel backups, it is essential to have an external Time Machine backup disk to assure houry backups.
                      Gideon.

                      On 10 Apr 2013, at 11:11, Manfred Kropp wrote:

                      One first auto-diagnosis:

                      After eliminating the old, very old backup of the file in the backup-folder of Mellel, during the next session Mellel created a new and actual backup file.
                      Just an idea: the old backup file was in an old and obsolete format of Mellel. Could it be possible that the automatic backup routine in the newer version of the program was not able to replace format and file?
                      Manfred

                      Am 10.04.2013 um 19:51 schrieb e.e.p.:

                      Manfred:

                      I'm willing to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the Mellel "backup" is a "temp" file, one that might last until you hit "save"??? I'm still in Sno Leopard, or Linux Mint . . . and in SL, the backups might last longer, but it does take RAM to do a back-up every minute--I think I have mine set to 30 mins, might be a bit long for paranoics . . . but SL is very stable, very stable.

                      I'm a "belt AND suspenders" guy . . . when I'm working on a project I copy the day's work to a USB stick, or any time I'm logging out, any chance that something might "change" . . . and, then, at home do a CCC clone/back-up . . . to an ext HD, AND, when project is finished it goes to off-site ADrive storage . . . . Never enough back-ups . . . certainly can't depend upon an app to take care of everything, etc.

                      e.e.p.

                      --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kropp <kropp@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      > lost a file of 5 MB of bibliographical references.
                      > While working on that file I pressed by error "select all" and typed a word. The file was reduced to this one word. Undo was greyed, no chance to go back (but the file of one word still indicates the volume of 5 MB).
                      > Going to the backups of Mellel I discovered that the most recent backup was one year ago. In the settings I had given this:
                      >
                      > What went wrong? And are there temp files besides the backup where I could find the last version?
                      > I noticed already several times that the undo option does not work with certain actions. Is that a bug?
                      > Then:
                      > Why does undo not work for any action?
                      > Why was the backup file not renewed as given in the settings?
                      >
                      > Thanks for any help
                      > Manfred

                      --------------------------------------
                      Prof. Gideon Goldenberg
                      48 Ben-Maimon Avenue
                      IL-92261 Jerusalem
                      Israel
                      Telephone: +972-2-5665135
                      Fax: +972-2-5634891

                    • Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 11 6:05 PM
                        Close without saving

                        On Apr 11, 2013, at 3:52 AM, Manfred Kropp wrote:

                        Could it be that the data are still there? And how cxan one recover them from this file?

                        Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
                        Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest