Re: [redlex] Open a PDF file

  • Sorin Paliga
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 14, 2013
      Using MS Word is the most common thing in all the countries, I think. The additional problem is RTL indeed, but rtf or doc export should work as expected, mainly rtf

      On Feb 14, 2013, at 9:39 PM, raymond <raymond@...> wrote:

      I'll try to explain you the issue, which may not been known in the l2r writing countries.

      The majority of the operating systems and the majority of the writing methods in Israel is the Word on PC. Remember that we  are speaking about a country which needs to write in R2L directions, in Hebrew and in Arabic.
      The problem of the Mac users community here is that we have a wonderful tool, Mellel, but Mellel files are not opened by Word, not on Mac nor on PC. There exist solutions to overcome the difficulties which the situation causes.
      May be, that when the PC user would be able to open PDF files created by Mellel, the situation would be easier for us. I think the an ability of Mellel to open PDF files would make life easier in the situation I have described.

      On 14 Feb 2013, at 21:12, Sorin Paliga <sorin.paliga@...> wrote:

      A PDF is not intended to be edited, it is a picture of the document. YUou may adnotate or mark or highlight it, not edit in the full sense of the word.
      Pagesmith is the only app I know, which allows editings PDF files, but PDF is its default format.
      On Feb 14, 2013, at 9:08 PM, raymond <raymond@...> wrote:

      I agree with you, but I can't understand your way of working. You wish to create PDF file out of Mellel, which is obvious and easy in two way.
      But when you want to edit a pdf file which reached you, in one way or another, howe do you do it. I would appreciate your explanations.

      In your logic, and in the wish to render Mellel simple and allowing us to write only, as you wish, you would recommend to abolish the ability of Mellel to import RTF and Word files? I appreciate your comment here.

      On 14 Feb 2013, at 20:04, Nigel Atkinson <NigelA@...> wrote:

      I make a lot of PDFs from Mellel. If I need to make an edit, I change the Mellel file and recreate the PDF.

    • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 14, 2013
        I have to agree with everything that has been said thus far: opening a pdf file with Mellel would be a very, very poor solution to the problem raised.

        Since pdf is basically an image, all the formatting, paging, paragraphing, footnoting, etc., etc. would be lost.
        The best you could hope for would be totally "flat" text.

        Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Kiriat Ono, Israel

        ג'נט נוסבאום
        קרית אונו

[...]

      • Bruce Hamilton
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 14, 2013
          There are existing programs to convert PDF files to Word, rtf, and other formats. From there, Mellel can edit them. No need to turn it into a Swiss Army knife.

          -Bruce
        • Roger
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2013
            I love the fact that it launches and quits quickly (compared to, say, Word).

            On 14 Feb 2013, at 22:09, Bruce Hamilton wrote:

            There are existing programs to convert PDF files to Word, rtf, and other formats. From there, Mellel can edit them. No need to turn it into a Swiss Army knife.

            -Bruce

            With best wishes,
            Roger Shufflebottom
            +44 7973 543 660