Compare Mellel documents?

  • john27182818
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2013
      How do I compare two documents in Mellel to highlight the changes?

      In other words, I am looking for the 'compare documents' feature of MS Word in Mellel. Mellel's track changes feature only works (I think) if one turns it on before making changes, so it isn't what I need. And if I export Mellel to RTF so that I can use MS Word's compare documents feature, Word mangles some of the formatting.

      On a separate topic, I am still hoping that someone knows how to solve my Mellel table issues that I posted on Dec 24: how to keep all table rows on the same page automatically, and how to repeat a table header row automatically when a table is split between two pages.

      Thanks for your help!
      John
    • e.e.p.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
        John:

        Frankly I can't answer your question(s), but I'm posting here to let you know that the guy who could have, Don Broadrib, who wrote the Mellel Tutorial, is no longer with us; he's gone to that great writer's paradise in the sky . . . . It's hard to know why, possibly due to the strain of writing the tutorial for Mellel . . . ???? He was always a gentleman and would have tried to answer your question even though the answer could be found in the Tutorial that he worked so hard to write . . . . I would say that if you haven't tried to read it, the answer will be there if it can be done at all in Mellel . . . .

        Best wishes to all in this new year,

        e.e.p

        --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "john27182818" wrote:

        > How do I compare two documents in Mellel to highlight the changes?
        >
        > In other words, I am looking for the 'compare documents' feature of MS Word in Mellel. Mellel's track changes feature only works (I think) if one turns it on before making changes, so it isn't what I need. And if I export Mellel to RTF so that I can use MS Word's compare documents feature, Word mangles some of the formatting.
        >

        > On a separate topic, I am still hoping that someone knows how to solve my Mellel table issues that I posted on Dec 24: how to keep all table rows on the same page automatically, and how to repeat a table header row automatically when a table is split between two pages.
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        > John

      • john27182818
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
          I'm sorry about Don Broadrib. He did great work on the tutorial! I've worked my way through it and go back whenever I get stuck. The tutorial has been a huge help!

          With regard to my particular questions, I've searched through both the manual and the tutorial, and couldn't find answers there. So thank you for letting me know that if it isn't in either place, then Mellel can't do it yet. What is the best way to submit a feature request to the Mellel developers?

          John

          --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "e.e.p." wrote:

          > John:
          >
          > Frankly I can't answer your question(s), but I'm posting here to let you know that the guy who could have, Don Broadrib, who wrote the Mellel Tutorial, is no longer with us; he's gone to that great writer's paradise in the sky . . . . It's hard to know why, possibly due to the strain of writing the tutorial for Mellel . . . ???? He was always a gentleman and would have tried to answer your question even though the answer could be found in the Tutorial that he worked so hard to write . . . . I would say that if you haven't tried to read it, the answer will be there if it can be done at all in Mellel . . . .
          >
          > Best wishes to all in this new year,
          >
          > e.e.p
          >
          > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "john27182818" wrote:
          > >
          > > How do I compare two documents in Mellel to highlight the changes?
          > >
          > > In other words, I am looking for the 'compare documents' feature of MS Word in Mellel. Mellel's track changes feature only works (I think) if one turns it on before making changes, so it isn't what I need. And if I export Mellel to RTF so that I can use MS Word's compare documents feature, Word mangles some of the formatting.
          > >

          > > On a separate topic, I am still hoping that someone knows how to solve my Mellel table issues that I posted on Dec 24: how to keep all table rows on the same page automatically, and how to repeat a table header row automatically when a table is split between two pages.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help!
          > > John

        • e.e.p.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
            John:

            The main Mellel forum (thru their web site) has a forum for suggestions for new features . . . .

            e.e.p.

            --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "john27182818" wrote:

            > I'm sorry about Don Broadrib. He did great work on the tutorial! I've worked my way through it and go back whenever I get stuck. The tutorial has been a huge help!
            >
            > With regard to my particular questions, I've searched through both the manual and the tutorial, and couldn't find answers there. So thank you for letting me know that if it isn't in either place, then Mellel can't do it yet. What is the best way to submit a feature request to the Mellel developers?
            >
            > John
            >

            > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "e.e.p." wrote:
            > >
            > > John:
            > >
            > > Frankly I can't answer your question(s), but I'm posting here to let you know that the guy who could have, Don Broadrib, who wrote the Mellel Tutorial, is no longer with us; he's gone to that great writer's paradise in the sky . . . . It's hard to know why, possibly due to the strain of writing the tutorial for Mellel . . . ???? He was always a gentleman and would have tried to answer your question even though the answer could be found in the Tutorial that he worked so hard to write . . . . I would say that if you haven't tried to read it, the answer will be there if it can be done at all in Mellel . . . .
            > >
            > > Best wishes to all in this new year,
            > >
            > > e.e.p
            > >
            > > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "john27182818" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > How do I compare two documents in Mellel to highlight the changes?
            > > >
            > > > In other words, I am looking for the 'compare documents' feature of MS Word in Mellel. Mellel's track changes feature only works (I think) if one turns it on before making changes, so it isn't what I need. And if I export Mellel to RTF so that I can use MS Word's compare documents feature, Word mangles some of the formatting.
            > > >

            > > > On a separate topic, I am still hoping that someone knows how to solve my Mellel table issues that I posted on Dec 24: how to keep all table rows on the same page automatically, and how to repeat a table header row automatically when a table is split between two pages.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for your help!
            > > > John

          • john27182818
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
              Sorry to be obtuse -- I must be missing something obvious -- but how do I get a login for that forum?

              The login page for the forum does not seem to have a "register for this forum" link.

              When I click on the "resend activation email" link on the forum login page and tell it the user name and email address that I used to register my copy of Mellel when I bought it, it says, "The e-mail/username information submitted could not be found."

              Three times over the past year (Feb 1, Feb 14, and July 12) I've emailed redlex@... asking for a login to that board (telling them my Mellel registration #), but have never gotten any reply.

              John

              --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "e.e.p." wrote:

              > John:
              >
              > The main Mellel forum (thru their web site) has a forum for suggestions for new features . . . .
              >
              > e.e.p.
              >
              > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "john27182818" wrote:
              > >

              > > I'm sorry about Don Broadrib. He did great work on the tutorial! I've worked my way through it and go back whenever I get stuck. The tutorial has been a huge help!
              > >
              > > With regard to my particular questions, I've searched through both the manual and the tutorial, and couldn't find answers there. So thank you for letting me know that if it isn't in either place, then Mellel can't do it yet. What is the best way to submit a feature request to the Mellel developers?
              > >
              > > John
              > >

              > > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "e.e.p." wrote:
              > > >
              > > > John:
              > > >
              > > > Frankly I can't answer your question(s), but I'm posting here to let you know that the guy who could have, Don Broadrib, who wrote the Mellel Tutorial, is no longer with us; he's gone to that great writer's paradise in the sky . . . . It's hard to know why, possibly due to the strain of writing the tutorial for Mellel . . . ???? He was always a gentleman and would have tried to answer your question even though the answer could be found in the Tutorial that he worked so hard to write . . . . I would say that if you haven't tried to read it, the answer will be there if it can be done at all in Mellel . . . .
              > > >
              > > > Best wishes to all in this new year,
              > > >
              > > > e.e.p

            • Harvey S. Leff
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2013
                File comparison software for the Mac is listed at

                Some are free and some non-free. I do not have experience with any of them, but assume at least some of them will work with Mellel files. It's worth looking at.

                Harvey Leff
                Portland, Oregon   USA
              • e.e.p.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
                  John:

                  I can confirm your findings that there is no "register for this forum" link on the forum page . . . . It should be that the "resend" link is handled by a server, so it isn't personal . . . . I did click on the FAQ button and it says there, "you might not need to register to post" . . . so I tried to post a reply and got the "you need to log in window" . . . . I'm running my Debian system so I don't have all my passwords available . . . I gave up . . . . It does seem that the Redlers run hot and cold on support issues . . . . It's possible that the original email that got sent with your registration might contain an email link to click on to "confirm" something that would then let the server "find" you??????