Writing direction in Hebrew

  • raymond
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012

      Hello,

      The problem I am facing is as follows:

      I am writing in Hebrew, with full justification of text for both sizes.

      The Flash, in the menu bar of Mellel for writing direction, is turned towards the Right direction, as usual.

      Generally, the flow of text is from right to left, and the cursor supposes to run with the text in Hebrew, and if I click on the space key the cursor is moving on, one step forward, but, strangely, it doesn't move forward and this happens only when I add the next word.

      It is strange, and I can't figure out why. Need your assistance to fix this problem.

      It happens in regular Hebrew in the text menu as well as in Hebrew PC.

    • Danny ‏Rosin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
        Raymond,
        The situation you describe is not clear.
        By "flash" I suppose you mean arrow. So if it is towards the right than you are in a left-to-right direction. Or am I Misunderstanding you?

        Danny Rosin

        ב-1 באפר 2012, בשעה 18:10, raymond <raymond@...> כתב/ה:

        Hello,

        The problem I am facing is as follows:

        I am writing in Hebrew, with full justification of text for both sizes.

        The Flash, in the menu bar of Mellel for writing direction, is turned towards the Right direction, as usual.

        Generally, the flow of text is from right to left, and the cursor supposes to run with the text in Hebrew, and if I click on the space key the cursor is moving on, one step forward, but, strangely, it doesn't move forward and this happens only when I add the next word.

        It is strange, and I can't figure out why. Need your assistance to fix this problem.

        It happens in regular Hebrew in the text menu as well as in Hebrew PC.

      • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
          Raymond,

          This is correct behavior

          Think about it: you have asked Mellel to fully justify your text, that is to correct the spacing of the line so that it always begins flush with the right margin and ends flush with the left margin.

          To do this properly, Mellel must ignore trailing blanks [spaces to the left of the text]

          Janet S.S. Nussbaum
          Kiriat Ono, Israel

          ג'נט נוסבאום
          קרית אונו

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
            Danny and Janet,
            Sorry, I was mis-explaining myself.
            Yes, My Flash is the Arrow (my mind mixed the french and the english:-).
            You will see please, the attached screen picture, where the Arrow is indicating the R2L direction, but when I want to add  נקודה at the end of the sentence, which means at the left side of the written line, the point-period is added at the right side of the line. I suppose this is not the correct behaviour of Mellel.

            Hope I was able to explain better.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
              Yes, thank you, now I understand now.

              I can't duplicate your problem.

              My guess is that there is some conflict with the current paragraph or page definition.

              Can you make us a small sample -- just this one line will do -- so we can see the entire style set

              Janet S.S. Nussbaum
              Kiriat Ono, Israel

              ג'נט נוסבאום
              קרית אונו

              On Apr 1, 2012, at 6:51 PM, raymond wrote:

              Danny and Janet,
              Sorry, I was mis-explaining myself.
              Yes, My Flash is the Arrow (my mind mixed the french and the english:-).
              You will see please, the attached screen picture, where the Arrow is indicating the R2L direction, but when I want to add  נקודה at the end of the sentence, which means at the left side of the written line, the point-period is added at the right side of the line. I suppose this is not the correct behaviour of Mellel.

              Hope I was able to explain better.
              <Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 18.44.08.png>

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
                I suspect you are right.
                I have opened another Mellel file, and the writing there is normal as usual, so I think the file has had some difficulties which I couldn't locate.
                I am afraid that I have erased the problematic file, may be not very clever, since sending it to you could have helped me to avoid future similar problems, which I hope won't replicate themselves.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
                Raymond,
                Good this is fixed, but as Janet said it was certainly a conflict between directions of different components.
                You can have the document direction as RTL, but within it use LTR character direction. And if this character style is attached to a certain paragraph style- you will get the LTR behaviour by using this style despite the RTL arrow- this is actually a mechanism to enforce different directionality of a text segment within an opposite document. I suspect you used such a style.
                I easily reproduced your condition by defining a "LTR" character style and using it in a RTL document:
              • raymond
                Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
                  Dannyת

                  Thanks to your explanations and for the screen picture. You are right regarding what happened to me.
                  Thanks and חג שמח לכולם

                  On 1 Apr 2012, at 20:03, Danny Rosin wrote:

                  Raymond,
                  Good this is fixed, but as Janet said it was certainly a conflict between directions of different components.
                  You can have the document direction as RTL, but within it use LTR character direction. And if this character style is attached to a certain paragraph style- you will get the LTR behaviour by using this style despite the RTL arrow- this is actually a mechanism to enforce different directionality of a text segment within an opposite document. I suspect you used such a style.
                  I easily reproduced your condition by defining a "LTR" character style and using it in a RTL document:
                  <‏צילום מסך 2012‏.04‏.01 ב‏.19.52.37.PNG>
                  Danny

                  ‏בתאריך ה-1 באפר 2012, בשעה 19:19, raymond כתב/ה: