Columns or text boxes

  • ecnews
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
      I'm new to Mellel (i.e. trying it out) and trying to see if it will conveniently do what I need. I'd like to do a book which when opened will have several columns across the entire spread, say columns 1 and 2 on the left page of the spread and columns 3 and 4 on the right page of the spread. I'd like the text to flow such that column 1 text does not flow to the opposite (right) page, but rather to the leftmost column of the next spread. Is there a way to do this with Mellel either with columns or with linking text boxes or some other way? If not, maybe someone can recommend an app that would allow it (I know InDesign will, but that might be a bit of overkill for what I'm trying to do). The particular project won't require RTL languages, but others probably will, thus I'm looking at Mellel. Thank you.
    • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
        Unfortunately, text flow in columns is not currently available in Mellel -- it's near the top of just avout everyone's wish list.

        You can get the results you want using tables but with a very great deal of manual intervention, much more work than you'd like to do in a book-length document.

        Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Kiriat Ono, Israel

        ג'נט נוסבאום
        קרית אונו

        On 13 Jan2011, at 4:43 AM, ecnews wrote:

        > I'm new to Mellel (i.e. trying it out) and trying to see if it will conveniently do what I need. I'd like to do a book which when opened will have several columns across the entire spread, say columns 1 and 2 on the left page of the spread and columns 3 and 4 on the right page of the spread. I'd like the text to flow such that column 1 text does not flow to the opposite (right) page, but rather to the leftmost column of the next spread. Is there a way to do this with Mellel either with columns or with linking text boxes or some other way? If not, maybe someone can recommend an app that would allow it (I know InDesign will, but that might be a bit of overkill for what I'm trying to do). The particular project won't require RTL languages, but others probably will, thus I'm looking at Mellel. Thank you.

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
          Janet,
          Thank you for the quick response.

          It's sad that feature is not available. If I knew a bit of the roadmap for Mellel development, I might know whether it's worth it to wait. Seems to me that if it's at the top of "everyone's" wish list, it probably is at the top of the developers' to-do list. Any hints on that? :)

          Regards,
          Eric