Melle stopped working!

  • yaacovle
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hello all,
      New member here. I joined to find out why my registered version of Mellel 2.0.8 has stopped working. The program runs but will not open a new nor an existing document. I'm using OSX.5.8 on a Powerbook G4. Thanks!
    • e.e.p.
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 6, 2010
        Yaacovle:

        Details, my friend, more details are needed before anyone could offer advice . . . . Could be that in Preferences you have the "do nothing when mellel launches" box for the reason why nothing opens automatically . . . . Or did you "repair permissions" after installing Mellel? Good luck to you, maybe someone else can give insight into the problem . . . .

        e.e.p.

        --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "yaacovle" <yaacovle@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > New member here. I joined to find out why my registered version of Mellel 2.0.8 has stopped working. The program runs but will not open a new nor an existing document. I'm using OSX.5.8 on a Powerbook G4. Thanks!

      • Lefcoe Yaacov
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 6, 2010
          It's not just that nothing happens "automatically" when Mellel launches, nothing happens at all. I launch the program, it runs, the Mellel graphic appears, I click on it, it disappears. I go to the File menu and click "New", nothing happens. I click an existing Mellel doc, it as if opens, but is a blank grey screen. This is a serious problem, I have a ton of files that I can no longer access, psychological reports for example (I'm a psychologist). The program just stopped working. It is registered, when it launches it says: "Registered to Yaacov Lefcoe".

          Thanx!
          YL

          On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:02 PM, e.e.p. wrote:

          Yaacovle:

          Details, my friend, more details are needed before anyone could offer advice . . . . Could be that in Preferences you have the "do nothing when mellel launches" box for the reason why nothing opens automatically . . . . Or did you "repair permissions" after installing Mellel? Good luck to you, maybe someone else can give insight into the problem . . . .

          e.e.p.

          --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, "yaacovle" <yaacovle@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > New member here. I joined to find out why my registered version of Mellel 2.0.8 has stopped working. The program runs but will not open a new nor an existing document. I'm using OSX.5.8 on a Powerbook G4. Thanks!

        • Charly Avital
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 6, 2010
            Lefcoe Yaacov wrote the following on 8/6/10 11:13 AM:

            > It's not just that nothing happens "automatically" when Mellel launches,
            > nothing happens at all. I launch the program, it runs, the Mellel
            > graphic appears, I click on it, it disappears. I go to the File menu and
            > click "New", nothing happens. I click an existing Mellel doc, it as if
            > opens, but is a blank grey screen. This is a serious problem, I have a
            > ton of files that I can no longer access, psychological reports for
            > example (I'm a psychologist). The program just stopped working. It is
            > registered, when it launches it says: "Registered to Yaacov Lefcoe".
            >
            > Thanx!
            > YL

            Yaacov,

            have you tried to replace your existing copy of Mellel 2.0.8 with a
            "fresh" install?

            If you want to try that, please go to:
            <http://www.redlers.com/news.html>, scroll down to:
            'Mellel 2.0.8 is here', click the 'Download' link and follow the prompts.

            I would advise not to replace your existing application 2.0.8 with the
            new downloaded one, but to trash it, and only then install the "fresh" one.

            Before you launch the fresh copy:

            Mellel usually has two Preferences files to be found at
            /Library/Preferences/ that start with the file name
            com.redlex.
            If I remember correctly one of them contains your registration information.
            Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it is.

            Something might have gone corrupted in one of the preference lists of
            Mellel, but apparently not the one that contains your registration
            information.

            When you trash *both* preferences lists (.plist), and then launch your
            "freshly" installed copy, you will get a warning that it is
            unregistered, so you should be ready with your registration code and
            enter it.

            Other than that, the current version of Mellel is 2.7.3, but I don't
            know if your existing license (version 2.0.8) covers it.

            I recommend that you do *not* empty the Trash, before you try all the
            above, because you might need those trashed preferences files.

            Maybe I'm just wasting your time, but for the time being, I have tried
            my best shot :-)

            Charly
          • Sorin Paliga
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 6, 2010
              This seems an isolated, perhaps unique bug. I understand Mellel is the only app on your computer, which behavs like this. Try the following:
              - go to System Preferences/Users and create a new user
              - logout and log into the new user account
              - lauch Mellel there; does it work? it should

              If yes, confirm and will tell you what to do; if not, hm, must be something more difficult
              On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Lefcoe Yaacov wrote:

              It's not just that nothing happens "automatically" when Mellel launches, nothing happens at all. I launch the program, it runs, the Mellel graphic appears, I click on it, it disappears. I go to the File menu and click "New", nothing happens. I click an existing Mellel doc, it as if opens, but is a blank grey screen. This is a serious problem, I have a ton of files that I can no longer access, psychological reports for example (I'm a psychologist) . The program just stopped working. It is registered, when it launches it says: "Registered to Yaacov Lefcoe".

              Thanx!
              YL

              On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:02 PM, e.e.p. wrote:

              Yaacovle:

              Details, my friend, more details are needed before anyone could offer advice . . . . Could be that in Preferences you have the "do nothing when mellel launches" box for the reason why nothing opens automatically . . . . Or did you "repair permissions" after installing Mellel? Good luck to you, maybe someone else can give insight into the problem . . . .

              e.e.p.

              --- In redlex@yahoogroups. com, "yaacovle" <yaacovle@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              > New member here. I joined to find out why my registered version of Mellel 2.0.8 has stopped working. The program runs but will not open a new nor an existing document. I'm using OSX.5.8 on a Powerbook G4. Thanks!

            • RedleX Mail
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
                You should move to version 2.6.3 or later - earlier versions do not run well on Snow Leopard... Could that be the problem?

                Regards,

                Ori Redler

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
                  RedleX Mail wrote the following on 8/7/10 3:33 PM:

                  > You should move to version 2.6.3 or later - earlier versions do not run
                  > well on Snow Leopard... Could that be the problem?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Ori Redler

                  Ori,

                  yaacovle wrote "I'm using OSX.5.8". That would place him at Leopard
                  without the Snow, I believe. I'm not sure whether 2.0.8 is good for that
                  either.

                  A couple of days ago I posted (or tried to post) a suggestion to make a
                  "fresh" install of Mellel 2.0.8, and to trash Mellel's .plists (with a
                  warning about one of those two .plists containing license info). I also
                  added that the current version of Mellel is 2.7.3, but that I didn't
                  know whether yaacovle's license was good for that release.

                  Apparently the post never made it to the list, I don't know why (it was
                  not returned by the list's server).

                  Other than that, have a nice week.
                  Charly

                  > On 04/08/2010, at 21:28, yaacovle wrote:
                  >

                  >> Hello all,
                  >> New member here. I joined to find out why my registered version of
                  >> Mellel 2.0.8 has stopped working. The program runs but will not open a
                  >> new nor an existing document. I'm using OSX.5.8 on a Powerbook G4. Thanks!
                • raymond
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
                    Your mail has reached the list.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
                      Sorin,
                      Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay.

                      So I made a new user acct, launched Mellel, and it ran as "unregistered" (whereas in my user acct it runs as registered to me), and I chose the option of demo mode (as I don't know where my regist # is). The program would not open a new nor an existing Mellel document.

                      Yaacov

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
                          Hi. Thanks for this Charly.

                          I can't find any redlex prefs files. I believe that I originally
                          installed Mellel on my old iMac DV, no longer functioning. So this
                          must be a transferred over copy... does this explain the problem? But
                          how can the program be running saying "This copy is registered to
                          Yaacov Lefcoe" if there is no plist file?

                          Yaacov

                        • raymond
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                            Hello,

                            I am looking to find a software, which would not be too expensive, to built up websites, and that it would support R2L.
                            It may be that on the list there exist some members who are experienced.

                            TIA
                          • Eugene Maximoff
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                              Raymond, SeaMonkey by Mozilla is an okay html editor and it's free. If your project is not too complex, SM is good enough.
                              Eugene

                              I am looking to find a software, which would not be too expensive, to built up websites, and that it would support R2L.
                              It may be that on the list there exist some members who are experienced.

                              TIA

                            • Martha Lev-Zion
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                                Seamonkey's requirements are for Windows.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                                  Thanks Eugen,

                                  I have download the software and am going to try it.
                                  And I have got the Mac version.

                                  Raymond
                                  On 15 août 2010, at 09:20, Eugene Maximoff wrote:

                                  Raymond, SeaMonkey by Mozilla is an okay html editor and it's free. If your project is not too complex, SM is good enough.
                                  Eugene

                                  I am looking to find a software, which would not be too expensive, to built up websites, and that it would support R2L.
                                  It may be that on the list there exist some members who are experienced.

                                  TIA

                                • Irani
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                                    Hi Raymond

                                    Freeway pro (not express) support RTL.

                                    Hope that this help

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 15, 2010
                                      Thank you Irani,
                                      The price is the down part of the software. It is too pricy to me and to my needs.
                                      The solution given by Eugene may give me the solution. I have to check again the issue of R2L with SeaMonkey.
                                      Raymond