Re: [redlex] diacritics / nikud

  • rutie adler
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi Janet,

      Apple's Ggenius bar needs your help.  Could you please send me the technical instructions, which I will take to Apple? Thanks, Rutie

      On Feb 26, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Janet S.S. Nussbaum wrote:

      Partial solution to the NIKUD issue:

      In the bad old days, the order in which you typed NIKUD [DAGESH followed by HIRIK or HIRIK followed by DAGESH] affected how the text appeared.
      Today, with Opentype fonts, the order should make no difference.

      The example I used to test the fonts was input sometimes one way and sometimes the other.  I've "corrected" it so that all the DAGESHIM come first.  Below are the results.

      Note: New Peninim does indeed look better.  OSX 10.6 is not at fault.
      BUT
      The positions of HIRIK and SHEVAH are bad for all non-Opentype examples.

      Do I have to say it again: please, please, please do not use Apple's fonts with NIKUD for educational purposes.

      <Screen shot 2010-02-26 at 2.29.53 PM.png>

      About keyboard mapping:

      Apple has indeed changed the Hebrew keyboard mapping for OS 10.6

      Rutie, your solution is to get a copy of the OS 10.5 Hebrew keyboard mapping and place it in your 10.6 system.

      I can send you the technical instructions, if you want, but my guess is that you'd rather have some one else do this for you.  I don't know if the campus tech support provides this service, but I'm sure you can get it done at the Genius bar in an Apple Store.

      About NIKUD positioning under OS 10.6:

      I'm still tracking this down.  I suspect we will discover that Apple has made some changes in their support of non-Opentype fonts.

      Rutie, Simi, and Avi, my opinion still holds: "adequate" NIKUD positioning is not good enough, especially in a teaching situation.  Download one of the free Opentype Hebrew fonts [SBL Hebrew, Ezra SIL SR, Cardo, etc.] and you'll soon find that you won't be able look at the old True Type solutions!
      In the end, you'll probably end up doing what I did — purchasing several commercial Opentype Hebrew fonts.  Masterfont has a very nice selection.  And, this year for my birthday, I treated myself to a set of fonts from fontbit (I little pricy, but very nice).

      Janet S.S. Nussbaum
      Kiriat Ono, Israel

      ג'נט נוסבאום
      קרית אונו

      Rutie Adler
      Coordinator Hebrew Language Program
      NES Department
      250 Barrows Hall
      UC Berkeley
      Berkeley, CA 94720-1940

    • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
        Ruthie, naturally the Mellel on-line forum is down today and that's where the technical info is stored.

        But, the Apple Genius [if he/she is a genius] shouldn't have much problem.

         — he has to get a copy of the 10.5 Hebrew keyboard mapping
         — he has to replace the 10.6 mapping with the 10.5 one

        What I don't remember by heart is where in the system the keyboard mappings are stored.  I think it's something like

        /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources

        Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Kiriat Ono, Israel

        ג'נט נוסבאום
        קרית אונו

        On 3 Mar, 2010, at 12:44 AM, rutie adler wrote:

        Hi Janet,

        Apple's Ggenius bar needs your help.  Could you please send me the technical instructions, which I will take to Apple? Thanks, Rutie

      • Thomas H. Gewecke