disappearing footnotes

  • dutchspitfire@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I've written a five-page document in Mellel with several footnotes. Now, when I export this document to rtf or doc the footnotes disappear altogether. The only solution I've found is exporting the file to pdf but since I want to give others the opportunity to edit the file this is no real solution.

      How I can I make the footnotes appear in either an rtf or a doc file? I have the feeling that there must be an easy answer to my question but I can't find it myself.

      TIA,

      Ronald

    • RedleX Mail
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 9, 2010
        Dear Ronald,

        To start: Never use TextEdit or Pages to test a document in RTF format or Word format exported from Mellel: they "kill" the footnotes.
        Second: When exporting, remember that your text can only contain two streams of footnotes (one footnotes, one endnotes) -- other applications simply cannot display more than footnotes and endnotes.

        Ori Redler

        On 05/01/2010, at 12:32, dutchspitfire@... wrote:

        I understand that Open Office and NeoOffice are not Microsoft products. But if I export an rtf or doc file from Mellel, how can I be sure that the footnotes are exported correctly if they don't show up in my viewer/editor (Pages)?

        Ronald

        From: dutchspitfire@ yahoo.co. uk <dutchspitfire@ yahoo.co. uk>
        To: redlex@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, 5 January, 2010, 10:03

        I'm using Pages to view and edit rtf and doc files.

        Ronald

        From: Sorin Paliga <sorin.paliga@gmail.com>
        To: redlex@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, 4 January, 2010, 20:50

        I assume they vanish when only exporting as doc. Do they vanish when exporting as rtf? Are you sure?