Text layout

  • raymond
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
      Hello,

      I was asked by a colleague the following question:
      Is it possible to edit in Mellel a text which is Hebrew and it translation is in English.
      The layout should goes in a way the part of each p[age contains in the upper part the hebrew text and below is the English text. Each page should contain the same text in both languages.

      Is it possible and how?

      TIA

      I forgot to mention that it should be prepared to a book of several pages, and his enquiry was weather he should go an Indesign solution
    • raymond
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hello,

        I was asked by a colleague the following question:
        Is it possible to edit in Mellel a text which is Hebrew and it translation is in English.
        The layout should goes in a way the part of each p[age contains in the upper part the hebrew text and below is the English text. Each page should contain the same text in both languages.

        Is it possible and how?

        TIA
      • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
          Of course, it's possible and quite easy . . . you just do it . . . Hebrew paragraph followed by an English paragraph followed by a Hebrew paragraph, and so on.

          I suspect your colleague has some additional problems he hasn't voiced. Maybe he's thinking about automatic translation or some such.

          Janet S.S. Nussbaum
          Kiriat Ono, Israel

          ג'נט נוסבאום
          קרית אונו

          On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:17 PM, raymond wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I was asked by a colleague the following question:
          > Is it possible to edit in Mellel a text which is Hebrew and it translation is in English.
          > The layout should goes in a way the part of each p[age contains in the upper part the hebrew text and below is the English text. Each page should contain the same text in both languages.
          >
          > Is it possible and how?
          >
          > TIA

        • raymond
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
            No, my colleague works on Nisus and he suspects he should utilize for the layout of the book a DTP software. My question: Is Mellel sufficient.

            And the texts are already in both languages.

            On 3 Dec 2009, at 12:23, Janet S.S. Nussbaum wrote:

            > Of course, it's possible and quite easy . . . you just do it . . . Hebrew paragraph followed by an English paragraph followed by a Hebrew paragraph, and so on.
            >
            > I suspect your colleague has some additional problems he hasn't voiced. Maybe he's thinking about automatic translation or some such.
            >
            > Janet S.S. Nussbaum
            > Kiriat Ono, Israel
            >
            > ג'נט נוסבאום
            > קרית אונו
            >

            > On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:17 PM, raymond wrote:
            >
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> I was asked by a colleague the following question:
            >> Is it possible to edit in Mellel a text which is Hebrew and it translation is in English.
            >> The layout should goes in a way the part of each p[age contains in the upper part the hebrew text and below is the English text. Each page should contain the same text in both languages.
            >>
            >> Is it possible and how?
            >>
            >> TIA

          • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
              Of course Mellel is sufficient — and Nisus probably is too — we all do these things all the time.

              He obviously wants more than simple Hebrew paragraph/English paragraph. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.

              Janet S.S. Nussbaum
              Kiriat Ono, Israel

              ג'נט נוסבאום
              קרית אונו

              On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:29 PM, raymond wrote:

              > No, my colleague works on Nisus and he suspects he should utilize for the layout of the book a DTP software. My question: Is Mellel sufficient.
              >
              > And the texts are already in both languages.
              >
              > On 3 Dec 2009, at 12:23, Janet S.S. Nussbaum wrote:
              >
              >> Of course, it's possible and quite easy . . . you just do it . . . Hebrew paragraph followed by an English paragraph followed by a Hebrew paragraph, and so on.
              >>
              >> I suspect your colleague has some additional problems he hasn't voiced. Maybe he's thinking about automatic translation or some such.
              >>
              >> Janet S.S. Nussbaum
              >> Kiriat Ono, Israel
              >>
              >> ג'נט נוסבאום
              >> קרית אונו
              >>

              >> On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:17 PM, raymond wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hello,
              >>>
              >>> I was asked by a colleague the following question:
              >>> Is it possible to edit in Mellel a text which is Hebrew and it translation is in English.
              >>> The layout should goes in a way the part of each p[age contains in the upper part the hebrew text and below is the English text. Each page should contain the same text in both languages.
              >>>
              >>> Is it possible and how?
              >>>
              >>> TIA

            • Johannes Hoffmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                I guess he wants two text flows, one for each language, one at the upper half and one at the lower half. The tricky part is, to sync the two flows (languages are very different in length). This is a lot of manual work either by adjusting the page breaks/text frames (to be redone each time after changes that go beyond minor mistakes) or by inserting some kind of anchors.
                A compromise that should work quite easy would be to use footnotes for that (and hide the symbols). In this scenario each Hebrew paragraph gets a footnote with the English translation. If the paragraphs are not to long each program capable of footnotes should work. But I think Mellel's sophisticated note tools make it the best choice for that approach.

                Johannes

                > Of course Mellel is sufficient — and Nisus probably is too — we all do these things all the time.
                >
                > He obviously wants more than simple Hebrew paragraph/English paragraph. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.
                >
                > Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                > Kiriat Ono, Israel
                >
                > ג'נט נוסבאום
                > קרית אונו
                >

                > On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:29 PM, raymond wrote:
                >
                >> No, my colleague works on Nisus and he suspects he should utilize for the layout of the book a DTP software. My question: Is Mellel sufficient.
                >>
                >> And the texts are already in both languages.
                >>
                >> On 3 Dec 2009, at 12:23, Janet S.S. Nussbaum wrote:
                >>
                >>> Of course, it's possible and quite easy . . . you just do it . . . Hebrew paragraph followed by an English paragraph followed by a Hebrew paragraph, and so on.
                >>>
                >>> I suspect your colleague has some additional problems he hasn't voiced. Maybe he's thinking about automatic translation or some such.
                >>>
                >>> Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                >>> Kiriat Ono, Israel
                >>>
                >>> ג'נט נוסבאום
                >>> קרית אונו

              • Sorin Paliga
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Hi to all

                  I had such an experience a year ago or so, when a colleague asked me to typeset her book with parallel text Serbian and Romanian. As far as I am ware of, this is not possible in any word processor I know (Mellel, Nisus, Pages, Word....), so I switched to iCalamus, which I find quite sophisticated and sufficient for this purpose. After a brief instruction from its creator, I did the job very well.
                  The problem with all the word processors I know is that they do not seem to include an option for bi-lingual parallel text (language A on the left even side, lang. B on the right odd side, or vice-versa), and—say— number every second page on the right as opposed to the left (odd-even numbering). The great major impediment of iCalamus is that it loses footnotes upon importing the text, which I find absolutely unacceptable.
                  The issue of very unequal length of Hebrew v. English text may be quite easily solved by choosing an appropriate font size and line spacing, and is not the clue point here.
                  The elegant alternative, as I see it, is to use, say, Roman numbering on one side, and Arabic numbering on the other, which may be an interim solution for such cases.
                  On 03.12.2009, at 13:04, Johannes Hoffmann wrote:

                  > I guess he wants two text flows, one for each language, one at the upper half and one at the lower half. The tricky part is, to sync the two flows (languages are very different in length). This is a lot of manual work either by adjusting the page breaks/text frames (to be redone each time after changes that go beyond minor mistakes) or by inserting some kind of anchors.
                  > A compromise that should work quite easy would be to use footnotes for that (and hide the symbols). In this scenario each Hebrew paragraph gets a footnote with the English translation. If the paragraphs are not to long each program capable of footnotes should work. But I think Mellel's sophisticated note tools make it the best choice for that approach.
                  >
                  > Johannes
                  >

                  >> Of course Mellel is sufficient — and Nisus probably is too — we all do these things all the time.
                  >>
                  >> He obviously wants more than simple Hebrew paragraph/English paragraph. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.
                  >>
                  >> Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                  >> Kiriat Ono, Israel
                  >>
                  >> ג'נט נוסבאום
                  >> קרית אונו
                  >>

                  >> On 3 Dec, 2009, at 12:29 PM, raymond wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> No, my colleague works on Nisus and he suspects he should utilize for the layout of the book a DTP software. My question: Is Mellel sufficient.
                  >>>
                  >>> And the texts are already in both languages.

                • Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Johannes, that would work, but since we're talking about a straightforward translation, I think a simpler solution is called for.

                    The ratio of Hebrew text to it's English translation if about 2:3. If you select character sizes and paragraph parameters (spacing, etc.) with that in mind and if you set the "next paragraph style" of the Hebrew paragraph to be the English paragraph (and vice verse), the job should be quite easy.

                    Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                    Kiriat Ono, Israel

                    ג'נט נוסבאום
                    קרית אונו