Dividing a table

  • Gideon Goldenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12 4:50 PM
      I have somehow got two subsequent tables stuck together to become one;
      how can I separate them now?
      Many thanks in advance,
      Gideon.
    • Dye Roger
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12 6:35 PM
        Gideon,

        I suspect the two tables only "stuck" together because there is not a return between them (a blank paragraph).

        1. In Preferences > General > Show Options > Invisible Characters, make sure you check "paragraph breaks" so you can see where the break is between the tables. You may have to Quit and Restart Mellel for this to take effect.

        2. If you see a paragraph break to right of the the first table, all you have to do is click on it, or between it and the table, to put your cursor there (you will probably not be able to see the cursor, especially if the the table touches the right margin of the page) and then hit Return. That will put a blank line between your two tables.

        3. You can also confirm that the two tables are not really joined, but only adjacent by clicking anywhere in a table and dragging to select the whole table. Only one of the table will be selected, as Mellel does not select cells across multiple tables.

        I Hope you are able to separate your tables!

        Let us know if this works,
        Roger
        Concon, Chile

        On Apr 12, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Gideon Goldenberg wrote:

        I have somehow got two subsequent tables stuck together to become one;
        how can I separate them now?
        Many thanks in advance,
        Gideon.

      • Danny Rosin

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12 11:50 PM
            Thank you both, Roger and Danny,
            I have done it by copying the double table, deleting the second half
            from the first copy and the first half from the second copy, but I
            would expect some relevant explanation to be included in the Mellel
            Guide.
            Thanks again,
            Gideon.

            On 13 Apr 2009, at 6:56, Danny Rosin wrote:
            > Place the cursor outside the first one and press return?
            > Danny Rosin.
            > On Apr 13, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Gideon Goldenberg wrote:
            >> I have somehow got two subsequent tables stuck together to become
            >> one;
            >> how can I separate them now?
            >> Many thanks in advance,
            >> Gideon.
          • Dye Roger
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13 4:54 AM
              Danny, like this:
              To get this:
              Roger

              On Apr 12, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Danny Rosin wrote:

              Place the cursor outside the first one and press return?

              Danny Rosin.
            • raymond
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13 7:16 AM
                Let me get in.
                I am trying your proposal but, how do I get the cursor to the desired place when the table is wide to both sides of the margin?
                regards
                Raymond

                On 13/04/2009, at 14:54, Dye Roger wrote:

                Danny, like this:
                <Untitled.png>
                To get this:
                <Untitled.png>
                Roger

                On Apr 12, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Danny Rosin wrote:

                Place the cursor outside the first one and press return?

                Danny Rosin.

              • Janet Nussbaum
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13 7:36 AM
                  Yes, that sometimes takes a delicate hand.

                  Two solutions:
                  1.  try to place your cursor over the tiny blue paragraph symbol to the right of the table and then click carriage return.
                  or
                  2.  place the cursor on the far right margin of the table (you will see a left-right arrow symbol), move the margin left.  Now you have plenty of space to position the cursor and create an empty paragraph.  Once the two tables are separated, reposition the right margin back to maximum.

                  Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                  Kiriat Ono, Israel

                  ג'נט נוסבאום
                  קרית אונו

                  On 13 Apr, 2009, at 5:16 PM, raymond wrote:

                  Let me get in.
                  I am trying your proposal but, how do I get the cursor to the desired place when the table is wide to both sides of the margin?
                  regards
                  Raymond

                  On 13/04/2009, at 14:54, Dye Roger wrote:

                  Danny, like this:
                  <Untitled.png>
                  To get this:
                  <Untitled.png>
                  Roger

                  On Apr 12, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Danny Rosin wrote:

                  Place the cursor outside the first one and press return?

                  Danny Rosin.
                  <Picture 1.png>

                • raymond
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 13 8:43 AM
                    I have placed the cursor on the top right margin of the table after moving it as you proposed.
                    But , I can't place it in the middle of the way down. It is -laced either above, or below, and not in the middle of the way, where I want to split the table.
                    See the attached picture.

                     מועדים לשמחה
                    Raymond

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 13 9:07 AM
                      Raymond, you problem is entirely different from the one originally discussed.

                      The original problem was how to split apart two tables that placed one immediately after another.

                      Your (new) problem is how to divide a single table into two.

                      There are two solutions:
                      1.  copy the entire table into a second table of the same size.  Then delete the bottom rows from the first table and the top rows from the second.
                      or
                      2.  split your table in half logically (not physically): highlight the last row to the top section and click on "split horizontally" in the table palette [third button from the left].  Now you have an empty divider between the two halves.  You can use the Attributes/Line Type functions to blank out the borders of this dividing row.  Your single physical table will now look to the reader as if it were two logical tables.

                      Janet S.S. Nussbaum
                      Kiriat Ono, Israel

                      â'ðè ðåñáàåí
                      ÷øéú àåðå

                      On 13 Apr, 2009, at 6:43 PM, raymond wrote:

                      I have placed the cursor on the top right margin of the table after moving it as you proposed.
                      But , I can't place it in the middle of the way down. It is -laced either above, or below, and not in the middle of the way, where I want to split the table.
                      See the attached picture.

                       îåòãéí ìùîçä