Windows counterpart of Mellel?

  • Wolfgang Keller
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
      Hello,

      NO I Am NOT asking for a port of Mellel to this @#&%$§!
      hourglass-display-system.

      I would just like to know whether anyone on this list knows any "text
      processing" application for *sigh* Windows that delivers output quality
      similar to Mellel. E.g. that uses OpenType font features etc.

      Abiword, OO Writer etc. DON'T even remotely come close.

      TIA,

      Sincerely,

      Wolfgang
    • Sorin Paliga
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
        AFAIK, Classical Text Editor by Stefan Hagel:

        On Jan 6, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

        Hello,

        NO I Am NOT asking for a port of Mellel to this @#&%$§!
        hourglass-display- system.

        I would just like to know whether anyone on this list knows any "text
        processing" application for *sigh* Windows that delivers output quality
        similar to Mellel. E.g. that uses OpenType font features etc.

        Abiword, OO Writer etc. DON'T even remotely come close.

        TIA,

        Sincerely,

        Wolfgang

        Sorin Paliga
        University of Bucharest
        Department of Slavic Languages
        Str. Pitar Moș 7–13, et. 1
        010451 Bucharest
        Romania

      • Rick Mansfield
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
          For academic writing on Windows check out Nota Bene -- www.notabene.com -- but I
          don't know how well it handles OpenType.

        • kveldalf@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
            Wolfgang,

            When you say produces out put quality similar to Mellel, would not MS Word suffice? As an example, I export my Mellel work to MS Word format and only have to make changes in Word to fonts for non-Latin writing systems (in my case Ugaritic and Akkadian).  Let me know if we've misunderstood your request.

            Best

          • danshap@bu.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
              For Hebrew that's fine when you just transfer within MACs. If you want
              to bring it to a PC, you would rather export it as .rtf, and then open
              it in Word on the PC, and make the very few changes (e.g., hyphenated
              dates).

              Dania Shapira

              Quoting kveldalf@...:

              > Wolfgang,
              >
              > When you say produces out put quality similar to Mellel, would not MS
              > Word suffice? As an example, I export my Mellel work to MS Word format
              > and only have to make changes in Word to fonts for non-Latin writing
              > systems (in my case Ugaritic and Akkadian). Let me know if we've
              > misunderstood your request.
              >
              > Best
              >

              > On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:59 , Rick Mansfield wrote:
              >
              > For academic writing on Windows check out Nota Bene --
              > www.notabene.com -- but I
              > don't know how well it handles OpenType.
              >
              > --- In redlex@yahoogroups.com, Wolfgang Keller <feliphil@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > NO I Am NOT asking for a port of Mellel to this @#&%$§!
              > > hourglass-display-system.
              > >
              > > I would just like to know whether anyone on this list knows any "text
              > > processing" application for *sigh* Windows that delivers output
              > quality
              > > similar to Mellel. E.g. that uses OpenType font features etc.
              > >
              > > Abiword, OO Writer etc. DON'T even remotely come close.
              > >
              > > TIA,
              > >
              > > Sincerely,
              > >
              > > Wolfgang

            • MARCELLINO PIO RUSCA
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
                Il giorno 06/gen/09, alle ore 22:17, kveldalf@... ha scritto:

                > Wolfgang,
                >
                > When you say produces out put quality similar to Mellel, would not
                > MS Word suffice? As an example, I export my Mellel work to MS Word
                > format and only have to make changes in Word to fonts for non-Latin
                > writing systems (in my case Ugaritic and Akkadian). Let me know if
                > we've misunderstood your request.
                >
                > Best

                Dear Sirs,
                at my opinion nothing is "similar to Mellel".
                I'm using Mellel from more than ten years, writing in hebraic, arab
                and greek, sometimes in the same paragraph, in the same line.
                Mellel was improved with the successive releases, but it was a must
                from the beginning.
                Windows-Users You can go to Davka Software for Davka Writer, now at
                the 6th release.
                For hebraic word-processing is a serious application, producing very
                fine end products.
                It's far some light-years from Mellel, cause also the lack of the OS-X
                base, but for a Windows-based product is at the top (my rabbi use that
                software and he's fully satisfied).
                Best regards
                Marcellino Pio Rusca
              • Wolfgang Keller
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
                  > When you say produces out put quality similar to Mellel, would not
                  > MS Word suffice?

                  Definitely not. Ms Word (just like its braindead FOSS clone OpenOffice)
                  produces totally unreadable junk, in _any_ language (my native language
                  is *duck* german). Just like, unfortunately, Abiword, Scribus etc...

                  Please note that this is not meant as a flame towards you, it's a flame
                  towards MS.

                  In fact I consider LyX/LaTeX (or, more precisely, XeTeX) as THE
                  reference for typographic quality of output, even though I'm not a
                  trained typographer (engineer, in fact), but it's somewhat clumsy
                  to use for certain applications (e.g. things where you would have to
                  program your own style first).

                  BTW: Did the Mellel developers by chance take a bit of inspiration from
                  LaTeX concerning layout algorithms?

                  Sincerely,

                  Wolfgang Keller