Hebrew Unicode Importing Question

  • Alan Ludwig
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2007
      Greetings!

      I have a question about importing Hebrew into Mellel, or, more
      accurately, cutting and pasting Hebrew text. Using the Bible software
      Accordance, I cut Hebrew text and paste it into Mellel, with the
      preference in Accordance set to Unicode text.

      When I paste text, the vowel points, etc. don't line up correctly
      unless the "Ligature" option is checked in Mellel Character Styles.
      Generally it is no problem to select this option, but this seems a
      strange thing to require for Hebrew fonts.

      The Hebrew Unicode fonts I am using are those from Linguist Software.
      For some reason, Lucida Grande shows up correctly, with or without
      the "Ligature" option checked.

      Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance.

      Alan Ludwig
    • raymond
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2007
        I am not completely sure about, but you should try an OpenType font.
        Raymond
        On 05/12/2007, at 05:55, Alan Ludwig wrote:

        Greetings!

        I have a question about importing Hebrew into Mellel, or, more
        accurately, cutting and pasting Hebrew text. Using the Bible software
        Accordance, I cut Hebrew text and paste it into Mellel, with the
        preference in Accordance set to Unicode text.

        When I paste text, the vowel points, etc. don't line up correctly
        unless the "Ligature" option is checked in Mellel Character Styles.
        Generally it is no problem to select this option, but this seems a
        strange thing to require for Hebrew fonts.

        The Hebrew Unicode fonts I am using are those from Linguist Software.
        For some reason, Lucida Grande shows up correctly, with or without
        the "Ligature" option checked.

        Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance.

        Alan Ludwig

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bernard Bell
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2007
          I do exactly this very frequently: cut and paste from Accordance into
          Mellel in Unicode. I have never had any trouble with any Unicode fonts
          whether Linguists' Software, SIL (Ezra) or SBL.
          The Linguists' Software font is use in NewJerusalemU.

          - Bernard Bell

          On Dec 4, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Alan Ludwig wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > I have a question about importing Hebrew into Mellel, or, more
          > accurately, cutting and pasting Hebrew text. Using the Bible software
          > Accordance, I cut Hebrew text and paste it into Mellel, with the
          > preference in Accordance set to Unicode text.
          >
          > When I paste text, the vowel points, etc. don't line up correctly
          > unless the "Ligature" option is checked in Mellel Character Styles.
          > Generally it is no problem to select this option, but this seems a
          > strange thing to require for Hebrew fonts.
          >
          > The Hebrew Unicode fonts I am using are those from Linguist Software.
          > For some reason, Lucida Grande shows up correctly, with or without
          > the "Ligature" option checked.
          >
          > Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Alan Ludwig
        • Alan Ludwig
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2007
            Have you tried checking and unchecking the "Ligatures" option in
            character styles? Does it make a difference?

            Alan

            On Dec 5, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Bernard Bell wrote:

            > I do exactly this very frequently: cut and paste from Accordance into
            > Mellel in Unicode. I have never had any trouble with any Unicode fonts
            > whether Linguists' Software, SIL (Ezra) or SBL.
            > The Linguists' Software font is use in NewJerusalemU.
            >
            > - Bernard Bell
            >
            > On Dec 4, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Alan Ludwig wrote:
            >
            > > Greetings!
            > >
            > > I have a question about importing Hebrew into Mellel, or, more
            > > accurately, cutting and pasting Hebrew text. Using the Bible
            > software
            > > Accordance, I cut Hebrew text and paste it into Mellel, with the
            > > preference in Accordance set to Unicode text.
            > >
            > > When I paste text, the vowel points, etc. don't line up correctly
            > > unless the "Ligature" option is checked in Mellel Character Styles.
            > > Generally it is no problem to select this option, but this seems a
            > > strange thing to require for Hebrew fonts.
            > >
            > > The Hebrew Unicode fonts I am using are those from Linguist
            > Software.
            > > For some reason, Lucida Grande shows up correctly, with or without
            > > the "Ligature" option checked.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Alan Ludwig

          • Yampolsky Alexander
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 5, 2007

              On Dec 5, 2007, at 07:49, Alan Ludwig wrote:

              Have you tried checking and unchecking the "Ligatures" option in
              character styles? Does it make a difference?

              I've just tried this with the EzraSIL - no difference, everything works OK.

              Normally I use New Peninim and it works well.

              Alex