Greek: Display issue of accent grave in Mellel

  • kveldalf
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      RE: Greek characters with dasia and oxia (rough breathing and accent
      grave) do not display in Mellel properly. They DO appear in TextEdit
      correctly. Simply copy and paste the example into TextEdit and then
      in Mellel and use one of the below typefaces. Examining the font
      table in FontLab doesn't reveal any missing (combining) glyphs. It's
      like the screen display of these accents is compromised inside of Mellel.

      Fonts:
      GFS Elpis, Neohellenic, Porson, Theokritos
      http://www.greekfontsociety.org/pages/en_typefaces19th.html

      Unicode characters that have dasia and oxia but do not display
      properly (i.e. very very very faint):
      1F05 ἅ, 1F0D Ἅ,
      1F15 ἕ, 1F1D Ἕ,
      1F25 ἥ, 1F2D Ἥ,
      1F35 ἵ, 1F3D Ἵ,
      1F45 ὅ, 1F4D Ὅ,
      1F55 ὕ, 1F5D Ὕ,
      [small omega with dasia and oxia comes out correctly], 1F6D Ὥ,
      1F85 ᾅ, 1F8D ᾍ,
      1F95 ᾕ, 1F9D ᾝ,
      1FA5 [oddly, small omege with dasia & oxia AND ypogegrammeni does not
      display correctly ᾥ], 1FAD ᾭ

      In addition to these, there are other characters with only some accent
      variations that display exceedingly faint.
      1F74 ὴ, 1FB0 ᾰ, 1FB1 ᾱ, 1FB2 ᾲ, 1FB8 Ᾰ, 1FB9 Ᾱ, 1FBA Ὰ ,
      1FC2 ῂ, 1FC8 Ὲ, 1FCA Ὴ,
      1FE0 ῠ, 1FE1 ῡ, 1FE8 Ῠ, 1FE9 Ῡ, 1FEA Ὺ,
      1FF2 ῲ, 1FF8 Ὸ, 1FFA Ὼ.

      I've tried OT and TT versions of these fonts and they both do the same
      things. I first suspected a font issue, but wanted to get feedback if
      this is in anyway an OS X issue, or even a Mellel issue since, again,
      these DO display correctly in TextEdit.
    • RedleX Mail

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
          Ori,

          You must be happy it is not with Mellel, but with the font.
          On 08.10.2007, at 22:22, RedleX Mail wrote:

          I'm afraid the problem is not with Mellel but with the font. If you look into those fonts with the Character palette you'll see that they have some combinations with very thin dasia and oxia. For example, alpha with dasia and oxia, but omega with dasia and oxia looks fine. I think there's not much to do here, as this is part of the font design that's faulty.
          You'll also get the same result with Mellel and TextEdit (or any other application).

          Ori

          <pastedGraphic.tiff>

          On 3 Oct 2007, at 01:55, kveldalf wrote:

          RE: Greek characters with dasia and oxia (rough breathing and accent
          grave) do not display in Mellel properly. They DO appear in TextEdit
          correctly. Simply copy and paste the example into TextEdit and then
          in Mellel and use one of the below typefaces. Examining the font
          table in FontLab doesn't reveal any missing (combining) glyphs. It's
          like the screen display of these accents is compromised inside of Mellel.

          Fonts:
          GFS Elpis, Neohellenic, Porson, Theokritos
          http://www.greekfon tsociety. org/pages/ en_typefaces19th .html

          Unicode characters that have dasia and oxia but do not display
          properly (i.e. very very very faint):
          1F05 &#7941;, 1F0D &#7949;,
          1F15 &#7957;, 1F1D &#7965;,
          1F25 &#7973;, 1F2D &#7981;,
          1F35 &#7989;, 1F3D &#7997;,
          1F45 &#8005;, 1F4D &#8013;,
          1F55 &#8021;, 1F5D &#8029;,
          [small omega with dasia and oxia comes out correctly], 1F6D &#8045;,
          1F85 &#8069;, 1F8D &#8077;,
          1F95 &#8085;, 1F9D &#8093;,
          1FA5 [oddly, small omege with dasia & oxia AND ypogegrammeni does not
          display correctly &#8101;], 1FAD &#8109;

          In addition to these, there are other characters with only some accent
          variations that display exceedingly faint.
          1F74 &#8052;, 1FB0 &#8112;, 1FB1 &#8113;, 1FB2 &#8114;, 1FB8 &#8120;, 1FB9 &#8121;, 1FBA &#8122; ,
          1FC2 &#8130;, 1FC8 &#8136;, 1FCA &#8138;,
          1FE0 &#8160;, 1FE1 &#8161;, 1FE8 &#8168;, 1FE9 &#8169;, 1FEA &#8170;,
          1FF2 &#8178;, 1FF8 &#8184;, 1FFA &#8186;.

          I've tried OT and TT versions of these fonts and they both do the same
          things. I first suspected a font issue, but wanted to get feedback if
          this is in anyway an OS X issue, or even a Mellel issue since, again,
          these DO display correctly in TextEdit.

          Sorin Paliga
          University of Bucharest / Universitatea din Bucureºti
          Department of Slavic Languages / Catedra de Limbi Slave
          Asociaþia Slaviºtilor din România