Re: [redlex] Custom size

  • Rutie Adler
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
      HI

      Can any one help with telling me how I can convert the following
      garbled text into Hebrew? This is a common problem for me and have
      never learned how to solve it.

      many thanks
      rutie

      äðä äðøåú åééï,

      åäðä äôú ìáøê.

      åäáèú ëä åëä åàéù àéï,

      åéãòú ëé àðé àåøçê.

      On Aug 29, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Janet Nussbaum wrote:

      > Andrew,
      >
      > The page set-up menu reflects OS X system parameters.
      >
      > To set you system to work in English units (not metric units), see
      > System Preference/International /Formats/Measurements Units
      >
      > Janet S.S. Nussbaum
      > Kiriat Ono, Israel
      >
      > ג'נט נוסבאום
      > קרית אונו
      >

      > On 29 Aug, 2007, at 9:12 PM, Andrew-Bede Allsop wrote:
      >
      >> I am wanting to produce a document with a custom size of 9 inches by
      >> 7 inches landscape,
      >> but when I go to Page Set Up I only get measurements as centimeters.
      >> In Mellel preferences I
      >> have the measurement units set as inches. Is there any way that I can
      >> set the document to be
      >> 9" by 7"? I am sure there must be but it is one of those silly things
      >> that eludes me! Many
      >> thanks for any help.
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      Rutie Adler
      Coordinator Hebrew Language Program
      Near Eastern Studies Department
      UC Berkeley
      Berkeley, CA 94720-1940
      (510) 642 4076
    • Janet Nussbaum
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
        Rutie,

        At this point -- once you've copied and pasted the text -- we can't do anything.

        You have to deal with the problem when you receive the text.  The source of this type of Gibberish is often someone using an old PC with pre-standard Hebrew.  You have to correct the text encoding.

        In Mail, click on Message/Text Encoding.
        Try Hebrew (Windows) first.
        If that doesn't work, try Hebrew (ISO-8859-8)

        Sometimes the problem pops up in badly designed web pages.

        In Safari, click View/Text Encoding
        In Firefox click View/Character Encoding

        Janet S.S. Nussbaum
        Kiriat Ono, Israel

        ג'נט נוסבאום
        קרית אונו

        On 5 Sep, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Rutie Adler wrote:

        HI

        Can any one help with telling me how I can convert the following garbled text into Hebrew? This is a common problem for me and have never learned how to solve it.

        many thanks
         rutie

        äðä äðøåú åééï,

        åäðä äôú ìáøê.

        åäáèú ëä åëä åàéù àéï,

        åéãòú ëé àðé àåøçê.

      • sorin_paliga
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
          This may often happen with not only Hebrew, but with a series of other languages when an
          older, custom-encoded font is used. In such cases, font creators simply substituted Roman
          characters with Hebrew, or Arabic, or Greek... chars. Unfortunately, there is no generally
          valid solution, what is worse you may need to re-write the whole text as find-replace
          solution cannot be applied.
          My first ssuggestion is to find the font it was written with, then - when the text become
          readable - try a conversion to a newer, unicode-encoded font.
        • Aram Kerovpyan
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
            The following experience may help you.
            I have many texts in Armenian, written either under Atari, with special fonts, or under Mac (between systems 4 and 9) with postcript fonts, none of them unicode, and all on French keyboard. This means only the glyphes are in Armenian but the encoding is Roman Ascii.
            These texts appear under OSX like yours. I have saved them all with Mellel, by find-replace, and grouping all the actions. The first texts give some work, but then the transfer is so simple. Of course, there's always some corrections to make, but it's worthed.
            You can write to me if you want details.
            Aram

            Rutie Adler a écrit :
[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:redlex-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:redlex-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Visitez nos sites
            Visit our sites
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
              In the newest version (in French), the right window of grouping find and replace actions (shift+Command+F) shows only the first letters of the action names continued with dots, whereas in the older versions I could see the complete name. This obliges me to double-clic each incorporated action to see what it is, whixh is a problem for large action groups. Is this a bug? Can this be corrected?
              AramK
              --
              Visitez nos sites
              Visit our sites
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                This is an issue of window sizing and re-sizing. The same with Romanian and, generally, with languages having longer words than English. May be of course improved.
                On 05.09.2007, at 14:37, Aram Kerovpyan wrote:

                In the newest version (in French), the right window of grouping find and replace actions (shift+Command+ F) shows only the first letters of the action names continued with dots, whereas in the older versions I could see the complete name. This obliges me to double-clic each incorporated action to see what it is, whixh is a problem for large action groups. Is this a bug? Can this be corrected?
                AramK

                --
                Visitez nos sites
                Visit our sites
                Այցելեցէք մեր կայքերը
                www.akn-chant. org
                www.kotchnak. org

                Sorin Paliga
                University of Bucharest / Universitatea din București
                Department of Slavic Languages / Catedra de Limbi Slave
                Asociația Slaviștilor din România

              • Aram Kerovpyan