Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [redhat] RH 7.0 - How stable is it?

Expand Messages
  • Jeff Lane
    ... You shouldnt have any real problems, however, if you do want to upgrade to 7, I would wait another month or so, so that any major issues can be fixed.
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:
      > I'm currently maintaining my company's webserver which right now runs on
      > an i686 with RH 6.2 and Apache. Since it will soon have to be very
      > reliable and effective, I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to
      > upgrade to 7.0 at this point. Is it stable yet? Will my X11/KDE/Gnome

      You shouldnt have any real problems, however, if you do want to upgrade to
      7, I would wait another month or so, so that any major issues can be
      fixed. There is no problem with stability, and your X programs should run
      fine. There are a lot of companies that are currently running Red Hat 7
      in production environments, however, remember that there are always issues
      with any .0 release of anything. So, its more of an at your own risk
      thing, BUT as I said, the 7.0 release is quite reliable and stable.

      As with ANY release, it is imperative to keep up with the bug fixes and
      security patches that are available on our errata pages at
      www.redhat.com/errata. So ultimately, the choice is yours. I would, if I
      were a sysadmin, first install 6.2 on a test box, and then after getting
      that configured the way I want, upgrade that test box to 7.0, and let that
      run for a few weeks, to learn the nuances of upgrading the system, and to
      see what would need to be done in order to keep the server running as it
      should be. That is more of a preventative actions, as it keeps you from
      having many surprises if you upgrade your production server.

      And as always, be sure to back up everything before you upgrade.

      > applications still run, especially if I decide to install KDE 2.0?
      > I have so far been unable to find any negative reports and was therefore
      > wondering if it would be safer to wait until 7.1 if the error-free
      > operation of the system is absolutely vital.

      FIrst, KDE 2.0 is not stable. it's quite buggy, and problematic. The KDE
      people are working hard to resolve the issues that KDE 2.0 has shown, and
      are doing an excellent job with it.

      If it is absolutely vital, then I would have to say wait till 7.1. BUT,
      as I said, there are few problems with 7.0, and when they are discovered,
      there are fixes and patches available within a few days... sometimes as
      quickly as within 24 hours of the bugs discovery.

      --
      (-0-) (-0-) (-0-) <-0-> (-0-) (-0-) (-0-)
      Jeffrey D Lane
      Geek, Star Wars Fanatic, and collector of
      obselete technologies.

      2600 Meridian Parkway (919) 547-0012x168
      Durham, NC 27713 (888) REDHAT1x168

      "I propose that every city have a telephone
      number 119 -- for dyslexics> who have an
      emergency." -George W. Bush
      (-0-) (-0-) (-0-) <-0-> (-0-) (-0-) (-0-)
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.