Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [redhat] RH 7.0 - How stable is it?

Expand Messages
  • Mex
    Hi ... It is never a good idea to make any major changes to a server if you are just about to heavily rely on it, unless you have known issues with what you
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2000
      Hi

      >I'm currently maintaining my company's webserver which right now runs on
      >an i686 with RH 6.2 and Apache. Since it will soon have to be very
      >reliable and effective, I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to
      >upgrade to 7.0 at this point.

      It is never a good idea to make any major changes to a server if you are
      just about to heavily rely on it, unless you have known issues with what
      you have. If it 'aint broke don't fix it (and don't use my usual moto "If
      it 'aint broke fix it until it is").

      >Is it stable yet?

      It seem fine everywhere I've seen it, but I know some people have had problems

      >Will my X11/KDE/Gnome applications still run,

      Yup, should be fine, unless you are using any obscure apps (and even then
      you'll probably be OK)

      >especially if I decide to install KDE 2.0?

      <holy war>
      Don't do it, Stick with Gnome
      </holy war>

      >I have so far been unable to find any negative reports and was therefore
      >wondering if it would be safer to wait until 7.1 if the error-free
      >operation of the system is absolutely vital.

      Check out some of the RedHat NG's, you'll find a few problems reported, you
      can then compare it to your situation.

      TTFN

      Mex
    • Fabio Albertin
      Hello all, I m currently maintaining my company s webserver which right now runs on an i686 with RH 6.2 and Apache. Since it will soon have to be very reliable
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2000
        Hello all,

        I'm currently maintaining my company's webserver which right now runs on
        an i686 with RH 6.2 and Apache. Since it will soon have to be very
        reliable and effective, I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to
        upgrade to 7.0 at this point. Is it stable yet? Will my X11/KDE/Gnome
        applications still run, especially if I decide to install KDE 2.0?
        I have so far been unable to find any negative reports and was therefore
        wondering if it would be safer to wait until 7.1 if the error-free
        operation of the system is absolutely vital.

        Thanks.

        Bye,

        Fabio
      • Jeff Lane
        ... You shouldnt have any real problems, however, if you do want to upgrade to 7, I would wait another month or so, so that any major issues can be fixed.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
          On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:
          > I'm currently maintaining my company's webserver which right now runs on
          > an i686 with RH 6.2 and Apache. Since it will soon have to be very
          > reliable and effective, I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to
          > upgrade to 7.0 at this point. Is it stable yet? Will my X11/KDE/Gnome

          You shouldnt have any real problems, however, if you do want to upgrade to
          7, I would wait another month or so, so that any major issues can be
          fixed. There is no problem with stability, and your X programs should run
          fine. There are a lot of companies that are currently running Red Hat 7
          in production environments, however, remember that there are always issues
          with any .0 release of anything. So, its more of an at your own risk
          thing, BUT as I said, the 7.0 release is quite reliable and stable.

          As with ANY release, it is imperative to keep up with the bug fixes and
          security patches that are available on our errata pages at
          www.redhat.com/errata. So ultimately, the choice is yours. I would, if I
          were a sysadmin, first install 6.2 on a test box, and then after getting
          that configured the way I want, upgrade that test box to 7.0, and let that
          run for a few weeks, to learn the nuances of upgrading the system, and to
          see what would need to be done in order to keep the server running as it
          should be. That is more of a preventative actions, as it keeps you from
          having many surprises if you upgrade your production server.

          And as always, be sure to back up everything before you upgrade.

          > applications still run, especially if I decide to install KDE 2.0?
          > I have so far been unable to find any negative reports and was therefore
          > wondering if it would be safer to wait until 7.1 if the error-free
          > operation of the system is absolutely vital.

          FIrst, KDE 2.0 is not stable. it's quite buggy, and problematic. The KDE
          people are working hard to resolve the issues that KDE 2.0 has shown, and
          are doing an excellent job with it.

          If it is absolutely vital, then I would have to say wait till 7.1. BUT,
          as I said, there are few problems with 7.0, and when they are discovered,
          there are fixes and patches available within a few days... sometimes as
          quickly as within 24 hours of the bugs discovery.

          --
          (-0-) (-0-) (-0-) <-0-> (-0-) (-0-) (-0-)
          Jeffrey D Lane
          Geek, Star Wars Fanatic, and collector of
          obselete technologies.

          2600 Meridian Parkway (919) 547-0012x168
          Durham, NC 27713 (888) REDHAT1x168

          "I propose that every city have a telephone
          number 119 -- for dyslexics> who have an
          emergency." -George W. Bush
          (-0-) (-0-) (-0-) <-0-> (-0-) (-0-) (-0-)
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.