Re: CD player problem

  • edgkenny <edgkenny@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2003
      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "bkaspar321 <BKaspar321@w...>"
      <BKaspar321@w...> wrote:
      > I installed RH 8.0 and everything went well but now I am trying to
      > get thing up and running and am having a problem with the CD Player.
      > I can play event sound, Linux finds my sound card and I can run a
      > test sound on it fine but when I put a cd in the drive the cdplayer
      > automatically comes up and seems to start playing the track BUT I can
      > not hear any sound. Anyone have any ideas?
      > I have sat here looking through-
      > The Complete Idiots guide to Linux
      > The Linux Cookbook
      > Red Hat Linux Unleashed
      > The Complete Referance Linux
      > And have not found anything to solve the problem.
      > Thanx for any help. Bob K.

      Make sure cable from CD to sound card is connected.
      Check sound mixer to make sure CD volume is not muted and is set to a
      high enough level.
    • Big Bird
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 2003
        Hey man,
        you got good advice. First make sure the connection
        from the CD Player to the sound card is connected
        (happened to me once...doh!). Then go to your "Sound
        and Video" menu and select "Volume Control". Turn up
        the CD, PCM and and Vol. IF it still doesn't work try
        to play an MP3 or WAV. Then let us know. There is more
        that we can do.

        --- "bkaspar321 <BKaspar321@...>"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • bkaspar321 <BKaspar321@worldnet.att.net>
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 7, 2003
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Big Bird <groundhog0339@y...> wrote:
          > Hey man,
          > you got good advice. First make sure the connection
          > from the CD Player to the sound card is connected
          > (happened to me once...doh!). Then go to your "Sound

          Yep! The CDROM plays under WinDoz just fine.

          > and Video" menu and select "Volume Control". Turn up
          > the CD, PCM and and Vol. IF it still doesn't work try
          > to play an MP3 or WAV. Then let us know. There is morethat we can
          do.

          Yep! I seached for and found approx. 125 *.wav files and tried most
          of them. Works just fine
          Sound Mixer has all settings set to max. No cd player sound :-(
          Tried KsCD: The system finds the disk in /dev/cdrom, the player auto
          starts, and the numbers start counting ->No Sound
          Tried "Grip" finds the cdrom tries to play cd ->No Good
          Tried sound card configuration:
          Vendor: Creative Labs
          Model: SB Live! emu10k1
          Module: Emu10k1
          Plays test sound just fine.
          HELP!! :-)

        • pszawar <pankaj_zawar@ril.com>
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
            Hi BKaspar,

            I have exactly same problem. I am able to hear the samply sounds in
            the sound card detection text. HOwever, the cd player shows that it
            is playing the file but I donot hear any sound. Have you being able
            to solve this problem? Please help me with its solution

            I am using red hat 8.0. I am beginner in using linux.

            Pankaj

            <BKaspar321@w...> wrote:
            > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Big Bird <groundhog0339@y...> wrote:
            > > Hey man,
            > > you got good advice. First make sure the connection
            > > from the CD Player to the sound card is connected
            > > (happened to me once...doh!). Then go to your "Sound
            >
            > Yep! The CDROM plays under WinDoz just fine.
            >
            > > and Video" menu and select "Volume Control". Turn up
            > > the CD, PCM and and Vol. IF it still doesn't work try
            > > to play an MP3 or WAV. Then let us know. There is morethat we can
            > do.
            > >

            > Yep! I seached for and found approx. 125 *.wav files and tried most
            > of them. Works just fine
            > Sound Mixer has all settings set to max. No cd player sound :-(
            > Tried KsCD: The system finds the disk in /dev/cdrom, the player
            auto
            > starts, and the numbers start counting ->No Sound
            > Tried "Grip" finds the cdrom tries to play cd ->No Good
            > Tried sound card configuration:
            > Vendor: Creative Labs
            > Model: SB Live! emu10k1
            > Module: Emu10k1
            > Plays test sound just fine.
            > HELP!! :-)

            > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Robin Roe
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
              pszawar <pankaj_zawar@...> wrote:

              >I have exactly same problem. I am able to hear the samply sounds in
              >the sound card detection text. HOwever, the cd player shows that it
              >is playing the file but I donot hear any sound. Have you being able
              >to solve this problem? Please help me with its solution

              Hmm, this sounds more like a hardware problem than software? Can you
              hear CDs playing while in windoze? If not, look inside your case,
              and check to see if the audio cable is still connected between your
              CD-ROM and your soundcard.

              ==ROBIN==
            • pankaj_zawar@ril.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
                Hi Robin
                The cd player works fine in windows xp. so that eliminates the hardware
                problem. also i am able to copy/read files from cd rom. in fact, i have
                used bootable cds to install red hat.

                thanks,

                Pankaj

                Robin Roe <roro@...> on 19-02-2003 12:17:49 PM

                Please respond to redhat@yahoogroups.com

                To: redhat@yahoogroups.com
                cc:
                Subject: Re: [redhat] Re: CD player problem

                pszawar <pankaj_zawar@...> wrote:

                >I have exactly same problem. I am able to hear the samply sounds in
                >the sound card detection text. HOwever, the cd player shows that it
                >is playing the file but I donot hear any sound. Have you being able
                >to solve this problem? Please help me with its solution

                Hmm, this sounds more like a hardware problem than software? Can you
                hear CDs playing while in windoze? If not, look inside your case,
                and check to see if the audio cable is still connected between your
                CD-ROM and your soundcard.

                ==ROBIN==

                To post to the redhat group, send your post to redhat@yahoogroups.com
                To reach the moderators, email to redhat-owner@yahoogroups.com

              • Robin Roe
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
                  pankaj_zawar@... wrote:

                  >Hi Robin
                  >The cd player works fine in windows xp. so that eliminates the hardware
                  >problem.

                  Yes, it does...

                  >also i am able to copy/read files from cd rom. in fact, i have used
                  >bootable cds to install red hat.

                  That would have nothing to do with playing music CDs, as the data
                  from a data CD travels over a completely different cable than the
                  music from a music CD..

                  Ok, second question, how are you playing the CD? Are you trying to
                  mount it? (you don't mount a music CD, you just play it). If you
                  have Gnome installed, run gmix (kmix if you use KDE), is the "CD"
                  channel turned up?

                  What software are you using to play the CD?

                  ==ROBIN==
                • Rebel Lion
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:53, pankaj_zawar@... wrote:
                    > Hi Robin
                    > The cd player works fine in windows xp. so that eliminates the hardware
                    > problem. also i am able to copy/read files from cd rom. in fact, i have
                    > used bootable cds to install red hat.

                    Ok a couple of things to look at,,,,can you hear system sounds ie the start up
                    shut down ones I mean. If these work then it is probably the kmix cd colume
                    setting. If they don't work then you may need to try configuring the sound
                    server from kde, you'll find this in the kde contol panel..I use the open
                    sound system for my sb16..

                    Rebel

                    --
                    Linux user #215413
                    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                      > Ok, second question, how are you playing the CD? Are you trying to
                      > mount it? (you don't mount a music CD, you just play it). If you
                      > have Gnome installed, run gmix (kmix if you use KDE), is the "CD"
                      > channel turned up?
                      >
                      > What software are you using to play the CD?
                      >

                      > ==ROBIN==

                      yes, i am playing the cd. the default audio player(xmms %f) starts and
                      tries to play the file. however, no sound comes. is it that normal
                      audio files (windows audio) do not work in linux? do i need to
                      convert the file format?

                      I also tried playing mp3 files from xmms but with no success. may be i
                      am missing something very basic. please help

                      Pankaj
                    • pszawar <pankaj_zawar@ril.com>
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                        > Ok a couple of things to look at,,,,can you hear system sounds ie
                        the start up
                        > shut down ones I mean. If these work then it is probably the kmix cd
                        colume
                        > setting. If they don't work then you may need to try configuring the
                        sound
                        > server from kde, you'll find this in the kde contol panel..I use the
                        open
                        > sound system for my sb16..
                        >
                        > Rebel

                        Hi Rebel,
                        Thanks for your reply. I am able to hear sounds for key strokes, play
                        *.wav files available in /usr/sounds. there is no sound during the
                        startup.

                        how do i run gmix or kmix? i have using gnome graphical interface. i
                        am very new to linux, so have difficulty understanding its lingo.

                        Pankaj
                      • Big Bird
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                          Hey man,
                          OK, now that we have determined that your sound system
                          works and can play system sounds, we know that your
                          sound card works. The most obvious assumption is that
                          the "CD Volume" isn't turned up. So, go to your menu
                          to where xmms is, and you'll find one called volume
                          control or sound mixer. Open it. One of the selections
                          should be the CD volume. If it is turned up, then the
                          second most obvious thing is that you may need to get
                          an ALSA kernel (or a system driver, since the SBLive
                          system driver is "proprietary", that is, not open
                          source). However, first go to:
                          http://psyche.freshrpms.net/
                          and get everything that says ALSA.
                          Get all the following and install them:

                          1) alsa-driver-0.9.0-fr0.rc7.2.i386.rpm
                          2) alsa-kernel-0.9.0-fr0.rc7.2_2.4.18_24.8.0.i386.rpm
                          3) alsa-lib-0.9.0-fr0.rc7.1.i386.rpm
                          4) alsa-utils-0.9.0-fr0.rc7.1.i386.rpm
                          5) alsa-xmms-0.9.7-fr1.i386.rpm
                          6) alsaplayer-0.99.74-fr1.i386.rpm

                          When you are done, go to:
                          http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=44773&release_id=113326
                          and get: emu10k1-v0.20a.tar.bz2
                          and: emu-tools-0.9.4-1.i386.rpm
                          Once the tar.bz2 unzipped, it needs to be installed:
                          1) Open a terminal (konsole, terminal)
                          2) cd ./(the unzipped file)
                          3) ./configure && make
                          4) su
                          5) make install
                          6) Then install the RPM file

                          Erase the contents of the /tmp file, then reboot
                          (I know, but rebooting will reinitialize the /tmp
                          file)

                          Tell me how it goes.

                          --- "pszawar <pankaj_zawar@...>"
                          <pankaj_zawar@...> wrote:
                          > > Ok a couple of things to look at,,,,can you hear
                          > system sounds ie
                          > the start up
                          > > shut down ones I mean. If these work then it is
                          > probably the kmix cd
                          > colume
                          > > setting. If they don't work then you may need to
                          > try configuring the
                          > sound
                          > > server from kde, you'll find this in the kde
                          > contol panel..I use the
                          > open
                          > > sound system for my sb16..
                          > >
                          > > Rebel
                          > >
                          > Hi Rebel,
                          > Thanks for your reply. I am able to hear sounds for
                          > key strokes, play
                          > *.wav files available in /usr/sounds. there is no
                          > sound during the
                          > startup.
                          >
                          > how do i run gmix or kmix? i have using gnome
                          > graphical interface. i
                          > am very new to linux, so have difficulty
                          > understanding its lingo.
                          >
                          > Pankaj

                          http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        • Stan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                            Just a techie note: be sure that your cd has the sound cable running
                            from the back of the cd to the sound card/mother board. Obvious, I
                            know, but you'd be surprised!

                            Stan

                            On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 06:16, pszawar wrote:

                            > > Ok, second question, how are you playing the CD? Are you trying to
                            > > mount it? (you don't mount a music CD, you just play it). If you
                            > > have Gnome installed, run gmix (kmix if you use KDE), is the "CD"
                            > > channel turned up?
                            > >
                            > > What software are you using to play the CD?
                            > >

                            > > ==ROBIN==
                            >
                            > yes, i am playing the cd. the default audio player(xmms %f) starts and
                            > tries to play the file. however, no sound comes. is it that normal
                            > audio files (windows audio) do not work in linux? do i need to
                            > convert the file format?
                            >
                            > I also tried playing mp3 files from xmms but with no success. may be i
                            > am missing something very basic. please help
                            >
                            > Pankaj
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            > To post to the redhat group, send your post to redhat@yahoogroups.com
                            > To reach the moderators, email to redhat-owner@yahoogroups.com

                            Stan <stanking@...>

                          • Robin Roe
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                              Stan wrote:

                              >Just a techie note: be sure that your cd has the sound cable running
                              >from the back of the cd to the sound card/mother board. Obvious, I
                              >know, but you'd be surprised!

                              That was already established; he can play audio CDs while in
                              windoze.

                              ==ROBIN==
                            • Big Bird
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                Hey man,
                                Oh, and as to the MP3 proble with xmms, get this:
                                http://psyche.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=106
                                This is the RPM you'll need to get your MP3 files playing.

                                http://shopping.yahoo.com
                              • pszawar <pankaj_zawar@ril.com>
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                  Hi,
                                  Though i donot understand any of this commands, I tried to follow the
                                  steps. getting folloeing problem:

                                  1. alsaplayer:
                                  error message: cannot install this as xosd and libflac.so.4 not
                                  available. i have downloaded xosd but couldnot locate other

                                  2. i am not sure how to do config and make
                                  i did this
                                  configdir = ./config
                                  make

                                  error message:
                                  //lib/modules/2.4.18-14/build directory does not exist. Please edit
                                  the file config in this directory and set kernel_source to the correct
                                  location of your kernel source

                                  that is all. i will follow the remaining procedure tommorrow.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Pankaj

                                • Rebel Lion
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:27, pszawar <pankaj_zawar@...> wrote:
                                    > Hi,
                                    > Though i donot understand any of this commands, I tried to follow the
                                    > steps. getting folloeing problem:
                                    >
                                    > 1. alsaplayer:
                                    > error message: cannot install this as xosd and libflac.so.4 not
                                    > available. i have downloaded xosd but couldnot locate other
                                    >
                                    > 2. i am not sure how to do config and make
                                    > i did this
                                    > configdir = ./config
                                    > make

                                    If you are using rpm's then the command to build is rpm -ivh packagename.rpm
                                    or if you already have a version installed rpm -Uvh packagename.rpm

                                    When instlling rpm's I ususally bring up a shell on my desktop log in as su to
                                    it and install from there. I also have a browser up and logged in to
                                    http://rpmfind.net
                                    and use that to locate further packages that are required..

                                    Rebel

                                    --
                                    Linux user #215413
                                    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                      Hey man,
                                      You have done an excellent job so far.
                                      Ok, now as to the ALSA player: It isn't necessary, so
                                      just ignore it for now.
                                      Now as far as compiling an application:
                                      1) First, untar/unzip the file (ARK will usually do
                                      this if you double click the .tar.bz2 file and
                                      then select the "extract" button from the pop-up
                                      dialog box, or right click the icon and select
                                      "extract here")

                                      2) The files in the tar.bz2 file should be extracted
                                      to a folder.
                                      3) Open a Konsole or xterm and cd ./(the name of the
                                      folder)
                                      4) Once in the folder, type the following exactly:
                                      ./configure && make (wait for this to finish)
                                      su (going need to enter root pass)
                                      make install (wait again, then you're done)

                                      Now, this is the latest Sound Blaster driver for
                                      supporting the latest (newest) chipsets (sound cards).
                                      If it still doesn't work, then we'll need to get the
                                      older driver. But we pray for the best. Good luck.

                                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                    • bkaspar321 <BKaspar321@worldnet.att.net>
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                        Hi-
                                        Since I am the one that started this thread with my question I will
                                        answer you but YOU WON'T LIKE IT. Somewhere (I don't know which one.)
                                        there is a volumn control that is set to zero, I gave up on the sound
                                        issue and was just looking around the differnt folders trying to
                                        figure out how Linx was setup and came across the panal and
                                        the "Slider" was set low. I wish I could tell you where it was but I
                                        really don't know where it was, it MAY have been in KDE instead of
                                        Gnome, try going to the other setup and see if you can find anything.
                                        These people are telling it like it is. The best bet is the volumn.
                                        Bob K.

                                        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "pszawar <pankaj_zawar@r...>"

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                          Hi Big Bird,

                                          thank you very much for guiding me to install the audio driver. i am
                                          very new to linux and therefore need step by step commands.i highly
                                          appreciate your taking out time to help me

                                          I am getting error message:
                                          1../configure
                                          file or directory does not exist

                                          2. make

                                          make -Cscripts
                                          make[1]: Entering directory `/root/emu10k1-v0.20a/scripts'

                                          /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/build directory does not exist. Please edit the
                                          file 'config'
                                          in this directory and set KERNEL_SOURCE to the correct location of your
                                          kernel source.

                                          You are currently running kernel version 2.4.18-14, the source code should
                                          be for this version.

                                          make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/emu10k1-v0.20a/scripts'

                                          3. ./configure && make
                                          same error message

                                          4.
                                          the build file in /lib/modules/2.4.18-14 shows following error:
                                          This link can't be used, because its target
                                          "../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14" doesn't exist. Do you want to put
                                          this link in the Trash?

                                          please guide me to install the audio driver. probably i am missing
                                          something.

                                          thanks...

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                            Hey man,
                                            It seems that this install could get way above your
                                            head (Now that I have reviewed it). For clarification,
                                            please give us the full name of the sound card. And
                                            I'll see if ALSA or OSS already has suport before I
                                            proceed.

                                            --- "pszawar <pankaj_zawar@...>"

                                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/