Re: Perhaps a foolish notion...

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2003
      On 18:39 06 Jan 2003, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@...> wrote:
      | I received my copy of RH8.0 for my birthday, but I suspect that Disc 1 was
      | bad. Would it be realistic to download the ISO for disc 1 from Redhat's
      | website (in Windows, since my Linux box is unusable right now), then copy
      | that onto a CD and use that CD as disc 1 of the installation?

      Yes, if you have the bandwidth.
      --
      Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

      There's a difference between skepticism and nihilism.
      - Doug Jones <random@...>
    • Big Bird
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
        Hey man,
        By all means, go to "www.linuxiso.org" to get the
        latest download of RedHat 8 CD ISO, then use Easy CD
        Creator or whatever to make a new disk.

        wrote:
        > I received my copy of RH8.0 for my birthday, but I
        > suspect that Disc 1 was
        > bad. Would it be realistic to download the ISO for
        > disc 1 from Redhat's
        > website (in Windows, since my Linux box is unusable
        > right now), then copy
        > that onto a CD and use that CD as disc 1 of the
        > installation?
        >

        > Sliante,
        > Richard S. Crawford
        >
        > http://www.mossroot.com
        > AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
        > MSN: underpope@...
        >
        > "It is only with the heart that we see rightly; what
        > is essential is
        > invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exup�ry
        >
        > "Push the button, Max!"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Richard S. Crawford
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
          That's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, it's not the CD that's bad at
          this point. It appears to be my package management database that's screwed
          up. I'm trying to figure out how to repair my system without reinstalling
          completely.

          At 11:03 AM 1/7/2003, you wrote:
          >Hey man,
          >By all means, go to "www.linuxiso.org" to get the
          >latest download of RedHat 8 CD ISO, then use Easy CD
          >Creator or whatever to make a new disk.

          Sliante,
          Richard S. Crawford

          http://www.mossroot.com
          AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
          MSN: underpope@...

          invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

          "Push the button, Max!"
        • Sriram Rajan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
            Hi,

            I believe you should contact Redhat and ask them for a replacement CD. I suppose that someone has paid Redhat to get your copy so you must be eligible for a replacement.

            Regards,

            Sriram.

            Message: 5
            Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:14:03 -0800
            From: "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@...>
            Subject: Re: Perhaps a foolish notion...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
              Thanks. I just downloaded the ISO and burned it on to a new CD.

              At 07:29 AM 1/8/2003, Sriram Rajan wrote:
              >Hi,
              >
              >I believe you should contact Redhat and ask them for a replacement CD. I
              >suppose that someone has paid Redhat to get your copy so you must be
              >eligible for a replacement.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Sriram.

              Sliante,
              Richard S. Crawford

              http://www.mossroot.com
              AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
              MSN: underpope@...

              invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

              "Push the button, Max!"
            • Andres Rosado
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
                On 01:14 PM 1/7/2003 -0800, the keyboard of Richard S. Crawford emitted:
                >That's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, it's not the CD that's bad at
                >this point. It appears to be my package management database that's screwed
                >up. I'm trying to figure out how to repair my system without reinstalling
                >completely.

                I remember reading something about this in ActiveState. There seems to be
                problems with the RPM in RH8.

                --
                Andres Rosado
                Email: andresr@...

                Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
                -- Oscar Wilde