Re: [redhat] ...Expert ...External Modem Problem

  • Ajay Gautam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I heard alot about linux operating system and I
      > installed it in my PC the problem I have is that I
      > can't configure my modem with the system
      >
      > my MODEM is External US Robotics model 5668 and
      > everybody told me that it should work with linux
      > it is using the serial port (COM2)
      > IRQ (3)
      >
      > the distribution I am using is RedHat 8.0
      >

      > My question is can configure my modem using the GUI
      > interface and If I can not ?? I should use the
      > terminal to type the commands...
      >
      > I found on the internet some commands to cofigure
      > the modem but unfortinatly it is not working
      > this is what I did
      >

      > - # su root ( to change to root user )
      > - # cd /dev ( to change directory to devices
      > directory (dev)
      > - # ls -ls modem (to find the modem in the system) i
      > didn't find it..
      > - i found that (COM2) in windows is like ttys1 in
      > linux so I creeated a link between ttys1 and modem
      > - # ln -s ttyS0 modem
      > - next I changed the access mode to the device to
      > allow access to the modem device for all user
      > - # chmod 666 ttyS0
      >
      > After all this steps the computer still can't
      > recognize the modem in my PC.....
      >
      > Linux Expert...... please provide me with your
      > profficinal help .... and share your knowledge with
      > me... I really need your support because it is the
      > first step for me to start working with linux...

      I had similar problems due to a fault com port serial
      cable connecting the modem to the com port.

      Apart from that, all I can think of is the power
      system: Is the power cable connected to the modem ? Is
      it on ? Yes, this happened to me. After about half
      hour, of trying, I realized that yje modem was off !!

      What have you tried to see if the modem is working ? I
      have mandrake / KDE, I ran kPPP and everything worked.
      Somehow, I was not able to configure wv-dial.

      HTH

      =====
      Ajay Gautam
      Tired of unwanted pop-up ads, try http://www.mozilla.org