...Expert ...External Modem Problem

  • Yousef Fanar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi all

      I heard alot about linux operating system and I installed it in my PC the problem I have is that I can't configure my modem with the system

      my MODEM is External US Robotics model 5668 and everybody told me that it should work with linux
      it is using the serial port (COM2)
      IRQ (3)

      the distribution I am using is RedHat 8.0

      My question is can configure my modem using the GUI interface and If I can not ?? I should use the terminal to type the commands...

      I found on the internet some commands to cofigure the modem but unfortinatly it is not working
      this is what I did

      - # su root ( to change to root user )
      - # cd /dev ( to change directory to devices directory (dev)
      - # ls -ls modem (to find the modem in the system) i didn't find it..
      - i found that (COM2) in windows is like ttys1 in linux so I creeated a link between ttys1 and modem
      - # ln -s ttyS0 modem
      - next I changed the access mode to the device to allow access to the modem device for all user
      - # chmod 666 ttyS0

      After all this steps the computer still can't recognize the modem in my PC.....

      Linux Expert...... please provide me with your profficinal help .... and share your knowledge with me... I really need your support because it is the first step for me to start working with linux...

      Thank you in Advance

    • Ajay Gautam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I heard alot about linux operating system and I
        > installed it in my PC the problem I have is that I
        > can't configure my modem with the system
        >
        > my MODEM is External US Robotics model 5668 and
        > everybody told me that it should work with linux
        > it is using the serial port (COM2)
        > IRQ (3)
        >
        > the distribution I am using is RedHat 8.0
        >

        > My question is can configure my modem using the GUI
        > interface and If I can not ?? I should use the
        > terminal to type the commands...
        >
        > I found on the internet some commands to cofigure
        > the modem but unfortinatly it is not working
        > this is what I did
        >

        > - # su root ( to change to root user )
        > - # cd /dev ( to change directory to devices
        > directory (dev)
        > - # ls -ls modem (to find the modem in the system) i
        > didn't find it..
        > - i found that (COM2) in windows is like ttys1 in
        > linux so I creeated a link between ttys1 and modem
        > - # ln -s ttyS0 modem
        > - next I changed the access mode to the device to
        > allow access to the modem device for all user
        > - # chmod 666 ttyS0
        >
        > After all this steps the computer still can't
        > recognize the modem in my PC.....
        >
        > Linux Expert...... please provide me with your
        > profficinal help .... and share your knowledge with
        > me... I really need your support because it is the
        > first step for me to start working with linux...

        I had similar problems due to a fault com port serial
        cable connecting the modem to the com port.

        Apart from that, all I can think of is the power
        system: Is the power cable connected to the modem ? Is
        it on ? Yes, this happened to me. After about half
        hour, of trying, I realized that yje modem was off !!

        What have you tried to see if the modem is working ? I
        have mandrake / KDE, I ran kPPP and everything worked.
        Somehow, I was not able to configure wv-dial.

        HTH

        =====
        Ajay Gautam
        Tired of unwanted pop-up ads, try http://www.mozilla.org