User with Root power

  • Mazen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hi all

      I have created a user in the 'root' group.
      I wanted this user to have a complete access to everything exactly as
      the root
      user.
      When I telneted to the system I found that I wasn't able to run
      everything.
      Do you have any idea?

      Thanks
      Mazen
    • Mazen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
        Luiz, I have tried this one then I have got the following message "Only root user can get 0 in the user ID number.

        Thanks
        Mazen
        Did u try to put 0 in this new user ID (as the root) in passwd ???

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
          On Oct 4, Mazen wrote to redhat@egroups.com:

          >Luiz, I have tried this one then I have got the following message
          >"Only root user can get 0 in the user ID number.

          Because you used a GUI tool to create the account.

          If you want to create a second UID 0 account, you have to hack it by
          hand, here's how:

          *) In a text editor, open up /etc/passwd
          *) Duplicate the line for root
          *) Change the relevant info like username and personal name and home
          dir to whatever's appropriate
          *) Save and exit /etc/passwd
          *) Open up /etc/shadow in a text editor
          *) Duplicate the line for root
          *) Change the username to what your new UID 0 user is but don't change
          anything else
          *) Save and exit /etc/shadow

          Now you will have a second UID 0 user with the same password as
          root. Change this new user's password, and you're set.

          DON'T eliminate the root account!

          -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
          http://www.blj8.com
          Total Bookmarks in file= 7577
          ---------------------------------
          For PGP key email pgpkey@...

          >Thanks
          >Mazen

        • Brandon Penglase
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000
            I have tried what you all suggest becuase I also needed another user with
            root power. but the problem is, not I can't telnet into my server as this
            user. how can I fix this? or is it just like root where there is no way?

            Brandon Penglase

            Para: redhat@egroups.com

            Hi all

            I have created a user in the 'root' group.
            I wanted this user to have a complete access to everything exactly as
            the root
            user.
            When I telneted to the system I found that I wasn't able to run
            everything.
            Do you have any idea?

            Thanks
            Mazen

            To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
            a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
            Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
            http://www.egroups.com/.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000
              On Oct 5, Brandon Penglase wrote to redhat@egroups.com:

              >I have tried what you all suggest becuase I also needed another user with
              >root power. but the problem is, not I can't telnet into my server as this
              >user. how can I fix this? or is it just like root where there is no way?

              Yup, just like root. Both root and this new user are UID 0, so as far as
              the system's concerned, both are root. The PAM routines that control
              login go by UID, not username.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000
                That Sucks... but I don't think I have PAM.... I have SlackWare 7, not RH.
                Anyway, there is a internet service that on IRC network I'm on uses and
                sometimes I do a who and I see root logged in on pts/0 or some # like
                that... how did they do this? The main reason I would like root login
                remote would be so I have complete control without several "layers" down
                with users between. I would like not to get on the server console if needed,
                even tho it is sitting in my room :P

                Brandon P.

                >I have tried what you all suggest becuase I also needed another user with
                >root power. but the problem is, not I can't telnet into my server as this
                >user. how can I fix this? or is it just like root where there is no way?

                Yup, just like root. Both root and this new user are UID 0, so as far as
                the system's concerned, both are root. The PAM routines that control
                login go by UID, not username.

                -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
                http://www.blj8.com
                Total Bookmarks in file= 7577
              • Tyson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2000
                  I am running Redhat 6.1

                  VERY recently, I have been getting out of memory messages for procmail and
                  klogd. Once these messages popup, My company can no longer pickup their
                  mail off of the Linux box. It says it is not able to connect to eh server.
                  I then do a reboot and a few people can pull down their mail. Then the
                  error messages popup. I ran "df" to see my disk space and it says I am
                  using 76% of it. DO I need to clean up my hard disk? How can I fix these
                  error messages? What can I do to keep my server up and running and allow
                  everyone to pull down their mail?

                  Thanks in advance!

                  Tyson C. Philippi
                  Tysonp@...
                  Global Mfg & Assembly- General Manager
                  www.bayercnc.com
                  e-Nitiate Consulting Services, Inc.- President
                  www.e-nitiatecon.com
                • Brian L. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2000
                    On Oct 6, Tyson wrote to redhat@egroups.com:

                    >VERY recently, I have been getting out of memory messages for procmail and
                    >klogd. Once these messages popup, My company can no longer pickup their
                    >mail off of the Linux box. It says it is not able to connect to eh server.
                    >I then do a reboot and a few people can pull down their mail. Then the
                    >error messages popup. I ran "df" to see my disk space and it says I am
                    >using 76% of it. DO I need to clean up my hard disk? How can I fix these
                    >error messages? What can I do to keep my server up and running and allow
                    >everyone to pull down their mail?

                    You can do "cat /proc/meminfo" to see a report on free and used
                    memory. If most of the memory is in use, try running top to see what's
                    consuming so much memory (might be an erroneous process).

                    If nothing else, there's always the possibility of adding more RAM,
                    however, I think it's something more like a rogue or runaway process
                    eating RAM...